HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:38 AM
United States, MI, Middleville
Joined Mar 2012
86 Posts
Discussion
speed control bec or external bec

I am using a 60A speed control rated for 3 to 6 s lipos. i am running 2 9gram servos for ail, 2 9g servos for flaps, and 2 9g servos for the rudder and elevator. will my speed control support all this on a 3s setup made in series to be 6s; I am not sure if i should use a separate reciever battery, could someone please help?
pwg212 is offline Find More Posts by pwg212
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2012, 04:19 AM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,081 Posts
What are the specs for your speed control's BEC?
whitecrest is offline Find More Posts by whitecrest
Old Aug 21, 2012, 05:55 PM
United States, MI, Middleville
Joined Mar 2012
86 Posts
on 5s lipo it will run 2 standard micro servos in linear mode, switch mode it will do up to 4 micro servos on 6s. 80A burst current,
pwg212 is offline Find More Posts by pwg212
Old Aug 21, 2012, 05:58 PM
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Jul 2012
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwg212 View Post
I am using a 60A speed control rated for 3 to 6 s lipos. i am running 2 9gram servos for ail, 2 9g servos for flaps, and 2 9g servos for the rudder and elevator. will my speed control support all this on a 3s setup made in series to be 6s; I am not sure if i should use a separate reciever battery, could someone please help?
I am going to say that it will probably not do it. That is a lot of voltage that will be bled off as heat. Lean on the side of caution and install a UBEC. Most esc's will work on up to 3s with about 4 servos. It probably has a 2.5-3A BEC built in. Question is... Is it linear or switching? If it is linear, I would definitely switch it out, if it is a switching type, I would still prolly do it. I have a similar set up and my Rx voltage was getting dangerously low at times. CC BEC and problem solved
erikc641 is offline Find More Posts by erikc641
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:00 AM
USA, NH, Madbury
Joined Dec 2007
182 Posts
Quote:
on 5s lipo it will run 2 standard micro servos in linear mode, switch mode it will do up to 4 micro servos on 6s. 80A burst current,
Sounds like you answered your question. Even if the specs say it will work, I would not risk 6 servos on any ESC BEC, switch mode or not. I believe the servo capacity goes down as the battery voltage goes up, so a 6S setup is the riskiest of all. Stepping down the voltage causes heat in the BEC, which can then cause the ESC to reach thermal safety shut down. Digital servos and the ubiquitous "tower pro" 9gm servos are notorious power hogs. Move all 6 at once and you've got voltage drop trouble. Granted the flaps may not move much, but any binding will create amp draw from the "stationary" servo. Even riskier with 2.4 Ghz receivers, some of which are prone to low voltage brown outs and momentary loss control during re-arming. Why risk it? Get a separate BEC.
R Zielinski is offline Find More Posts by R Zielinski
Last edited by R Zielinski; Aug 22, 2012 at 01:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old Aug 22, 2012, 03:16 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,481 Posts
Quote:
switch mode it will do up to 4 micro servos on 6s.
And you have 6 servos on a 6S battery. 6 is more than 4 so there's your answer.

Whether you use a separate RX battery or a standalone BEC is up to you but that ESC definitely won't hack it.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:48 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,971 Posts
"UBEC" was a product name for an add-on switch mode BEC no longer made. You just want an add-on switch mode BEC (SBEC) rated for your application. Go to Dimension Engineering's website to read FAQ's and installation guides and capacities of their SBEC's. Good folks, will answer e-mail questions. DE has lots of other gadgets of interest to RC'ers and experimenters.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:16 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,445 Posts
Quote:
What is the speed control? Some already have switch mode BECs. Also need to know the current, whether you plan to deploy your flaps at full speed as a type of airbrake (not good in my opinion) or just use them to improve lift at slow speed (better approach).
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f