HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:14 AM
United Kingdom, Wales, Blaenau Ffestiniog
Joined Feb 2005
1,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
So you guys believe that making addiction and dependency easier would save money, lives etc?

I don't like drugs, believe it's an excuse for weak minded people to escape reality - which doesn't work - but don't know what the answer is.

I'm just wondering how making it more available and 'presuming' people will be more responsible (when they have already proven they are irresponsible by getting addicted in the first place) will reduce all the problems that the 'war on drugs' was trying to prevent.

A tricky problem..
Drugs - alcohol - if folks have a death wish who are we to limit their efforts?

I don't 'do' drugs (not even paracetamol) - I like whisky and beer, gin and rum but again, don't 'do' drunk even!

If you wanted to Norman, I'd be the last person to suggest the fun police come around to spoil your evening!
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:10 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
416 Posts
We should absolutely legalize pot.
RumRunner_1492 is offline Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:46 AM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINETORQUE View Post

I don't 'do' drugs (not even paracetamol) - I like whisky and beer, gin and rum but again, don't 'do' drunk even!

If you wanted to Norman, I'd be the last person to suggest the fun police come around to spoil your evening!
Considering how many get killed by drunk drivers?
dll932 is online now Find More Posts by dll932
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:46 AM
Joined Feb 2005
1,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dll932 View Post
Considering how many get killed by drunk drivers?
Getting drunk and falling over or dead isn't the same as falling over and getting into a car!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:51 AM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
This prohibition makes the last one look like a resounding success.
Real Ira is online now Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:52 AM
whiirrrrrr
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Quote:
So you guys believe that making addiction and dependency easier would save money, lives etc?

I don't like drugs, believe it's an excuse for weak minded people to escape reality - which doesn't work - but don't know what the answer is.

I'm just wondering how making it more available and 'presuming' people will be more responsible (when they have already proven they are irresponsible by getting addicted in the first place) will reduce all the problems that the 'war on drugs' was trying to prevent.

A tricky problem..
I see you don't understand addiction It has nothing to do with a weak mind, and everything to do with chemestry. Your statement about addiction runs right along with religous opinion and contrary to a modern understanding. You can say yeah, you are irresponsible for doing a drug, but not for the addiction. I can call you irresponsible for drinking alcohol aswell. Getting addicted isn't a conscience choice someone makes. In fact it's a completely unintended consequence.
srt8madness is offline Find More Posts by srt8madness
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:55 AM
United States, FL, Lake Worth
Joined Jun 2012
26 Posts
IF any were legalized, they would be heavily taxed which would help all economies in the short term. BUT we would then be taking care of a bunch of useless, burnt out people which would more than chew through the taxes long term. THEN crime would skyrocket due to the addictions by so many that need to kill and steal for money to purchase more.

Obviously, my opinion is no legalization. Society will be much worse off in the long term with legal drugs.
TheMark is offline Find More Posts by TheMark
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined Feb 2005
1,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMark View Post
IF any were legalized, they would be heavily taxed which would help all economies in the short term. BUT we would then be taking care of a bunch of useless, burnt out people which would more than chew through the taxes long term. THEN crime would skyrocket due to the addictions by so many that need to kill and steal for money to purchase more.

Obviously, my opinion is no legalization. Society will be much worse off in the long term with legal drugs.
Didn't work for alcohol
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:44 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8madness View Post
I see you don't understand addiction It has nothing to do with a weak mind, and everything to do with chemestry. Your statement about addiction runs right along with religous opinion and contrary to a modern understanding. You can say yeah, you are irresponsible for doing a drug, but not for the addiction. I can call you irresponsible for drinking alcohol aswell. Getting addicted isn't a conscience choice someone makes. In fact it's a completely unintended consequence.
So, people take drugs to begin with "because of chemistry"!

And I don't give a stuff about an individuals addiction - only the subsequent actions they undertake in order to satisfy their 'chemistry'!
If people keep it to themselves (that includes not drink-driving, or DUI or mugging etc to get money) they can use whatever they like until they die, as far as I'm concerned!

FYI - my mother and father were heavy smokers - up to 120 a day. Having seen how they were hooked I actively chose not to be one - at a time (the 60's) when males were considered less than males to not indulge.

Luckily I don't like the taste of alcohol, and drink pretty limited, typically sharing a bottle of wine every 2 weeks.

And as for drugs - I can handle my own reality, thank you very much - so don't need these mental and emotional crutches - required by those of weak minds!

And as 'getting addicted' is a completely known effect of taking drugs I suppose you need to add 'being stupid' to the list of weak-mindedness!
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:46 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,365 Posts
Quote:

As I've said earlier, ET - do what you like to yourself (and enjoy it) but keep it to yourself!

The rest of us don't want to pay for your (drug etc users) excesses!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined Feb 2005
1,847 Posts
Quote:
As I've said earlier, ET - do what you like to yourself (and enjoy it) but keep it to yourself!

The rest of us don't want to pay for your (drug etc users) excesses!
agreed - and 'the war' on drugs costs more than not waging a policing effort on same
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:48 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone_axe View Post
You do understand that the rest of the world considers the British to be alcoholics - don't you?

Alcohol is the most common way to escape reality.

The level of alcohol consumption in Britain is considered irresponsible and an addiction by the rest of the world's standards.
Where, in anything I've said, have I excluded alcoholism?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:48 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMark View Post

In areas where pot has been legalized crime has dropped and the percentage of people using hard drugs has declined. Since people can buy pot legally they are not exposed as much to hard drugs lowering the number of people getting addicted to them.
RumRunner_1492 is offline Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:49 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,365 Posts
Quote:
agreed - and 'the war' on drugs costs more than not waging a policing effort on same
As I've said, I don't know the answer - but suspect you have no info to support that claim either.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:49 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,201 Posts
Especially for ET and Kenny, from the Bible, "A time to kill and a time to heal."
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Own your own - What it means