SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:25 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Mar 2012
168 Posts
Discussion
lipo storage - charge state vs temp vs cycles

Should I store my lipos at full charge? I hear 50% is recommended.

I hear a fully charged lipo is bad the battery especially when exposed to elevated temperatures . This can lead to accelerated self discharge. Dropping or damaging a fully charged lipo is also likely to do more damage should it rupture.

What about storing with just 20% charge? Why is this bad for the lipo?

If I use my charge to put the lipos in storage mode every time - surely that it eating into the number of charge cycles my lipo can support? Which is the better trade off?

I've heard stories of people storing their lipos in the fridge?

scientific backed responses accepted
cirrus_uk is offline Find More Posts by cirrus_uk
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:28 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,006 Posts
Here's the story-
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

I don't see anything wrong with short term 20% charge level storage.....
Cycle life is dependent on discharge rate. Low level discharge rates <1C can give thousands of cycles. Discharging at the max C-rate can give dozens of cycles.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:01 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrus_uk View Post
If I use my charge to put the lipos in storage mode every time - surely that it eating into the number of charge cycles my lipo can support? Which is the better trade off?
I fail to see the logic here. You are only doing a half charge to get to storage, the other half before you fly. Do you think it matters to the battery if you put in 2000mah today and 2000mah tomorrow vs just putting in 4000mah in one sitting? Either way you are putting in the same amount and wearing the battery virtually the same amount.

Just like your body, if you eat a whole box of cookies in one day vs over the course of a week, you are still eating the same number of calories in both cases.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:05 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Mar 2012
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
I fail to see the logic here. .
I was thinking more from the point of having a full lipo - using the storage mode and discharging down to 50%. That's a wasted half cycle vs leaving lipo fully charged.
cirrus_uk is offline Find More Posts by cirrus_uk
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:41 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,264 Posts
Fully charged, especially in warm surroundings degraded the IR (internal resistance) > performance degrades. Some of the high-C packs stored this way have gone to hell in short order. There are numerous reports of this.

This topic gets cycled on a routine basis. Just do a search on [lipo storage] and you'll see you've started down a well traveled topic.
flydiver is online now Find More Posts by flydiver