SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:27 AM
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jan 2008
2,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillOnTheRun44 View Post
Or i could go the wifi like Dimitris76 has suggested but i would not even know where to start. seems very complicated to a newbie like me.
Google "IP camera" and then look for a model with built in Wifi transceiver.
http://www.networkcamerastore.com/
http://www.networkwebcams.com/

find what you want and then eBay, Amazon, pricegrabber.com and nextag.com is your friend when it's time to actually buy.

A birectional amplifier and circular polarization omni wouldn't hurt either.

/Dimitrios
Dimitris76 is offline Find More Posts by Dimitris76
Last edited by Dimitris76; Aug 22, 2012 at 03:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2012, 05:50 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris76 View Post
Google "IP camera" and then look for a model with built in Wifi tranceiver.
http://www.networkcamerastore.com/
http://www.networkwebcams.com/

find what you want and then eBay, Amazon, pricegrabber.com and nextag.comis your friend when it's time to actually buy.

A birectional amplifier and circular polarization omni wouldn't hurt either.

/Dimitrios
Okay cheers for the link mate! ill check it out!
StillOnTheRun44 is offline Find More Posts by StillOnTheRun44
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:55 PM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,507 Posts
Some nice videos here.
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:38 PM
W4UAV
Gainesville, FL
Joined Nov 2005
1,043 Posts
Love the lid, nice work!
RaptorAP is offline Find More Posts by RaptorAP
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:00 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Okay so after alot of thinking and research i have decided to get the 1.2Ghz 3000mwh Video TX/RX. its very cheap compared to most of the other TX/RX and im already familiar in setting this stuff up. i will also be getting a high gain antenna that BlueStreak007 advised me to get.
RX/TX: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220712444...84.m1436.l2649RX
antenna: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280392311...84.m1436.l2649

I have also been looking at something like this. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ter_600mW.html Although i dont know if i will need one for the distances i will going (around 700m) i was told the Turnigy 9x has a range of 1km? or was i told a lie?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:21 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Dec 2011
137 Posts
Turnigy 9x with standard TX/RX modules won't go 1km on ground - that's for sure! Also, there is no failsafe with the standard 9x receiver which is asking for trouble (I find these things out the hard way )
The Turnigy 9x as a radio itself is awesome value when you by a programmer and flash it with ER9X firmware. I'd recommend this radio with a uhf module (although I don't know anything about the EZUHF).
The yagi as a receiver antenna works very well but if you want even better you can build yourself a Helical and cloverleaf setup - That might be something you want to do down the track though.

That 1.2ghz transmitter is pretty powerfull so make sure you put the antenna for it as far away as you can (like right out the back of the vehicle). Then put your vehicle receiver antenna as far away from that as possible!
Bluestreak007 is offline Find More Posts by Bluestreak007
Last edited by Bluestreak007; Aug 22, 2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:34 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak007 View Post
Turnigy 9x with standard TX/RX modules won't go 1km on ground - that's for sure! Also, there is no failsafe with the standard 9x receiver which is asking for trouble (I find these things out the hard way )
The Turnigy 9x as a radio itself is awesome value when you by a programmer and flash it with ER9X firmware. I'd recommend this radio with a uhf module (although I don't know anything about the EZUHF).
The yagi as a receiver antenna works very well but if you want even better you can build yourself a Helical and cloverleaf setup - That might be something you want to do down the track though.

That 1.2ghz transmitter is pretty powerfull so make sure you put the antenna for it as far away as you can (like right out the back of the vehicle). Then put your vehicle receiver antenna as far away from that as possible!
Thanks mate, i thought 1km sounded alittle far for a standard TX. i will look into a UHF module, i have heard good things from dragonlink. but as always im alittle cheap so more research and ebay searching for me!
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:27 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris76 View Post
Did you already place an order for that 5.8Ghz video system? Try to cancel it then.

I am afraid that 5.8Ghz won't take you too far on the ground. In fact you will not let you drive out more than a few meters in open space. Driving behind objects - any object! - is out of question too!

/Dimitrios
With all due respect this statement is way off base. I'll be posting a video soon of me reaching 1 mile using a 5.8 system over open space. 5.8 has very small antenna that are nice and easy to pack in and conceal on a ground vehicle and as long as you have both the tx and rx antenna up high and stay in areas with low or no brush something like the 600mw IRC vtx with a cloverleaf and a 5 turn helical on thr rx will get you that far if you're rc link can keep up. My 72mhz first system was the weak link initially, then I upgraded to a 433mHz radio link and that's where I lost video link at 1 mile. Video was now the weaker link with the current antenna positioning.

I'm a big fan of 5.8 and like any freq you simply need to test tweak and adjust to maximize any signal.

But, yes, driving behind dense objects is futile. Some have had better penetration using lower freqs.
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
Last edited by CaliDave; Aug 22, 2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:48 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Dec 2011
137 Posts
That's very impressive that you have managed to get 1 mile with 5.8ghz Dave! Can't wait for the video !Cloverleaf with a Helical seem to be the way to go and having the antennas high off the ground as well. I guess it's a good idea to decide what sort of area you want to FPV in first before you decide on the frequency - i.e. my area is full of trees and hills so I find the lowest frequency the best - but there seems to be to much interference around 910mhz so I have to go a little higher.

I've updated my earlier post #8 (also in my blog) with prices and links on where I got my gear from.
Bluestreak007 is offline Find More Posts by Bluestreak007
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:24 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDave View Post
I'll be posting a video soon of me reaching 1 mile using a 5.8 system
Wow! 1 Mile! thats great! the best i have done was 300m with stock antennas, but i will be building up some different styled antennas when i find the time and just seeing what works best for me. but with the 1.2G ordered i think i will keep the 5.8G for my planes. But good work mate! i have seen alot of your videos and what you have done with the Summit is great! you could say your videos have inspired me to get into ground FPV'ing.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:27 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak007 View Post
I've updated my earlier post #8 (also in my blog) with prices and links on where I got my gear from.
Cheers! very useful!
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:55 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
I have been looking at UHF modules and have noticed HK have recently bought out a very affordable one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...R_module_.html Its connects straight into a JR TX so it will work with my Turnigy 9x, i might order one. seems like a cheap mans alternative to something like the DrangonLink.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:06 AM
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jan 2008
2,558 Posts
Another idea for optimizing video transmission at any range is using a directional antenna mounted on a tracker. No need for a elevation axis - only azimuth constantly pointing to the ground station.

You can use Ardupilot's ground point tracking feature for that.

/Dimitrios
Dimitris76 is offline Find More Posts by Dimitris76
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Sep 2007
767 Posts
I swapped out the 72 mhz control link with a Dragonlink today. I got 1200 feet and was not even trying to go far. Was able to drive through a garage and crawl out the back and over a step at 1000 feet. DL antenna mast folded and the antenna was basicall dragging sideways and still no problems.

300mw 1280mhz video with skew planar antenna
DL 433 mhz control
no torroids
LC filter on power evein though sepater 3S battery for trans/cam
benderfly is offline Find More Posts by benderfly
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:05 PM
W4UAV
Gainesville, FL
Joined Nov 2005
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benderfly View Post
I swapped out the 72 mhz control link with a Dragonlink today. I got 1200 feet and was not even trying to go far. Was able to drive through a garage and crawl out the back and over a step at 1000 feet. DL antenna mast folded and the antenna was basicall dragging sideways and still no problems.

300mw 1280mhz video with skew planar antenna
DL 433 mhz control
no torroids
LC filter on power evein though sepater 3S battery for trans/cam
Very nice!
RaptorAP is offline Find More Posts by RaptorAP