HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
we will be getting our mystiques in the hobby shop this friday. I plan to use a power 25 i have laying around, a extreme flight airboss 60a esc that is still NIB laying around, a7020 wing servos, a4020 for the tails, a castle 10a bec and the stock spinner prop to start. I will most likely upgrade the prop and maybe even the spinner. I will be using some 3s 3300 30c turnigy packs. For radio setup I will use my Futaba 8fg super with a R6208SB 8 channel rx.
txg8gxp is offline Find More Posts by txg8gxp
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:46 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,928 Posts
Horizon just charged my card. Mine should be arriving soon.
The servos are setup and ready to mount. I have the motor and ESC. Waiting on airframe and prop.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:49 PM
United States, TX, San Angelo
Joined Nov 2007
89 Posts
Mine is on the way!!! I'm going to try an Axi 2826/10 swinging an AeroNaut 14x8

Carl
CarlMalone is offline Find More Posts by CarlMalone
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:07 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,135 Posts
Saw one at the LHS today. Looks nice. Will have to sell a few things and pick one up.
Belem is online now Find More Posts by Belem
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined Jan 2007
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
TK,

Not looking for a new glider. I have too many now. ( No dear I didn't mean I needed to sell some of them. ) My main gliders are much higher end than this one. And I have gliders in the racks, both e and pure, that I have yet to fly, so can't really justify buying one, even at this price.

But I am always looking for something I can recommend to others. The price point looks very attractive. I am sure it will do well as an e-glider. My interest is how well it will do as a pure glider. How well it launches on a winch is a real interest. I am not expecting it to launch like a Supra, but how delicate will you really need to be?

The manual appears to be extremely well done. I like the way they accounted for this being built as a pure glider or an electric glider. If you want you could easily make it convertible so it could be flown either way. But I would suspect that the vast majority will go into the sky as electric gliders.
http://www.e-fliterc.com/ProdInfo/Fi...905-Manual.pdf

With a wing loading between 10 and 11 ounces, this will be no floater. It should be very good in windy conditions at that wing loading. I would bet it would be wonderful as a slope glider. Beautiful to the eye and elegant in flight.

Radian pilots be aware that this will need to glide faster than the Radian (WL about 6.5 oz.) or even the Radian Pro (WL around 8 ounces). So be prepared to keep the glide speed up.

But she should move around the sky very well and move from thermal to thermal well. This will be a very different experience from flying a Radian. With the mystique and a Radian or a Pro you will have a nice wide range of gliders to fly depending on conditions and how you want to fly today.

Trailing edge mixing will be important on this glider, much more so than on the Radian Pro. You will definitely want thermal camber and reflex mixing. And flap to elevator mixing will be very valuable to bring it in smoothly for landing. You can certainly fly it on a DX6i or similar radio. Use the Radian Pro profiles provided by Horizon hobby to help you set up your radio. However, but once you get a taste of thermal soaring with this beauty your eyes may start to look toward true sailplane radios. (more toys to buy! )

It looks like a very nice package at an exceptional price. And seeing the photos of the fit and finish raises my expectations even higher.

Now, if they would just get the name of the airfoil right. But I guess we can't have everything.
Glide speed is similar to the Radian with 4mm of camber, and runs awesome with 1.5mm of reflex. In general it has very good speed range. I've also done a lot of testing with no foil modification and it's also very good. Has moderate float with clean foil and playing around with the trim position in pitch you can still have a reasonable float, cruse and speed configuration..
ED good to see you so active in this thread, shame your not planning on one for yourself I think you would love it plus you would have far more quantitative information for the readers owning one for yourself.
Many (about 20 pilots) got their hands on it at the Soaring Masters this year and loved it. Kent Nogy will have one at Visalia in the electric event tomorrow, Iím sure if you ask him nicely he will give you a flight throughout the weekend. Unfortunately I wont be able to make it due to family commitments.
My apologies for the Airfoil naming, completely my oversight. I used Dr Seligís airfoils for years in my TOC designs, always called them SD, just missed that one. The good news is it has no effect on the performance of the sailplane..
TeamHorizon is offline Find More Posts by TeamHorizon
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:30 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,476 Posts
Thanks Peter. That sound like a really nice speed range. Just what you would want from a full house glider.

I won't be at Visalia. I will be at the Eastern Soaring League End of Season contest in Daniel Boone PA. But I would like to make it to Visalia some day.

Thanks for the report. Sounds very good. Glad to see a worthwhile plane at this price point.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:10 PM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
555 Posts
Saw One!

We had one arrive in our store yesterday, and today I got to fondle it!
It looks good.
The wing loading, with the specified finished weight is just north of 11oz / Sq.ft. Time will tell how this will work in the real world. Obviously it is a different flying style than the good old Radian, but anyone stepping straight up to this may be in for a surprise at the flying speed. I would think something with a wing loading in the 8-9oz might be a better 'middle step'.

I am wondering if by using a lighter motor/battery,stab servo, the weight can be reduced somewhat.

Those who have made the purchase, let the rest of us inquiring minds know please.

regards.

Iain
rev.iain is online now Find More Posts by rev.iain
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:43 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,202 Posts
I would say that 11 oz/ Sq.ft. is very respectable for a ship of this size. But I agree that someone who had experience with nothing but a foam floater should not attempt to fly this plane without help. Anyone who has flown a full house glider shouldn't have any problems although flying a glider of this size has some differences too. My first landings with a 3 meter glider resulted in very, very, long walks! Of course, I taught myself back in the ice age, literally on a frozen lake, by taking advantage of a virtually limitless landing area.

All that being said, this could be a second or third glider for someone who has a suitable field and a helper/instructor but it might be too much for someone who has only been tossing their foamy into the air at the park.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:21 AM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2005
1,023 Posts
Saw one at the LHS in Hurst; are the wing spars carbon reinforced, and are the joiners boxes wrapped?
Twizter68 is offline Find More Posts by Twizter68
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:05 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizter68 View Post
Saw one at the LHS in Hurst; are the wing spars carbon reinforced, and are the joiners boxes wrapped?
Inquiring mind want to know.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:15 AM
United States, OH, Loveland
Joined Feb 2007
334 Posts
I would be interested to know how easy this bird tip stalls?
sinowace is online now Find More Posts by sinowace
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:48 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,253 Posts
I made it down to Visalia today and the Fall Soaring Festival. I learned that Pete Goldsmith did not make it to the event but the Mystique did. Some of my friends so it fly yesterday in an ALES event (I had to work.) Those that saw it said they were impressed by what they saw. One friend from Modesto said he now planned to buy one as did a friend from the Bay Area. The Bay Area friend said it climbed adequately and penetrated well in the afternoon wind. He said he looked it over carefully and liked the construction that he could see.

I saw the plane on display today and looked it over carefully and agreed that it was well constructed. It felt heavy compared to some modern composite planes of the same approximate size, but not all that much heavier. Unfortunately while it was flown in Friday's ALES event it was not flown during the Saturday competition. I was hoping to see it fly after the competition ended on Saturday but my ride decided to leave at 3:00 when the competition was still running. I was able to take some stills on the ground but alas I did not get to stick around and she her fly. I also liked what I saw and look forward to in flight reports from those who have them or get one in the next few days. I do plan to get one. Here are some still pictures that I took today. Michael Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:38 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,456 Posts
Hi Michael,

Thanks for sharing the information and terrific photos. Looks very nice.
Cheers.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:04 AM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,351 Posts
What type of hinges are supplied with this bird? If c/a, please tell me there not glued by the factory!
mike3976 is online now Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:27 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3976 View Post
What type of hinges are supplied with this bird? If c/a, please tell me there not glued by the factory!
From the manual - take a look...

Looks like the flaps and ailerons are factory installed however - no mention of hinges in the manual.
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member