HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:20 PM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
220 Posts
Hi guys,
three flights today , about 20 minutes total, on the same battery.... had to stop when the undercart came off again. It's gone on with gorilla glue this time, weather was closing in a bit as well, so I decided to sack it and leg it home changed my sons car battery outside the house in hail and thunder ten minutes later
gordynic is offline Find More Posts by gordynic
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:13 PM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
220 Posts
guess what came off after three landings? .and the tail wheel his time. anyone got any ideas maybe a plate with rubber bands or something
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:34 PM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
769 Posts
Gordynic- I'm guess the landings are all on grass? What type of glue did you use the first time, where the last time was with gorilla? Speaking of gorilla, which gorilla glue?
Smokin_Joes is online now Find More Posts by Smokin_Joes
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:50 PM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Gordynic, do not know if it is available in Scotland, but I would highly recommend UHU POR glue if you can get hold of it. It is a contact clue that have perfect properties when it comes to working with foam. Sticks to all kind of surfaces, but dries a little bit flexible. In my experience, this suits the material properties of foam. When the foam flexes under load, a stiff glue joint from something like epoxy or CA wil mechanically tear apart, while the slightly flexible joint from UHU POR will flex in the same amount as the foam and keep the parts together...
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Feb 24, 2013, 03:33 PM
CP heli ≠ 3D heli
United States, NJ, Point Pleasant Beach
Joined Mar 2009
1,676 Posts
I used a pair of long CF rods and some body shop plastic adhesive glued in parallel with the landing gear rods, works beautifully.
Gedexas is offline Find More Posts by Gedexas
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:19 AM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
220 Posts
It was the white gorilla glue pen , but i dont think that I put enough on first time. I've reassembled it with the gorilla again , this time loads of glue and sprayed one side with a little clean water ..the foam was oozingout and when it dried I cut it back with a scalpel, but I've left a little ovelap on the front of the slot , have to wait and see if this works or whether I must take a more mechanical means of secureing it in.... yes, it was on grass and it was alittle on the long sid, but with flaps down and full revs , she was off in about 18 inches. I love this plane
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:04 PM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
769 Posts
Gordynic, Glad to see you love the plane regardless of the challenges you have encountered with the undercarriage..
Earlier you commented on modifying servos/linkages/wing spar etc. Can you comment on these at this point?

I've since ordered a comparable motor but for 3s. I will plan to upgrade the spars in the main wing. Update the ESC to one I know can handle 3s. That's about it. The motor is about 6mm shorter than stock. Not sure yet if I will do something with the motor mount or if possible, cut the cowl shorter.

Oh, this would all be for Wilga-2. I plan to leave Wilga-1 bone stock or up-date/grade as needed.

~Cheers,

Neil
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:12 PM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
220 Posts
Neil, I'm leaving it as it comes out the box, until I really break something.Its just such a good flyeras it is......I said before I'll say it again, I love this little plane
Old Mar 03, 2013, 02:17 PM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
220 Posts
evening all,.... This weekend has been great,..The weather was almost still . just before lunchtime my granddaughter let a helium birthday ballon go out side, it went straight up , three or four minutes later it was still above the house, albeit a little dot in the sky.... off to the park with the wilga ...this plane just surprises me more every time I fly it. I spent the first 30 minutes just doing circuits and bumps and slow, oh so slow, flypasts with the flaps lowered she takes off in still air in about 2 feet and climbs at 60 plus degrees with the throttle opened up....
I ran four battery packs through it and it performed admirably, HK this one is a winner in my books.. I also threw up my st models asw17 but the air was so still she just went up on the motor and circled back down.... but I ran two full batteries through her whilst the wilga was on charge........ all in all a fine days flying.. weather was a bit nippy, but this is Scotland and officially it isn't even spring yet by the way, the reaired under carriage has held up well...I obviously didn't use enough gorilla glue first time around
Last edited by gordynic; Mar 03, 2013 at 02:19 PM. Reason: ..
Old Mar 04, 2013, 11:07 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Glad to hear about Wilga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordynic View Post
evening all,.... This weekend has been great,..The weather was almost still . just before lunchtime my granddaughter let a helium birthday ballon go out side, it went straight up , three or four minutes later it was still above the house, albeit a little dot in the sky.... off to the park with the wilga ...this plane just surprises me more every time I fly it. I spent the first 30 minutes just doing circuits and bumps and slow, oh so slow, flypasts with the flaps lowered she takes off in still air in about 2 feet and climbs at 60 plus degrees with the throttle opened up....
I ran four battery packs through it and it performed admirably, HK this one is a winner in my books.. I also threw up my st models asw17 but the air was so still she just went up on the motor and circled back down.... but I ran two full batteries through her whilst the wilga was on charge........ all in all a fine days flying.. weather was a bit nippy, but this is Scotland and officially it isn't even spring yet by the way, the reaired under carriage has held up well...I obviously didn't use enough gorilla glue first time around
The local weather has too windy and/or too cold, (in central Florida), to get a test flight in on mine. Glad to hear of your success!
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:24 PM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
220 Posts
Honest Guv, she was just flying slowly past when the bleedin great tree reaches out and snatches her out the air!!!!!!

cowl isn't very strong but is now lined with surgical tape, and the elevator horn broke off new one screwed onto the flat piece of the broken one and shes ready for tomorrow

I said to myself, "its getting a bit dark I'll stop now" , but this little voice said "go on just one more circuit".......... I swear I heard him laughing as he went off into the distance
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:27 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
That Devil....

He sure does get around!
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Mar 11, 2013, 01:43 PM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
769 Posts
This weekend I took my stock Wilga up. Slight winds. I lost count of how many touch and goes I did. She is wonderful! My buddy who is a speed freak was astonished at how well she floated, so much that he is now planning to get one of these! I suppose it helped that there is a local full scale airport that had a few students flying, doing the same routine. Slow down, drop flaps, crawl while lining up for final. Least I presume that's what they were doing.

Back to the winds; on about 6 approaches I got to play with crosswind landings. How AWESOME she was!! Yaw to the right but she just coasted in and down, correcting herself once the tires touched the "runway," just like all the videos I've seen of real aircraft landing in crosswinds on youtube.

This weeken, I wasn't using massive amounts of flaps. Less than 45° So I think that's true to life. When looking at them, they certainly don't look like much they move down much, but I could definitely feel the difference. Previous flights in the past with anything more than that and I felt like I was fighting her on the way down and would much rather land with no flaps, that is if I wanted a smooth scale like landing. I look forward to more flights and flap testing.

I had a on board camera, but it appears I had the wrong settings as it didn't take video. Next time!!

~Cheers,

Neil
Old Mar 14, 2013, 02:40 AM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
220 Posts
heres a neat trick...... before you fly, make sure you have lots of down elevator,...... push the battery in , but leave it loose now take off full power, nose up around 80-90 degrees. ....at about 300 feet waggle the rudder right and stir the other stick around like your stirring porridge. this throws the battery to the back of the cockpit area changing the c of g ....... now try to land in one piece.(I managed)......now take the model home and change your pants
Old Mar 14, 2013, 01:25 PM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Been there - done that

Glad to hear that you got her down in one piece!
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE