HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:47 PM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Oct 2008
84 Posts
Discussion
(NEW) ARSON 153mm EDF

I would like to welcome the new ARSON EDF, the ultimate electrical ducted fan unit. The ARSON EDF is a 153mm fan with a modular interchangeable 18 blade impeller. This impeller can be interchanged from the stock 18 blade to a 9 blade impeller or 6 blade fan system. This modular change can be done by removing the blades and adding a patented spacer to meet the needs of your desired model requirements.

As homage to the great R/C model builder Byron Leroy Godbersen, founder of the Byron Original, the ARSON EDF was designed based on the simplistic design of the Byron fan. A decision in 2007 to convert the Byron F-15 into an EDF with the introduction of more reliable and powerful batteries and motor units was implemented and upon it's completion was clear; the Byron F-15 had new life!

During the time spent operating the Byron F-15, there were notable deficiencies in the Byron fan itself. After many successful flights, the model was lost and upon review and inspection of the wreckage, it was determined that the Byron fan stators with the edf conversion failed, losing one engine in midflight which made for a spectacular hole in the ground. Thus, the quest to build what is now the ARSON EDF was initiated. Several factors were taken into account such as the same dimensions were needed as the Byron Fan, the Fan had to produce at least twice the thrust that the Byron/Scorpion combination was producing, it had to have the reliability and stability behind the power, and most of all, had to have character. This fan must be attractive enough to be proud to install in your model.

After years of trial and error a good concept began to develop and the final product has become a first of its kind. A modular EDF unit, the ARSON EDF, comes with a standard 18 blade impeller designed to transform itself to a 9 or 6 blade impeller to suit your EDF/Model requirements. By designing 2 different impeller spacers, the modeler can separate the fan and install spacers for their desired impeller design.

Depending on the response I receive on this post, this will gauge the production of the unit in the marketplace. If you have an interest in purchasing the ARSON EDF, send an email to info@arsonedf.com or you can send me a PM. Iíve included a few photos of the ARSON EDF which is scheduled to launch the production phase on or about December 1, 2012. Just in time for Christmas!! We will be posting videos and performance data of the prototype by October 1, 2012.

If you are also interested in following our progress, please visit our website and blog located at www.arsonedf.com starting September 1, 2012. In the meantime, send us an email to info@arsonedf.com or PM to receive updates and information.

Specs:

Inside Dia: 153 mm
Outside Dia:156mm
Stators: 9
Impeller: 18 blades
Shroud Length: 110mm
Length with motor mount: 147mm
Motor mount inner dia: 56.38 mm

Motors that will be tested with the ARSON EDF
Nue 1527, 1900 series, and 2200 series
Hacker A-50L Turnado
HET Typhoon 800 series
(If there's any suggestion on other high power motors that you believe can make the performance of the ARSON EDF better please send me a PM)

Power System 12-14s or larger depending on the motor (Nue 2200) and ESC.

RCU (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11199948 )

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Joe
socshooter is offline Find More Posts by socshooter
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:00 PM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,457 Posts
Coooooool

How about some performance spec/data.
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
Last edited by super kupfer; Aug 20, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:18 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,934 Posts
Looks very interesting! I have been flying Byron as EDF for years. Any idea as to est. cost.
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:22 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,623 Posts
wow! id love to see some testing charts! looks like a very solid design!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:58 PM
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Feb 2009
402 Posts
What is an 800 series Typhoon????
rfodor is offline Find More Posts by rfodor
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,129 Posts
Wow! Definitely waiting for numbers!
sheppard559 is offline Find More Posts by sheppard559
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:07 PM
Joined Oct 2008
84 Posts
Gents,

The performance specs, videos and pricing will be posted early September. The pricing is very competitive and will be less than the EVF and some other smaller EDF systems. If this information becomes available sooner, I will post immediately on this thread.

In reference to the HET tyhoon 800 here's the link.
http://www.highendrc.com/

Also, we'd like your input on your preference of high performance motors if they are different than the ones that were already posted.

Cheers,
Joe
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:13 PM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,321 Posts
Joe:
Any thoughts on the KV for the HET 800 series motors for the 18 blade rotor? Possibly something like 400 or 535 KV?

Ed
A10pilot is offline Find More Posts by A10pilot
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:13 PM
Spitfire brotherhood #67
United States, OH, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
18 Posts
Performance data and cost is what will peak interest. You got me to subscribe I want to see where this goes.
Stimulator is offline Find More Posts by Stimulator
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:39 PM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,465 Posts
Very nice modular design. Looking forward to hearing more about this product.
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined Oct 2008
84 Posts
ED,

We contacted HET to get performance specs on the Typhoon 800-73 590KV and HET adviced performance specs are not yet available as of last friday.

Cheers,
Joe
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:27 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,934 Posts
Have you talked to Hacker concerning the A50-10L Turnado motor?
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Oct 2008
84 Posts
Bob,

We have not. All the performance on the A-50 Turnado that we have collected are from modellers on RCU/RCG. Are there any performance issues to be concerned about? I know Hacker makes really good motors and they perform very well.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:38 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,678 Posts
If the rotor cost is kept competitive I'm all in, seems like it'll work with regular Byron shroud.

Will you be making adapters for regular Byron shroud?

Old Byron fan tested at 17.2lbs 3700 watts...

~20lbs at 4100 watts, that's a 55usd esc running with head room

EDF is getting VERY VERY interesting

Socshooter, what would make this more interesting is a shroud with no lip ....straight...I can show you pics why..

Regards
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Last edited by erh7771; Aug 20, 2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:01 AM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
If the rotor cost is kept competitive I'm all in, seems like it'll work with regular Byron shroud.

Will you be making adapters for regular Byron shroud?

Old Byron fan tested at 17.2lbs 3700 watts...

~20lbs at 4100 watts, that's a 55usd esc running with head room

EDF is getting VERY VERY interesting

Socshooter, what would make this more interesting is a shroud with no lip ....straight...I can show you pics why..

Regards
Looks like they are trying to shoot for twice that, we shell see if they are successful .

This should be something to keep an eye on.
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer