8:30 est.
Jaguar22 is online now Find More Posts by Jaguar22
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:09 PM
Team Horizon Hobby - Surface
Renton
Joined Sep 2006
93 Posts
I finalized my order with Horizon just an hour ago! This is going to be great fun!
Darin Jordan is offline Find More Posts by Darin Jordan
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:12 PM
Never Stop Learning
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2005
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Ramsey View Post
Lota glue joints in that wing. I'd be interested in your overall impression of the glue joint integrity as might be viewed through the transparent covering while giving the wing halves a light twist.

Thanks
I will give it a good look over in the covering, glue joints etc. This is a nice glider but it is not a high end CZ built model. I own high end airframes as well, you do get what you pay for even if it is bloody hard on the wallet.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jaguar22; Oct 02, 2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:25 PM
Music Man
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
I picked up my Mystique from Scale Reproductions in Louisville this Saturday. Gordy Soar from LASS called me with the news that the "perfect plane for me" was in the store. I am a recovering Radian owner having crashed 5 of them this year, but have had a really successful growth spurt as a flyer this summer. I also have a mini Ava-E that is just terrific REF 100". The Mystique is beautiful and the answer to a million Radian owners prayers "Please God? Is there a more sophisticated plane over 100" that is under $400, easy to build, and full house?" I have just started the build. Great instructions, great plane, a real head turner. It is the perfect plane for winter flying being a little heavier than my Ava. I keep you posted.
Music Man is offline Find More Posts by Music Man
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:58 PM
New Jersey, USA
Joined May 2003
2,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar22 View Post
I will give it a good look over in the covering, glue joints etc. This is a nice glider but it is not a high end CZ built model. I own high end airframes and well you do get what you pay for even if it is bloody hard on the wallet.
I will appreciate your observations. Many thanks.
David A Ramsey is online now Find More Posts by David A Ramsey
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:13 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,451 Posts
Boy! didn't take long for the word to get around, did it?
Just scanning the index & 'Mystique' jumped out at me....I was already in love.
I got some of the advance publicity & proto-videos some time back & have been lusting ever since. In fact had already announced my strategy elsewhere of changing my buying schedule to work in the 'Mys' depending on release date and wanting to see some strongly positive reviews before taking the leap.

Posting now basically to establish subs to the thread so I can follow progress (with notifications), but to also mention from something in the pre-release blurbs I was left with the distinct impression she'd be available in PnP (at least) form. Was that just my imagination dreaming on its own, or did anyone else catch that too?
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:16 PM
Mis-guided heli guy
Austin, TX USA
Joined Mar 2007
1,470 Posts
Initial out of the box quality looks extremely good! I'm shocked to see PU glue used on the wing spar. The covering is super tight and wrinkle free. Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349226917.727800.jpg
Views: 248
Size: 50.1 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349226931.042879.jpg
Views: 251
Size: 65.9 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349226950.123911.jpg
Views: 297
Size: 29.7 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349226960.659010.jpg
Views: 326
Size: 30.9 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349226974.109550.jpg
Views: 298
Size: 52.3 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349226991.798255.jpg
Views: 403
Size: 64.5 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349227004.260332.jpg
Views: 299
Size: 33.1 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349227014.786238.jpg
Views: 315
Size: 29.2 KB
Description:
Jeff_edge540 is offline Find More Posts by Jeff_edge540
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:38 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Thanks for posting the photos. Looks great. It looks like we will be waiting a little while in Australia.

The negative is that I am impatient and have been eagerly awaiting this new release.
The positive is that we get to learn from the initial build and flying experiences.

Keep the good information coming.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:34 AM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
347 Posts
< ditto to what Grazer said...
timography is offline Find More Posts by timography
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:03 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,476 Posts
Please, someone up this beauty up as a pure glider on a winch or hi-start. Please!
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:06 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,133 Posts
Pry open your wallet and go for it, Ed.
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:34 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,476 Posts
TK,

Not looking for a new glider. I have too many now. ( No dear I didn't mean I needed to sell some of them. ) My main gliders are much higher end than this one. And I have gliders in the racks, both e and pure, that I have yet to fly, so can't really justify buying one, even at this price.

But I am always looking for something I can recommend to others. The price point looks very attractive. I am sure it will do well as an e-glider. My interest is how well it will do as a pure glider. How well it launches on a winch is a real interest. I am not expecting it to launch like a Supra, but how delicate will you really need to be?

The manual appears to be extremely well done. I like the way they accounted for this being built as a pure glider or an electric glider. If you want you could easily make it convertible so it could be flown either way. But I would suspect that the vast majority will go into the sky as electric gliders.
http://www.e-fliterc.com/ProdInfo/Fi...905-Manual.pdf

With a wing loading between 10 and 11 ounces, this will be no floater. It should be very good in windy conditions at that wing loading. I would bet it would be wonderful as a slope glider. Beautiful to the eye and elegant in flight.

Radian pilots be aware that this will need to glide faster than the Radian (WL about 6.5 oz.) or even the Radian Pro (WL around 8 ounces). So be prepared to keep the glide speed up.

But she should move around the sky very well and move from thermal to thermal well. This will be a very different experience from flying a Radian. With the mystique and a Radian or a Pro you will have a nice wide range of gliders to fly depending on conditions and how you want to fly today.

Trailing edge mixing will be important on this glider, much more so than on the Radian Pro. You will definitely want thermal camber and reflex mixing. And flap to elevator mixing will be very valuable to bring it in smoothly for landing. You can certainly fly it on a DX6i or similar radio. Use the Radian Pro profiles provided by Horizon hobby to help you set up your radio. However, but once you get a taste of thermal soaring with this beauty your eyes may start to look toward true sailplane radios. (more toys to buy! )

It looks like a very nice package at an exceptional price. And seeing the photos of the fit and finish raises my expectations even higher.

Now, if they would just get the name of the airfoil right. But I guess we can't have everything.
Last edited by aeajr; Oct 03, 2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:00 AM
Never Stop Learning
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2005
1,082 Posts
I missed were the airfoil was miss spoken, but it is supposed to be
Selig SD3021 not a S3021. A all rounder foil type.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:22 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,476 Posts
This was discussed earlier in the thread and is really more of a Nit, but it would be proper to call the airfoil by its proper name.

The S3012 was developed by Michael S. Selig. Calling it the SD3021 would imply that it was developed by Selig and Donovan, which it was not.

New Airfoils for R/C Sailplanes
Michael S. Selig and Ashok Gopalarathnam
UIUC Applied Aerodynamics Group
Department of Aerospace Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Illinois 61801
http://www.ae.illinois.edu/m-selig/u...aAirfoils.html

An excerpt from the paper

At the 1996 AMA Nats, we performed an airfoil survey [Ref 1] by asking those competing in the Unlimited Thermal Soaring Competition what airfoil, sailplane, and radio they used. Of the approximately 110 flyers, we were able to reach 101 of them for the survey. In the airfoil category, the most popular by far was the SD7037 flown on 40 of the gliders, followed by the S3021 and RG15 each with 8, and then the SD7080 with 6. The remainder of the pack included over 24 different airfoils. In contrast, there were over 60 different sailplanes flown, the most popular were the Peregrine and Thermal Eagle, which numbered 5 each, followed by the Esteem and Super V, 4 of each. More details of the survey can be in the Camberline newsletter (No. 4) found at the UIUC Low Speed Airfoil Tests (LSATs) web site. The popularity of the SD7037 has led to the current airfoils reported here.

Camberline newsletter (No. 4) found at the UIUC Low Speed Airfoil Tests
Contest Survey: 1996 AMA/LSF Nationals
http://www.ae.illinois.edu/m-selig/u...4bulletin.html

Profile - free airfoil plotting software
Features: Fourteen sections are provided, including RG series, S3021, E193 and SD7032 & SD7037. These are in Compufoil (.COR) format. The following attributes can be specified for a profile:

http://www.rc-soar.com/hardsoft/profilerev.htm

Difference between the S3021 and the SD3021
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458260

Now, in my book, when the designer calls is an S3021, then that is the proper name. When the airfoil SW makers list an S3021 but no SD3021, that also suggests that there is no SD3021.

Again, to the average person, this is a nit, but if you designed something and people changed the name, giving credit to someone else, how would you feel about it?

I can't find any authoritative reference to an SD3021 airfoil.
Last edited by aeajr; Oct 03, 2012 at 09:40 AM.