SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:57 AM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
346 Posts
hehe i could never understand those kind of people... i just put it down to jealousy lol...

on a more related topic, i think i've settled on the MVVS outrunner that will suit the Mystique - the MVVS 4.6/840 looks like it will be a corker. the specs are very closely matched to the E-Flite Power 25, but with a bit more torque (it'll swing a 14x10 on 3s), but I'm hoping the MVVS will be a really nice fit in the nose. The MVVS outrunner I have in my TopModel Avia runs like a dream - so smooth and heaps of grunt...
timography is offline Find More Posts by timography
Last edited by timography; Sep 18, 2012 at 05:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:51 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
That's true. I took my Radian Pro out late today in this wind we have been having. Just going to fly the hell out of that for a while longer.
I was stood out in the middle of a paddock. Nobody around. A road runs along one edge of the paddock but I was a good 400m inside the boundary.
Some bloke drives past and yells "get a life you "

Ah the irony!
What on earth could he have been thinking? Was it a teenager or an adult?
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:22 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Sadly.....an Adult. Looked like a tradesman. Coward.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:35 PM
-Flight enthusiast_
Lake Louise, AB, Canada
Joined Feb 2000
3,563 Posts
Uh, an Aussie tradesman

Glen the electrician
gpeden is offline Find More Posts by gpeden
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:44 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
For those of you with planes on order I hope you have them ASAP. I will be at Visalia's Fall Soaring Festival on Saturday October 6th and hope to get video of the Mystique in the air there in the electric ALES competition. I hope to have video of the mass launches and will focus in specifically on the Mystique in the air. I also hope to do a couple of special videos of sailplane winch launches in the other competitions and landings. My article will be media (video and pictures) heavy and I hope to have it in to our editor later that week.
I hope to do several sailplane reviews this fall and winter and most will be planes my friends have just purchased. Hopefully one of us reviewers here will be doing a review on the Mystique ASAP. Time will tell. Mike Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:34 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,429 Posts
called into OMP yesterday to catch up with Mike and staff and you would never guess what i found in a box under a desk in the office Err you mind if i open this and get some shots! was my question here's the answer for you guys below

oh and it looks really totally awesome wish i could afford one, maybe later next year as this is going to be hard to pass on especially after picking it up and going over it

Mike is waiting for the prop and spinner to arrive then he is going to put it together and fly it, will be interesting to hear his views seeing as he was a national champion in his time

enjoy guys Mike said the due date is still on target at the moment so fingers crossed it won't be long and your have them

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:15 PM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
346 Posts
Cheers for that Chuck - looks awesome, and good build quality too hopefully.

Getting all the internals sorted at the moment - just ordered a MVVS outrunner from Peter Pine and the rest of the electronics are on their way from the US... put my Mystique on pre-order three weeks ago...

Bring on 10th November!
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:29 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Yep good work Chuck. You have come through with the goods yet again!

Looks very sweet. Can't wait to get it.

Had an awesome thermal session the other day with my Radian Pro. It made me want this Mystique even more!

Oh and if you haven't listened to the Jim T. Graham RCGroups podcast (number 6 I think), it is all about Sailplanes. It's a great listen.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:43 AM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
346 Posts
Hey Grazer I hope you managed to get out this arvo and do some soaring. What a glorious afternoon!! Was out with the Avia and was struggling to keep it under 1200ft in one patch of lift that lasted for about 45 minutes - the entire flight lasted 1hr 20 mins with just one initial motor run up to 750ft. Wow. Then the wind picked up a little and it was time for the Cularis. Another wow. If only we had our Mystiques, then it would have been wows all round lol
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:34 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Hey mate. Had some Laser eye surgery on Thursday, so still recovering. I did have a brief fly today, but with one of my sports models. Mainly to check how good my vision is now. It's brilliant!
The sun and breeze forced me back home however. Have to look after the good work of the surgeon. Another couple of weeks and I will be soaring again.

Sounds like you had a great session today. Brilliant. Yep, there is going to be some fun to be had with our new Mystiques.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:37 AM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
346 Posts
oh wow ok - fair enough... i dont have the intestinal fortitude to get laser eye surgery so im sticking with my glasses for now lol...

I ended up ordering all the internals for the Mystique from A-Main hobbies also. I stuck with the recommended parts list too with the exception I substituted 2x Hitec HS-5085MG digital servos - The A4020's had a few bad reviews... and as you know I've got the MVVS 4.6/840 on the way from Peter Pine. All I need now is to get the Telemetry module and altimeter and I'm set.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:02 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Quote:
oh wow ok - fair enough... i dont have the intestinal fortitude to get laser eye surgery so im sticking with my glasses for now lol...
Haha! It's actually not too bad. If you can stomach the smell of your own cornea being cut / burnt then the recovery is simple after the first 24hrs.

You have got me worried about the 4020's now, but its not too late to make a change. What type of issues?

I use Spektrum radio gear, so will probably use an AR8000 with TM1000. I have an altimeter sensor somewhere. Also have the STI dongle for iPhone / iPad to record telemetry. It is handy as you can set it to announce various values at your desired time intervals.
I have used this on a night flyer so you don't have to take eyes off your model to look at Tx screen.
Normally I just use the speaker on iPhone, but you could just plug in some headphones where there is more ambient noise.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Grazer; Sep 23, 2012 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Dual screening - watching F1 while posting
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:34 AM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
346 Posts
[You have got me worried about the 4020's now, but its not too late to make a change. What type of issues?]

There was a review on A-Main Hobby website that said...
Not recommended. Slow and always hesitating. This is not a 0.11s servo, in no way does it compare to my Futaba S9071SB(same speed spec). When slowly moving the stick on my T8FG, the servo arm trembles here and there. Internal check shows poor solder joints, looks very similar to my Emax digital servos which do the same trembling thing. None of my other servos do this. Control boards are exactly identical to the Emax. The PP package box does look&feel good though, which will make a nice screw box. This is a rebranded & repacked "cheapy" Emax. I replaced the control board with a PCB from my stripped Corona DS939mg and it works well now, though still slow.
[I use Spektrum radio gear, so will probably use an AR8000 with TM1000. I have an altimeter sensor somewhere.]

I went with the Spektrum SPMAR7010 receiver - I have these in most of my planes and it works really well. I too will be teaming it with a TM1000 & altimeter, which I have in all of my planes lol

[Also have the STI dongle for iPhone / iPad to record telemetry. It is handy as you can set it to announce various values at your desired time intervals.
I have used this on a night flyer so you don't have to take eyes off your model to look at Tx screen.
Normally I just use the speaker on iPhone, but you could just plug in some headphones where there is more ambient noise.]

Yeah I have seen these in use but have not tried this myself. One of our regular flyers at KAMS used to waltz on out to the flight line with his iPad on a bodged up mic stand and his headphones on and then proceeded to ignore everyone else who was flying at the time and do his own thing whilst listening to his telemetry - to the peril of those also trying to fly around him... other than that - I do appreciete the technology lol. As I said, all my aircraft have telemetry installed in them; but I am used to taking numerous quick glances at the screen on my DX7s rather than doing the STI/iPad/headphones thing...

wow thats a long winded reply...
Last edited by timography; Sep 23, 2012 at 08:38 AM. Reason: 'i' before 'e' except after 'c'
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:42 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Thanks for all the information. Very useful.

With the headphones plugged into iPhone, I find just one ear is enough, so you can hear what else is going on around you.
All good technology that is quite useful.
We will have to go fly together when we have these built. I have an ideal spot away from urban population, not far from metro.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:43 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Oh.....I popped into MAS on Saturday to buy some foam safe CA. The lads told me ETA is still on track.

Also, to give you an idea of the location:

Skywalker 1900mm attacked by Eagle on FPV flight (0 min 30 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Grazer; Sep 23, 2012 at 08:48 AM.