HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:48 AM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,731 Posts
hobby-lobby.com, not hobbylobby.com. More than just "a few models".
Bigster is online now Find More Posts by Bigster
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:55 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigster View Post
hobby-lobby.com, not hobbylobby.com. More than just "a few models".
That was, obviously, confusing since I actually have a "hobby lobby" store a few miles away.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:01 AM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
As for the original issue, I think the vendor is trying to subtly tell you that the item is a 2 cell battery and they don't want to fess up to the error. You should accept the refund only if they refund the shipping as well since this would be clearly an error on their part.
The battery is a 3 cell battery with obviously a short somewhere under the packaging, or a mis-wiring of the plug wires.

It isn't puffed, looks brand new (is brand new), so I doubt there was ever a short across one cell's internal terminals at the factory which would have caused major damage, mis-wiring is my guess. Anyway....

I would accept a refund at this point or a back order, which would be okay with me.

But I can't legally ship it back to Hobbypartz because it is illegal to ship a defective lipo, period. There's a nice big poster in my post office saying fines would be more than $250 but less than $100,000 (plus cleanup costs in case of accident) for ignoring this.

Not cost effective for a $9 battery, even with refund of the postage.
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:03 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
New..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
So, basically stay away from any vendor that advertises on this site?

You seem to jump to a few conclusions in this thread so far. I don't believe I ever said to say away from any vendor. Take a moment and go back and look at what I wrote. I suggested ALL know vendors are good to deal with.

None of the three vendors you list even acknowledge quads as an option, basically the reason I'm here; Tower I would never have even given a second through if not for you since the website gives me flashbacks to the 90's, Horizon looks ok if you want to pay full price for brand names, and hobby lobby is a craft store with a few models tucked in the back ( might be good for some basic supplies ).

Every one of those sites offers components that would work perfectly with quads. That they don't offer a frame might be a valid point, but all offer electronics that would work on them. As someone said earlier, you're looking at the wrong hobby lobby...again, take some time to do your research, otherwise it looks like you are just trying to argue.

So, back to the original point, the disconnect between vendors and expectations is huge and can be quite daunting for new or even seasoned enthusiasts. I can deal with low QC, sky high shipping, or long wait times, but the vendors need to be honest about it as well as pricing. Outright false advertising of a 2 cell battery as something else is unacceptable in either case.

So back to this point. I might have missed the OP noting that the battery was anything more than a 2 cell. Can you point out where he said it was a 3 or 4 cell, I didn't see it. It's o/k to presume it was at least a 3, but his charger was telling him it's a 2. You've taken a further leap to say the vendor was admitting it did something wrong, and tried to pass off something bad to someone? Where again did they do that? If I read the notes, the vendor agreed to refund his purchase because he wasn't happy or satisfied with it.

For someone who just joined you seem intent on mixing it up right out of the gate eh?

Welcome to RCG, again.

( I see OP noted now it's a 3 cell). Sounds like a cell is completely DOA
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Last edited by porcia83; Sep 06, 2012 at 10:07 AM. Reason: 3 cell
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:06 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdiy View Post
The battery is a 3 cell battery with obviously a short somewhere under the packaging, or a mis-wiring of the plug wires.

It isn't puffed, looks brand new (is brand new), so I doubt there was ever a short across one cell's internal terminals at the factory which would have caused major damage, mis-wiring is my guess. Anyway....

I would accept a refund at this point or a back order, which would be okay with me.

But I can't legally ship it back to Hobbypartz because it is illegal to ship a defective lipo, period. There's a nice big poster in my post office saying fines would be more than $250 but less than $100,000 (plus cleanup costs in case of accident) for ignoring this.

Not cost effective for a $9 battery, even with the postage!
I don't have all the rules in front of me regarding shipping, does it pertain to damaged cells, ie those that have been in crashes etc? It seems that if it's in the same condition it was mailed it would be o/k, but again I'm not sure. Would cutting off the connectors and capping each connector make a diff?
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:10 AM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
I don't have all the rules in front of me regarding shipping, does it pertain to damaged cells, ie those that have been in crashes etc? It seems that if it's in the same condition it was mailed it would be o/k, but again I'm not sure. Would cutting off the connectors and capping each connector make a diff?
I've looked it up. It is illegal to ship a defective lipo of any sort on any commercial carrier, period. No exceptions for whether it was in a model airplane crash, as you can imagine. Or even a need for obvious physical damage. Defective is the dividing line. Cutting off leads would be physical damage.

They don't want to have to guess on a case by case basis. And that makes sense, actually.

Besides if I did all that, How would Hobbypartz determine it was defective in the first place, and why the need for return? See what I'm saying? Catch 22.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:21 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdiy View Post
I've looked it up. It is illegal to ship a defective lipo of any sort on any commercial carrier, period. No exceptions for whether it was in a model airplane crash, as you can imagine. Or even a need for obvious physical damage. Defective is the dividing line. Cutting off leads would be physical damage.

They don't want to have to guess on a case by case basis. And that makes sense, actually.

Besides if I did all that, How would Hobbypartz determine it was defective in the first place, and why the need for return? See what I'm saying? Catch 22.
Yup, I see. I think HP could still put a connector on it and tell if a cell is bad, but if you can't send it back, obviously that's an issue. When one of my 3cell and up batteries go bad, it's usually one cell that has ....the bed, and I get a "voltage" reading on the charger, and then my little blinkie tester goes dead at the bad cell. It happens even on the top of the line batteries.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:31 AM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
I guess the last resort is to just inform them of this problem and see what they say. Give them a chance anyway. Then, if no refund, well it was 9 bucks and shipping.

Probably wouldn't order from them again in that case, but no guarantees from anyone else either. I'm sure lipos are occasionally bad.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:37 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Hope they take care of you
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:17 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Brilliant idea. Let's run Hobbypartz, HK, Nitroplanes,LowpriceRC, sdshobby,grayson hobby, and banana hobby out of business too. Let's only have one or two options to buy stuff from, I'm sure quality and prices will stay low.
Quote:
For someone who just joined you seem intent on mixing it up right out of the gate eh?

Welcome to RCG, again.
Thanks, no intent to "mix it up" just looking to get into the hobby without getting . Been lurking for a while and without a doubt vendors are a huge source of issues.

--

OP If you believe it's illegal to ship the battery in its current state ( and I think by the letter of the law you might be right ) then I think you just need to actually say that in your next contact with them. Either they make it right or they don't, let us know.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:25 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
vendors have little to do with it...it's the people who argue about them, and they way they do it that gets them
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:14 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Actually, I'm going to say that vendors have been in general pretty good to me. A few gripes. But nothing to go into here. This topic was opened somewhat humorously because of the canned and ridiculous responses of HP's customer service desk, which appears to be farmed out. Thought people would get a kick out of it. It did raise some other issues that I hadn't considered before, like returning defective lipos, so should have some educational value as well.

I will report back on how it went after I explain the current shipping issue to HP.

If I have time I'll make a little video showing the battery under test so it's clearer what the problem is and what it looks like on a meter. Post a link to that here.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:22 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
my guess is a dead cell. As for the robots, you're right, they are funny sometimes. Clearly looking for data mined words and giving canned responses. I was surprised to see HK actually roll out live help, and it is actually Live, 24 7.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:59 AM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
They have responded, will send a refund for the battery price only, no adjusted shipping. I'm out shipping if I order a replacement, but it's a whole lot better than nothing. They said I didn't need to make a video.

I hope this has been educational for HP, and other vendors: Battery vendors, you can't require return of a defective battery for legitimate, (and legal) safety reasons. If customer rep "Christina" wasn't a bot data mining for the words "refund" or "exchange" then she needs further training. If it was a bot, add the word "replacement" to your program dictionary.

Thanks to all for facilitating the vendor support education process, and thanks to RCG for giving users a voice in this forum. Perhaps things will be smoother for others in future. I for one will continue to patronize HobbyPartz, assuming they're not sick of me at this point!.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:22 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
as long as your credit card works I think they'll put up with you