HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:41 PM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
I'm setting mine up with ALL of the suggested completion components. I have all the parts now ready.
if I can ask Grazer, how much did the recommended wing servo's set you back?
timography is offline Find More Posts by timography
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:54 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
No worries:

4 x  SPMSA7030 Spektrum A7030 HV Thin Wing Servo (High Voltage) $167.96
2 x  SPMSA4020 Spektrum A4020 Micro Digital Aircraft Metal Gear Servo $63.98
1 x  EFLM4025A E-flite Power 25 Brushless Outrunner Motor (870kV) $69.99
1 x  EFLA1060 E-flite 60A Pro Switch-Mode BEC Brushless ESC $84.99

I also got $25 off the total order with a coupon. Shipping (expedited) cost an additional $35.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:19 AM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
357 Posts
Awesome - thanks mate. That certainly seems a lot cheaper than ACE R/C - The Power 25 alone is $90 there, so I can only assume that everything else will proportionally as expensive. I'll have to call MAS Hobbies and see if they'll do a lay-by lol
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:33 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,549 Posts
Quote:
No worries:

4 x  SPMSA7030 Spektrum A7030 HV Thin Wing Servo (High Voltage) $167.96
2 x  SPMSA4020 Spektrum A4020 Micro Digital Aircraft Metal Gear Servo $63.98
1 x  EFLM4025A E-flite Power 25 Brushless Outrunner Motor (870kV) $69.99
1 x  EFLA1060 E-flite 60A Pro Switch-Mode BEC Brushless ESC $84.99

I also got $25 off the total order with a coupon. Shipping (expedited) cost an additional $35.
I would be surprised if thin wing servos were needed for this airfoil. And the ESC has a 2.5 amp switching BEC, so you won't be using high voltage.

I would expect something like Hitec HS-85s ($20) would probably fit for all spots, but we won't know till the plane hits the shelves. Digital servos are great, and I use them for my contest winch planes, but a good ball bearing analog servo should be more than adequate for this glider, and half the price.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:39 AM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
357 Posts
@aeajr as far as the wing servo's are concerned - we're just going by what's in the manual for the Mystique. Having said that I've heard a few people mumbling that the Corona(?) thin wing servo's from HK should also fit pretty well, and they're only 7 bucks each...
Last edited by timography; Sep 17, 2012 at 04:46 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:51 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,549 Posts
I understand that you are just following specs. Not suggesting any error on your part. And for contest work I would recommend digital servos for their strong centering, assuming the Spektrums are like other digital servos I have seen and used. I have used JR, Hitec and Airtronics digitals in my contest planes. Have not used Spektrum's digitals in those planes so I have no experience with them.

I was just looking at alternatives that might work and be much lower in cost. A good ball bearing analog micro servo can be more than adequate and will typically fit in glider wings. However If thin wing servos are needed then that is the way to go. Since most pilots won't be running high voltage the Spektrum A7010 Wing Servo by Spektrum (SPMSA7010) should work well too. It is probably the same servo with a different motor.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...o-SPMSA7010#t2

Note that thin wing servos can be tricky as the gear trains have to be very small to fit into that thin package. I would check with other users to see how well those Corona servos hold up in glider wings, expecially on the flaps. Gear train breakage can be high if the gears are not very strong. You might want to consider buying a spare gear set, just in case.

It is common to put metal gear servos on the flaps which can take a huge load if you let them hit the ground when you land.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Sep 17, 2012 at 05:03 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:02 AM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
357 Posts
yeah fair enough aeajr, the HS-85's are only 2mm thicker than the A7030's; but the 85's are only analog whereas the 7030's are digital, but both are metal geared. Totally agree with metal gears on the flap servos, all my e-gliders are fitted out with them. Had some bad experiences with putting Hitec "Karbonite" geared servos on the flaps; all for the sake of saving a few bucks, the gear train seems a lot more brittle than nylon gears. they may be able to withstand higher continual loads than nylon gear, but they dont stand up well to high impact loads (i.e. flap hitting the ground on landing). This becomes a real pain in the when the servo's are CA'd into the wing. Ask me how I know lol...
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:25 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Awesome - thanks mate. That certainly seems a lot cheaper than ACE R/C - The Power 25 alone is $90 there, so I can only assume that everything else will proportionally as expensive. I'll have to call MAS Hobbies and see if they'll do a lay-by lol
I got the servos, ESC and motor from A Main hobbies. Nobody in Australia seemed to have the servos, so I got all the gear at the same time.

Quote:
I understand that you are just following specs. Not suggesting any error on your part. And for contest work I would recommend digital servos for their strong centering, assuming the Spektrums are like other digital servos I have seen and used. I have used JR, Hitec and Airtronics digitals in my contest planes. Have not used Spektrum's digitals in those planes so I have no experience with them.
Hey aeajr,

Yeh I was following spec too. Also, this will be my biggest investment I have made in a glider, so I am the kinda guy that will go the whole way and just build it as best as I can to the manufacturer spec. Always open minded to the alternatives, but I intend to be a bit of a pioneer with this plane.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:30 AM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
357 Posts
[QUOTE=Grazer;22753950]I got the servos, ESC and motor from A Main hobbies. Nobody in Australia seemed to have the servos, so I got all the gear at the same time.

oh yeah- sorry mate - i do remember you saying that now... i'll put it down to my old age lol
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:39 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
No worries mate. I always try to buy within our border first but availability is my biggest enemy normally.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:44 AM
Mis-guided heli guy
Austin, TX USA
Joined Mar 2007
1,470 Posts
The Spektrum thin wing servos 7020 are faster, stronger (if running 5-6 volts) and less expensive than the 7030 HV version. Not sure why Horizon is recommending the 7030....

Also, the digital version of an HS85 is the HS5085.

Hey Grazer - What about the folding prop adapter? Are you gonna wait for Horizon's or are you getting one from another place?
Jeff_edge540 is offline Find More Posts by Jeff_edge540
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:19 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Hey Grazer - What about the folding prop adapter? Are you gonna wait for Horizon's or are you getting one from another place?
I have the Eflite one on pre-order with the kit.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:51 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Mmmmmm......just read an ETA for this kit in Australia as 10th November-12.

This has been published by the Australian importer. Feeling a litte dissappointed at the delay from earlier indicated shipping dates.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:30 AM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
357 Posts
Quote:
Mmmmmm......just read an ETA for this kit in Australia as 10th November-12.

This has been published by the Australian importer. Feeling a litte dissappointed at the delay from earlier indicated shipping dates.
yeah - bummer huh. on a positive though, it does give me a little more time to save up for all the extra bits i need to complete it
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:16 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Quote:
yeah - bummer huh. on a positive though, it does give me a little more time to save up for all the extra bits i need to complete it
That's true. I took my Radian Pro out late today in this wind we have been having. Just going to fly the hell out of that for a while longer.
I was stood out in the middle of a paddock. Nobody around. A road runs along one edge of the paddock but I was a good 400m inside the boundary.
Some bloke drives past and yells "get a life you "

Ah the irony!
RCG Plus Member