HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2012, 06:27 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
This simple simulator will teach you the basics: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/vo...ing/index.html

This more detailed simulator will improve your abilities: http://www.virtualskipper.com/ Just try the free version first. Once you get the hang of it, go to the fixed location outside view. It will be as if you are controlling an RC sailboat.
there are RC sailboat sims!? wow... I once found a model made for FMS, but dang! off to the download mobile!

to be fair... the worst accident you could possibly have with a RC sail boat is a critical collision in a race and sinking. loss of all power and radio? wait a little while and it will eventually drift back to shore.. powered boats, especially go fast boats are an entire different matter all together of course. apparently a go fast boat recently lost radio at sprekels dam and launched onto shore.. dude apparently blamed cross frequency when a bad RX nicad was really to blame.

boats, unlike airplanes don't have as much of a tendency to vanish in a cloud of balsa splinters and disappointment like airplanes can.

and thats another thing. I also understand that model boaters have a higher hobby related mortality rate compared to their air born brethren.

why?

people wading after stricken boats and drowning for the effort. all boats will eventually drift back to shore, unless tangled in weeds, and if that's the case, you may very well get tangled in those same weeds. your life is not worth it.

sorry about the ramble.. carry on... off to download them sims.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:35 PM
I DS slower than I build!
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,348 Posts
They aren't really RC sims, but they seem to teach the basics well for someone who doesn't understand how sailboats work.
Cory is online now Find More Posts by Cory
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:07 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,649 Posts
A good book to have in your library is Sailing to Win by Nick Weall,
Argus Books, ISBN 1854860771, 9781854860774

The book's version of the racing rules is technically dated (1991), but Weall's advice on the basics of how to sail, tactics, tuning your boat and more are fairly 'evergreen' and will stand you in good stead for years.

The prices on Amazon are outrageous though, between $155 and a bit over $2300 - here be insanity, probably resulting from an automated pricing system!

Check the other used book sellers like Abe Books (see list below) and you'll might find it eventually for a more reasonable price, but I've been told that anything under $150 is supposedly 'reasonable' as the book is sought after (a beat-up copy recently went for over $98 plus shipping on eBay).

There's one very nice copy currently on eBay at a real good price (currently under $10).

www.alibris.com
www.abebooks.com
http://www.powells.com/used/
http://www.bookfinder.com/
www.greenapplebooks
Book Finder

Abe currently has a one under $50 and another at around $65
Alibris also has one for $54

Otherwise the best thing it to just get out there and sail, sail, sail and then sail some more Good Luck!
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Aug 23, 2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:10 PM
Valiant Poultry
United States, MI, Jackson
Joined Apr 2012
855 Posts
Alright everyone, I'm about to order one of the Nirvanas with the FM radio.

Seems like a good deal, and I really like the idea of taking it to the boat club at the lake with me. I've been looking around and it seems like I may have some luck with a sailing club, so that's cool too!
Gimpdiggity is offline Find More Posts by Gimpdiggity
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:18 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpdiggity View Post

Seems like a good deal, and I really like the idea of taking it to the boat club at the lake with me. I've been looking around and it seems like I may have some luck with a sailing club, so that's cool too!

Sound decision! Enjoy!

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:11 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,649 Posts
Quote:

Have a good time!
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:12 PM
Mike
USA, OH, Westerville
Joined Aug 2007
285 Posts
If you haven't ordered yet and would rather use your dx6i, you could use one of these receivers. I've had nothing but good luck with them.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5FPort%5F.html
muidaq is offline Find More Posts by muidaq
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:50 PM
Valiant Poultry
Joined Apr 2012
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muidaq View Post
If you haven't ordered yet and would rather use your dx6i, you could use one of these receivers. I've had nothing but good luck with them.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5FPort%5F.html

Hmmm...I haven't ordered yet.

That gives me a good idea, though. Considering the RTR with the FM radio is still quite a bit less than the 2.4ghz version, I can order the RTR then add this receiver. Then I can take that FM radio out of the Nirvana and use it for something else. I can also see if SailRC sells any of the Nirvanas without a radio at all.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:52 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,488 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm...I haven't ordered yet.

That gives me a good idea, though. Considering the RTR with the FM radio is still quite a bit less than the 2.4ghz version, I can order the RTR then add this receiver. Then I can take that FM radio out of the Nirvana and use it for something else. I can also see if SailRC sells any of the Nirvanas without a radio at all.
I think I mentioned that you should be able to by one of the earlier models Steve still has in stock that have the old AM 27mhz radio for $199.00 you can take that receiver out and the put it and the radio in the waste basket - use a 2.4 set up of your choice. You'd be money ahead - the boats are identical - a no brainer!

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:37 PM
Valiant Poultry
Joined Apr 2012
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
I think I mentioned that you should be able to by one of the earlier models Steve still has in stock that have the old AM 27mhz radio for $199.00 you can take that receiver out and the put it and the radio in the waste basket - use a 2.4 set up of your choice. You'd be money ahead - the boats are identical - a no brainer!

Boomer

Yah Boomer, that's the one I was talking about, the one for $199.

I try not to mention it so much because I don't know how many are left, and I'm hoping that they are still around in a week or two when I have the spare cash to make the purchase!!!
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:31 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2004
57 Posts
DX6I for sailboat use

If you want to use your DX6I, go ahead. I belong to a very active sailboat club in the Seattle area and almost all of us use this radio. I use an AR 6000 park flyer rx and have had no range problems for the past 3years. I would recommend the new AR 4000, it is full range and only 29.00. It's the cheapest Spektrum receiver. The Nirvana is a good boat but if you plan on racing someday, get a boat your local club races. Sailing a boat by yourself gets old, same as r/c cars. The beauty of sail boat racing a one hull class is the low cost, unlike power boats and cars.

Domo Jo
Toothless9 is offline Find More Posts by Toothless9
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:04 PM
Behind the curve in Rock Hill
United States, SC, Rock Hill
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
I bought the Sailing To Win that Craig mentioned above. I gotta tell you - it's tough going. Some say it's dated, and it is in some ways, but the racing rules haven't changed. The author's approach is to take the reader through more complex scenarios with the idea that not only will the reader gain an education in r/c sailing, but be firmly grounded in the rules as well. The author is verbose and writes like a school teacher who is a bit too full of himself. And he refers to local events. Gosport? Where the heck is Gosport. (I'm being sarcastic. I wiki'd it.)

All in all it's a long slog to windward - and I think my batteries just died.
jzami is offline Find More Posts by jzami
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:32 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,968 Posts
Don't the rc racing rules of sailing follow big boat rules but double the zone around marks? If so, the rules changed not long ago (for 2009 thru 2012), but for the better. They simplified a lot of the complex right of way crossing rules to make it easier to remember. Sounds like a new edition is due in 2013.
Either way, it's good to know how the rules apply.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:44 PM
Behind the curve in Rock Hill
United States, SC, Rock Hill
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
I'm not clear on the latest rules having just gotten back into r/c sailing after a long hiatus. But even if the scenarios are dated, they still give a beginner a solid grounding in the intent; i.e. port/starboard, windward/leeward, overtaking, rounding marks et al. Still, I think most of us sailed under the old rules, so we can relate. And even if the rules have changed, the tactics haven't much that I can tell.
jzami is offline Find More Posts by jzami