KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:42 PM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Got the Wilga today

Got it together in 30 minutes and took it for the maiden straight away (despite heavy overcast and a fair bit of wind):

EasySky Wilga 35a (HobbyKing) (2 min 50 sec)

Sweet little flyer with plenty of power, more than enough aileron authority, and gentle stall characteristics.

Guess you can toss it around like a slightly larger HZ Champ when there is no wind
Last edited by KaiWE; Sep 11, 2012 at 04:03 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:15 PM
▲▼▲▼≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣ ≣≣≣≣≣ ▼▲▼▲
United States, MD, Laurel
Joined Mar 2010
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiWE View Post
Got the Wilga today

Sweet little flyer with plenty of power, more than enough aileron authority, and gentle stall characteristics.

Guess you can toss it around like a slightly Champ when there is no wind

You are so lucky... mine has cleared customs too... I am dying too get my wilga and take it up in the skies...

Also, were you able to do any stunts (barrel-rolls or loops) with it? If so, please provide any feedback...
IndiaHobby is online now Find More Posts by IndiaHobby
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaHobby View Post
You are so lucky... mine has cleared customs too... I am dying too get my wilga and take it up in the skies...

Also, were you able to do any stunts (barrel-rolls or loops) with it? If so, please provide any feedback...
Yes, this little lady (wilgaga ) is quite capable of most basic stunts as rolls & loops...

Cannot tell you how she does loops out of the box though. My elevator servo was faulty, so I swapped in a 6g Turnigy with a longer horn resulting in a-bit-more-than-stock elevator travel. Enough power for long vertical climb, and enough to pull you out of (or into) trouble. Plenty of aileron authority for rolls...

Could do with some more rudder - I'll see if I get enough travel going one hole in on the horn or I might change to a Turnigy servo with longer horn for the rudder as well - the horn on the original servo is as short as it gets
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:16 AM
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
A little write-up after putting the plane together and flying 3 batteries yesterday afernoon:

Came well packaged, in the normal HobbyKing fasion with the outer case "inverted", original manufacturers print inwards. No foam inlay, the bits and part came in a cardboard box with the different parts taped to the sides.

Decent manual (for both the Wilga and the YAK-12) covering all the important bits, and the assembly was really straight forward.

The main wing has one servo covering both ailerons and one servo for the flaps.

All control rods have a z-bend at the servo and they are easily adjusted at the horns with this fastener:

A simple but functional solution...

The horizontal stabilizer and rudder is glued on to the back of the fuselage, as well as the tail wheel assembly (separate control rod from the rudder servo to the steerable tailweel). The main undercarriage is a steel wire construction with plastic suspension parts - the whole thing snaps into a plastic retainger in the fuselage, and foam parts are glued onto the legs for more scale appearence.
I selected to not glue the "legs" to the fuselage so that the whole undercarriage can be easily removed without damaging any foam.

There is plenty of room for the receiver and battery behind the neat door, and the door handle have a nice "click" when it goes into the locked position. The battery have a designated spot just behind the motor with velcro on the floor, and a small ridge scuring the battery from moving backwards in the fuselage.

I went with 2S 850mAh NanoTechs for my maiden flight ( that was what I had charged and with JST connectors ) - and with that battery pushed all forward I was starting to get close to the indicated CG (52 mm back from the leading edge). I temporarely moved the receiver to the top of the battery, and got to a CG of ca 60mm and decided to have a go with that. No problem to get the CG correct with a heavier 1000-1300 2S battery later on - there is plenty of space to move the batteries and receiver around, and the access is easy thanks to the side door opening...

After hooking up the receiver to center all servos etc. I noticed that the elevator servo was not functioning properly, it was working intermittently, and ended up stuck in one of the end positions. I swapped it out with a 6g Turnigy, and the bonus was a longer servo arm giving me much more elevator travel

Another new feature for me was this motor mount:

No risk of a bent motor axle here, with the combination of flexible motor mount and a prop saver Should make it easy to adjust side- and down thrust as well...

There was a extra propeller in the box, and they actually look quite good - Yellow tips and a "semi-scale" hub...

The whole assembly took me under 30 minutes, and after letting the glue cure for another 30 minutes, I decided to have a go despite a gusty 10-15 mph wind...

The little lady jumped off the ground in centimetres - on the take-off in the movie clip, I was actually keeping her down to keep it a bit more scale looking .

A click or two of up-elevator, and two left aileron, and she was as straight flying as I could get her in the wind...

I wished for some more rudder authority so that I could do more level turns in the wind - beeing so lightweight, she got blown around seriously when banking to much... With the rudder travel I had available, I could not turn around tightly enough for my limited space, so I had to risk some banking

The rudder servo has a very short arm with the rod for the back wheel at the innermost hole and the rod for the rudder in the next. I will probably swap the servo with a 6g Turnigy/longer arm as I did with the elevator, keep the wheel rod in the innermost hole and move the rudder rod further out to get more travel.

She was showing exellent behaviour, and the stall was gentle and straight forward - the motor have more than enough pull for short STOL take-offs, hauling against the wind and powering out of uncomfortable situations. On the other hand, she was happy to fly around on 1/4 throttle without any flaps deployed. With full flaps in the winds, she was climbing at zero ground speed

Looking very much forward to fly her again in little/no wind - she seems to have exellent slow flying capabilities

The flaps have somewhat limited travel (I'am spoiled with the extreme travel from the FunCub) and I'll see what can be done after having tried flying with flaps in less wind.

All and all, I am very happy with this little lady!

Greetings from Norway,
Kai W-E
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:17 AM
Suspended Account
Switzerland
Joined Aug 2012
173 Posts
Sweet photos. I'm planning on buying one frm HK-it looks like they offer two sizes. I think ts newer one larger one (yours) is the road to go. Be sure to follow up there re no good videos of the wigla on youtube! Mick
mikhail tupulov is offline Find More Posts by mikhail tupulov
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:34 AM
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Will try to get some better videos shot next time - hopefully in less wind, so I can play more with flaps-down slow flying

The other Wilga (Wilga 2000 with 3-blade propeller and floats, and with 1160mm wing span - it is actually 21cm wider than this one) is in a completly different league compared to this one - I have them both...

The 2000 is a nice plane, as soon as you change the ESC for one that is 3S-capable, but looks much more like a toy/trainer, and have poor aileron authority - at least compared to the 35A.

The QC on my 2000 was a joke - it was lacking the elevator servo and the control rod all together On the first flight with 3S, the bell-type motor spun off the motor bracket due to a poorly tightened set screw (no way to inspect it - the cowl was glued on solid, not fastened with screws), and I had to dead-stick it in... Now it flies like a charm with a Park450 motor instead of the factory bell motor, but the 35 still looks (and flies) much better

If you're going to have only one Wilga (from HobbyKing), the 35A is the one to get
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:44 PM
Joined Mar 2010
697 Posts
Unboxing Of Hobbyking Wilga PLZ 104 RC Plane 950 MM

Finally received my Wilga a few days ago. First impression are very positive. Here is the Unboxing video

HobbyKing Wilga Unboxing PLZ 104 RC Plane 950MM (2 min 51 sec)
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:56 PM
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Very little wind today, and I had a blast flying with the Wilga! With full flaps, she would slow down to walking speed - I actually walked alongside her around the soccer field

Really fun to to STOL takeoffs and landings - she's literary off in centimeters. This plane should really be called the FunWilga - she really gives my FunCub serious competition for being my fav bush plane. The UC suspension works quite well, was amazing to watch her taxi on a pretty rough gravel field

Moved the rod to the innermost hole on the rudder horn, but I still could do with more rudder angle. Rear wheel and rudder have individual rods, and I just found out that the wheel have the outer position at the servo horn of the two - will swap them around before next flight to see if that is enough...
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Mar 2010
697 Posts
@Kaiwe, I did not have a good experience with my Wilga. I think the angle of the motor was incorrectly set on my model. If possible can you share if your motor has any down-thrust and if you could take a picture of the motor mount (without canopy)... that will be super awesome
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:39 AM
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Another fun Wilga day :)

Six hours flying for my son and I before it got to windy and we swapped to RC cars and motorbikes

Hobbyking Wilga Low'n Slow :) (2 min 0 sec)

First thing in the morning, before the morning fog cleared up, I flew the Wilga around in the same space my son flew his Champ - great fun!!!

IndiaHobby: I do not have access to a computer for uploading pictures this weekend (just iPad/iPhone), but will upload a picture of the motor/mount when I get back at work tomorrow!
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:48 PM
CP heli ≠ 3D heli
United States, NJ, Point Pleasant Beach
Joined Mar 2009
1,674 Posts
Has anyone been able to locate some spare parts supplier for this plane?
Gedexas is offline Find More Posts by Gedexas
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:49 AM
Planes, need more planes
United States, MO, Chesterfield
Joined Feb 2006
851 Posts
I finally debugged mine after four crashes.

I recently bought this plane and set up the CG at 52mm and the darn thing was very.tail heavy. I added a 1/2 once of lead to the nose in order to get it to fly without catastrophic stalls. Now it flys great. I had the battery as far forward as possible but it was not enough. Now it is very smooth. I mixed in down elevator with the flaps and am good to go. This plane is extremely crash friendly. After four diggers from about 10 straight in to the dirt very little damage. Fun little plane once dialed in.
flyguide7 is offline Find More Posts by flyguide7
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:24 AM
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Interesting to see other people's opinion on the Wilga
I fly mine with a small light 850 mAh 2-cell, just as far forward as it gets without "forcing" it and have no added weight. Have not really exactly checked where the CG ends up, just balanced it on the fingers and noted that it balances at approx. 1/3 of the wing chord. Cannot say that my plane feels or behaves tail heavy in any way, but I might be biased towards having the CG as far aft as possible - been flying mostly 3D planes lately

Guess my aft CG also was the reason that I could "hover" the Wilga for a couple of seconds the other day - my flying buddy was a bit impressed

I'm not sure if this is related to my slight aft CG, but my plane has the gentlest stall characteristics, just a gentle nod with the nose...
I also feel that I can maintain lower speeds with a slightly aft CG, and make smoother landings.
After changing out the faulty elevator servo for one with a longer arm, I ended up with quite extreme elevator deflection and I'm quite amazed over how tight loops I can do without snapping.
Swapping position of the tail wheel and rudder control rods on the servo helped a bit on the rudder deflection, and I feel that I'm almost content with the rudder authority now. Can bring it around in quite tight circles at low speed without rolling the plane to much now - but knowing myself, I will swap the rudder servo for one with more precision and a longer arm sooner or later.

Ailerons have plenty of travel, but guess I will try to get some more flap movement - guess I'm at 45 deg. max at the moment, the goal will be about 60 to see what happens

I have a Wilga kit on its way and when that arrives, I guess the "old one" will be an experimental platform to develop the ultimate Wilga, it sure has the potential to be a perfect "small area slow flyer"
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:29 PM
Planes, need more planes
United States, MO, Chesterfield
Joined Feb 2006
851 Posts
After a grueling day at the office, I came home, kissed my wife grabbed wilga and a 1000mah pack and flew her for about 20 minutes in the yard. She flew great. With full flaps she will crawl, but I have to go very easy on the throttle or she will nose to the sky. I took her up to about 300 feet and shut her down deployed full flaps and floated around like a lazy hawk. Beautiful! Give her 1/8 throttle and she just cruises by at walking speed. This slow flying stuff is fun.
This plane is definitely a keeper.

I have about 2.5 acres of grass in sort of an L shape surrounded by very tall trees but wilga is very manageable in tight spaces.
flyguide7 is offline Find More Posts by flyguide7