HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:46 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Not likely. This is a wood/glass performance bird that deserves open-stock class electronics. Pretty tough to pre-install top-class electronics and still hit a price point that customers are willing to buy.
Makes sense. It also gives us some flexibility to choose what goes in, plus we may have some of the components on hand already. For example I have an AR8000 Rx put aside for it.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:51 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Quote:
I couldnt resist - just pre-ordered one from my LHS. They will be in Australia mid-October. About $489AUD retail apparently...
Which is your LHS? I have contacted mine yesterday.....haven't heard back as yet.

Maybe we should aim for a double-maiden!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:51 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
I'm going to wait for some reviews but it's on my wish list!

9-11 oz/sq. ft. isn't very much for a 3 meter wing. Leaving the clumsy math for those who are better at it; it's about like 7-8 on a 2 meter. Not a pure floater but a good sport thermal sailplane that would do just fine in contests if there's decent lift. And it looks like it will support enough power for near "warmliner" performance!

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:54 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,348 Posts
uh oh - I think I'm in love...
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:25 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
Hi, Jim.

It looks like it would share most of the characteristics of the Passer/Specter in a bigger and stronger package. It would also probably be closer to a pure floater as long as one doesn't get carried away on the electronics. It shouldn't be too hard to find a motor a little over 100grams for 400-500w? A light metal gear servo should be enough. Keep it as light as possible and it would be sweeeeeet!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:58 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,348 Posts
Yes sir, I am a believer

This motor on 3s
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail

or this one (I have 3x of these) on 3s or 4s

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:24 AM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
Which is your LHS? I have contacted mine yesterday.....haven't heard back as yet.

Maybe we should aim for a double-maiden!!!
Hi

Ordered mine from Scott @ ACE R/C Midland. Price and arrival date are 'firm estimates' - so will see how it goes
timography is online now Find More Posts by timography
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:11 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Ordered mine from Scott @ ACE R/C Midland. Price and arrival date are 'firm estimates' - so will see how it goes
Sounds promising! My LHS (although not local to me really) had no idea when, but they are going to let me know when they have information. That is MAS Hobbies in Westminster.

If you plan to go for the full electric setup, don't forget to tell them to order the prop and spinner for you.

I got my servos, ESC and motor on its way from A Main hobbies.

Just got the measure tape out on my kitchen bench to visualise 2.9m. Holy Cow!

I know gliders / sailplanes get way bigger, but that is a step up from my 2m planes.

Can't wait!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:31 AM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
Makes sense. It also gives us some flexibility to choose what goes in, plus we may have some of the components on hand already. For example I have an AR8000 Rx put aside for it.
I didnt even think of that way. I have an AR6000X that would fit the bill here. What motor and servos? I have built may planes and helis over the years but never a glider. I was aiming towards the Albatros from ESpirit but I'm starting to like this thing more and more. I cant wait for some flight reviews.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:38 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
I've gone with the power setup as suggested on the Eflite page.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Re...ProdId=EFL4905
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:30 AM
Team Horizon Hobby - Surface
Renton
Joined Sep 2006
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
Not likely. This is a wood/glass performance bird that deserves open-stock class electronics. Pretty tough to pre-install top-class electronics and still hit a price point that customers are willing to buy.
Dave,

I'm very new to flying, and Electric Sailplanes in particular, having spent my last 8-years or so in the FE boating end of things... Can you explain what you mean by "Open-Stock class electronics"??

I'm going to be ordering one of these, and was considering just ordering the HH recommended list of parts, but would definitely consider going "bigger/better"...

I plan to use this, or my Radian Pro, as an entry to our local ALES competitions and explore that part of the hobby.
Darin Jordan is offline Find More Posts by Darin Jordan
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:13 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Jun 2006
647 Posts
Craig Greening is offline Find More Posts by Craig Greening
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:27 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Anyone know when they will be back in stock?
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Aug 22, 2012, 03:07 PM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
I think this looks like a really nice glider, I might have to get me one aswell. I already have a power 25, 60a esc and 8ch fasst rx sitting around
txg8gxp is offline Find More Posts by txg8gxp
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:32 PM
Team Horizon Hobby - Surface
Renton
Joined Sep 2006
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by txg8gxp View Post
I think this looks like a really nice glider, I might have to get me one aswell. I already have a power 25, 60a esc and 8ch fasst rx sitting around
Do you guys think the 60A ESC leave plenty of headroom with the Power 25 recommended, or would the 80A be better???

I'm used to spec'ing power systems for boats... a little new to selecting them for Airplanes...
Darin Jordan is offline Find More Posts by Darin Jordan