HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:16 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model View Post
We and our business partners were wondering same thing. This is probably the best explanation. It all comes down to marketing and customer service. We are only glad that big company brings more people to the hobby. In the hobby industry we are not real competitors more like partners. We do not have such a resources, as HH.

Zb/Esprit Model
I'm still a beginner with soaring after wrecking four Radian Pros . I was looking seriously at the Proxima. When Horizon announced their entry, I noted a slightly better wing loading, and most important, it was Horizon. Their customer service is outstanding. So, for my first real sailplane I wanted to minimize the risk.

But, after I cut my teeth on this machine, I will be looking at your selections.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:13 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,253 Posts
This last post ^^^^^ is a good example of how Horizon builds their market. They created a parkflyer/glider crowd with the radian, then showed the world how the pro could be flown as more advanced style and now that same crowd (about 1/2 world population of R/C) is ready and excited for the Mystique. That crowd has been developed by Horizon's successful marketing of their precusor planes.

Talk about a gateway drug
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Last edited by JimNM; Oct 11, 2012 at 08:49 AM. Reason: stupid smart phone
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:42 AM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
346 Posts
Well this is just depressing - in Australia we still have (apparently) 3-4 weeks to wait until our first shipment arrives... and all this stuff is just sitting around waiting to go in to the Mystique...
timography is offline Find More Posts by timography
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:49 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,918 Posts
Pretty....
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:59 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
This last post ^^^^^ is a good example of how Horizon builds their market. They created a parkflyer/glider crowd with the radian, then showed the world how the pro could be flown as more advanced style and now that same crowd (about 1/2 world population of R/C) is ready and excited for the Mystique. That crowd has been developed by Horizon's successful marketing of their precusor planes.

Talk about a gateway drug
Not only is this great for HH business, but it is great for the glider population as a whole. They have created a whole new population of glider fans out of thin air!

This will promote even more, new gliders from all sorts of providers and will eventually "trickle down" into adding more top end gliders to the market from all companies!

Dolly Parton did something similar about a decade ago. She was a has been in Nashville so she turned to the world of bluegrass which was an up and coming market. She recorded an incredible album with the the best players in the world. Not only did she sell to existing fans of bluegrass, but she brought new fans to bluegrass as well! It helped everyone.

Then she followed up with a second album with most of the same players from the first album but with a different feel. It was less bluegrass and more traditional. Then she followed up with a third album of all of her own original material. The material was very traditional/ folksy in comparison to the first two albums. But by this time she had everyone's attention. She used cheaper musicians and she got the royalties as song writer for all the songs. This album was no where near as good as the first two, but I bet she made WAY more money due to the cheaper talent and the fact that she owned the songwriting!

Still, in the end she brought a huge fan base to bluegrass that had never been there before!
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:21 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,404 Posts
And according to your theory made a load of money with an inferior product.

Doubtlessly this won't win me any popularity points but go into this (or any) with always-open eyes, guys. Marketing IS marketing. With one & only one goal in mind. Period.

Just sayin'....
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post

Doubtlessly this won't win me any popularity points but go into this (or any) with always-open eyes, guys. Marketing IS marketing. With one & only one goal in mind. Period.

Just sayin'....
For those of us here who aren't quite as quick, could you clarify that just a bit? It is hard to follow a conversation when some of the comments are too cryptic.
Himself is offline Find More Posts by Himself
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:33 AM
United States, OH, Loveland
Joined Feb 2007
364 Posts
Well I guess no one has flown this bird yet because I haven't gotten any comments if it tip stalls.
sinowace is online now Find More Posts by sinowace
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:39 AM
Fly It Like You Stole It.....
United States, NY, Fulton
Joined Jan 2009
379 Posts
There is no question that Eflite/Horizon Hobby make a boat load of money on what they sell, but I believe that is what they are in business for. Those company's have given the R/C aircraft world a ton of quality planes and helicopters. They almost single handedly brought R/C helicopters to the masses. Yes they have had a few misses but for all practical purposes they taught the majority of us to fly helicopters. From my stand point they also brought me into the glider world with the Radian Pro. I'm not, nor ever will be a great glider pilot but you cannot measure the fun and enjoyment I have had with the Radian Pro. So from my stand point they do a great job at getting the novice into this hobby and it looks like the Mystique will just step it up a notch for those who wish to step it up a notch.
moparherb is online now Find More Posts by moparherb
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:57 AM
Red Bluff CA
Joined Sep 2001
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post

Just sayin'....
And marketing works. It's only a bad thing if the product is bad.
Randy
RTaylor is online now Find More Posts by RTaylor
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:44 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparherb View Post
There is no question that Eflite/Horizon Hobby make a boat load of money on what they sell, but I believe that is what they are in business for. ...
Exactly!

And even with the few 'misses', to me one of their strongest points is they have a good track record of making things right. It's a shame there's so many other companies that, shall we say, could learn from this strategy, rather than their 'got your money, screw you' attitudes. HH would, I suppose, tell you straight up front their position has paid its dividends. You can see it thruout this thread & other places as well thru the many expressions of customer loyalty.
The best customers are return customers. Not only do they buy again, and again, each one is a walkin', talkin' advertisement.

&
AFA 'expanding' on the previous post, no thanks. Too many things, tho well spelled out & true beyond a doubt, get taken the wrong way by some who want to read any generalized negativity as direct accusations & wanta stir up the mud for nothing but drama's sake, and it'd take too much explaining to keep it simple, so, pass! Just take what I said at face value, & if you don't see where it could apply just walk on & don't let it bother ya! Big Happy Smile here > <

And as 'The Babe' once said standing on 2nd base, "They can't all be homers."
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:54 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,457 Posts
I hope Horizon is very profitable so they can pay people to work there, continue to provide excellent customer service and keep turning out great products.

They earn every penny!
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:00 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
Not only is this great for HH business, but it is great for the glider population as a whole. They have created a whole new population of glider fans out of thin air!

This will promote even more, new gliders from all sorts of providers and will eventually "trickle down" into adding more top end gliders to the market from all companies!
This is indeed the big upside. Just look at the Radian and Radian Pro threads: lots and lots of noobs trying to get a handle on gliding for the first time: the trickle-down effect of all this new interest is going to be huge.

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:28 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock 1 View Post
This is indeed the big upside. Just look at the Radian and Radian Pro threads: lots and lots of noobs trying to get a handle on gliding for the first time: the trickle-down effect of all this new interest is going to be huge.

Chris
It all started with the Easy Glider and the Easy Star. People started to learn to thermal these and it started to build from there.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:37 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
It all started with the Easy Glider and the Easy Star. People started to learn to thermal these and it started to build from there.
I learned to fly on the EasyStar, and have had EG's and Radians. They are in my mind very comparable products, but somehow MPX didn't quite have the marketing nous of HH / eFlite / PZ whoever, particularly in N America it seems...

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1