Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:02 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly View Post
A few points on this discussion. I am the one that suggested the SD3021 profile to Pete. Basically an improved Eppler 205, this profile offers several advantages for this type of model. First it offers a wide perfomance range, in short it has reasonable float, and the ability to cover ground. It also has a flat bottom so that it can be accurately assembled, and is easy to cover. These are important things when you are considering a quality mass produced ARF style product.
For those pondering this model, it has all the attributes required to be a really great flying, popular design. My suggestion is to wait and see what the folks at Horizon are bringing to market in this category. They deal in large volumes, and are not going to take a chance on a bad product. I haven't flown one yet, but it looks to be the perfect follow on for those moving up from a Radian, or laterally from a conventional winch launched sailplane. LJ
Thank you. That is what I'm personal looking for with this particular model, a step up from the Radian Pro. I have been flying gas planes and heli's for close to 30 years (i still own 2 Kraft radio's), but have never messed with gliders (didn't think of them as a challenge). I got a radian and found out WOW, these things are fun! I just want to further my knowledge in this category of flying without having to spend mega bucks. I have been watching people go back and forth saying this and saying that when all I hope this thing turns out to be is a better flyer than what I already have with the support of a trusted company and learning more about gliders. Simple.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Last edited by av8ersteve; Sep 12, 2012 at 09:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:03 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Hey Grazer, where'd you end up ordering yours from again?
Hey mate, MAS Hobbies.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:33 AM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
Hey mate, MAS Hobbies.
Ok cool. ACE R/C told me today that I can expect mine in about 4 weeks... Apparently... so at least both stores are singing the same tune. That must bode well for us - surely?

timography is online now Find More Posts by timography
Last edited by timography; Sep 13, 2012 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Apparently I couldn't spell apparently
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:51 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Ok cool. ACE R/C told me today that I can expect mine in about 4 weeks... Apparently... so at least both stores are singing the same tune. That must bode well for us - surely?
Yeh I guess. I have no reason not to believe the ETA. I have all my hardware sorted and ready for the build. Just looking forward to the new glider a great deal.
Took my Radian Pro out to a paddock last week in some of the strong wind we have been having. It was a blast! Visiting Albany over this coming weekend , so the Radian might have to join me there too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:00 AM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
317 Posts
awesome. I've been wanting to go sloping at Albany for ages, but havent gotten around to it yet. one day. I too was out with my radian pro the other day in these crap winds that we have been getting. I may have gotten bored and exceeded terminal velocity in a dive with the motor running. a prop blade broke off, which then sheared the nose off. hehehe oops. good thing it's only a foamy and zap is it's friend lol.

was out at sutherlands park @ gosnells with the TopModel Avia and the Multiplex Cularis this arvo about 2pm. the wind dropped, heaps of lift everywhere. was fantastic.

sadly my Mystique won't be in the air for a while. got a couple of others to finish first. but isn't that always the case? lol
timography is online now Find More Posts by timography
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:39 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly View Post
A few points on this discussion. I am the one that suggested the SD3021 profile to Pete. Basically an improved Eppler 205, this profile offers several advantages for this type of model. First it offers a wide perfomance range, in short it has reasonable float, and the ability to cover ground. It also has a flat bottom so that it can be accurately assembled, and is easy to cover. These are important things when you are considering a quality mass produced ARF style product.
For those pondering this model, it has all the attributes required to be a really great flying, popular design. My suggestion is to wait and see what the folks at Horizon are bringing to market in this category. They deal in large volumes, and are not going to take a chance on a bad product. I haven't flown one yet, but it looks to be the perfect follow on for those moving up from a Radian, or laterally from a conventional winch launched sailplane. LJ
Great info Larry. Knowing you had some input raises my expectations for this model.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:52 PM
United States, OH, Loveland
Joined Feb 2007
345 Posts
Has anyone tried painters tape or something similar instead of electrical tape?
sinowace is offline Find More Posts by sinowace
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:02 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinowace View Post
Has anyone tried painters tape or something similar instead of electrical tape?
That works! I find it somewhat ugly, but it works.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,769 Posts
Guys the tape securing the tips is really a no brainer. I use this method for AVA Pros. Secure a layer of clear vinyl style tape around the end of the center panel and the root of the tip panel. Make sure the tape is the same width as the 3M electrical style tape you will use to secure the tip. Starting on the bottom at the T.E. wrap the clear tape around the wing, across the L.E. and back to the T.E.
Trim the tape about a 1/2" long and secure it around the T.E. and overlap the tape on the bottom. This clear tape will save the covering from being lifted when you later remove the electrical type as you disassemble your model. Always remove the tape by pulling 180 degrees to the surface. These keeps you from appying a force that wants to lift the covering. No issues and the tip is secure and easily removable. LJ
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:31 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
662 Posts
Plane looks great, I am still very disappointed in that airfoil, I have it on a 15 year old glider and it is ok, you could do so much better nowadays and still have easy assembly. Well will see when it comes out how good it is, it has ALES potential.
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:58 PM
Murfreesboro
Joined Jun 2009
294 Posts
Much better how? The section chosen appears to be ideal for the application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruck View Post
Plane looks great, I am still very disappointed in that airfoil, I have it on a 15 year old glider and it is ok, you could do so much better nowadays and still have easy assembly. Well will see when it comes out how good it is, it has ALES potential.
fishfingers is offline Find More Posts by fishfingers
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:24 AM
FT.MYERS FL.
Joined Mar 2009
74 Posts
Wingtips

Hey guys/ does the wingtip come off the center panels?
Btw/ ive flown cumics for years and the 3021 airfoil
is a cleaned-up version of the old e205. Quite an airfoil
back in its day!!
CUMICBOY is offline Find More Posts by CUMICBOY
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:30 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
United States, IL, Monticello
Joined Mar 2007
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUMICBOY View Post
Hey guys/ does the wingtip come off the center panels?
Btw/ ive flown cumics for years and the 3021 airfoil
is a cleaned-up version of the old e205. Quite an airfoil
back in its day!!
No tip panels. The wing is 2-piece with a carbon joiner.
JD
hhrnd40 is offline Find More Posts by hhrnd40
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:31 PM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
So, what servos are you guys going to use? Horizons recommends the a7030's but I see no need in those servos. Why pay extra for HV servos when you don't need then. I looks like the a7020's have the same specs minus the HV part. Even the a7010's have similar torque just analog instead of digital
txg8gxp is offline Find More Posts by txg8gxp
Old Sep 16, 2012, 05:48 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
I'm setting mine up with ALL of the suggested completion components. I have all the parts now ready.
RCG Plus Member