Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Mar 2012
82 Posts
Discussion
Composite scratch build plans pages?

I've been building many of the scratch foamies on this forum and have had a blast learning how to build and fly them. Any pages here with scratch build composites plans? I looked around first and didn't see any. Thanks in advance.
jim2wright is offline Find More Posts by jim2wright
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:10 PM
Keep it Simple Stupid
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2011
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2wright View Post
I've been building many of the scratch foamies on this forum and have had a blast learning how to build and fly them. Any pages here with scratch build composites plans? I looked around first and didn't see any. Thanks in advance.
Nope

With composites you can:
1) Cover something you already got (to make it better in some way)
2) Make a mold of something, then make copies.
3) Make furry, sticky, stinky blobs of goo.

Most people here are focused in/on/around #2. In other forums you'll find a lot of the glider/sailplane dudes use composites to compliment foam (add strength/reduce weight).

In short, you can make anything that you can dream of. However, most of the time/energy/money is spent in the Dream -> Reality part. Start from scratch if you like and invent something (it's a LOOOOOOONG road), or find plans for a plane you like.

Build a model from whatever you want without much regard to weight (It's nice if it doesn't fall apart easily). However, be laser-focused on getting an extremely smooth, glossy surface without wrinkles, bumps, dips, creases, etc.

Once you get to that step, come back here and you'll find lots of advice and reading material on producing a mold, and then pulling light-weight, strong parts from it.

Oh, and I'll share what was shared with me: Plan on it taking 10x longer and costing 100x more than you think it will
razortoe is offline Find More Posts by razortoe
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:43 PM
closed due to popular demand
Joined Jul 2011
324 Posts
ibuild is offline Find More Posts by ibuild
Last edited by ibuild; Oct 19, 2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:49 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Do a search for Supra and SuperGee. These are available planes for composite gliders. You don't have to build any molds, but you can if you want. You will need a vacuum bagging system.
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old Aug 21, 2012, 05:55 AM
Keep it Simple Stupid
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2011
244 Posts
The others are right, DLGs (going with #1) may be a good way to get your feet wet. I've seen lots of composite-reinforced foamie DLGs at the field.

If you go the totally from scratch route, I'd hit the Modeling Science forum frequently. I found a ton of help there in coming up with a 'it might actually fly' design. You can check out my current endeavor along these lines: n00b Composite Scratchbuild 32" Slowflyer . Adam's (wyowindworks) got a really cool inflation-bladder trick he uses. You can read about that and what's involved in mold-building on his (very frequently referenced) Making A Long Skinny Thingy.

Also Adam's right, you will probably want a vacuum pump. Plan on dropping $100 - $500+ (depending on the quality). I'd buy a higher quality mufti-stage rotary-vane model if you plan on sticking with composites for a good-long while. In that case, you'll probably also want a full vacuum rig with vacuum chamber and electronically-controlled wizardry .
razortoe is offline Find More Posts by razortoe