HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2012, 03:21 PM
Joined Jun 2009
409 Posts
Build Log
Experiment with a new (?) type of airfoil

Yesterday I started building a high wing micro plane who would be quite stable and well behaved after having many problems with my two previous micro plane builds (here and here).

In order to simplify the building of the main wing I thought of cutting off the leading edge and gluing in on top of the wing.
Thus, the wing has a sharp leading edge and also a step in its thickness, similar to the KF airfoils (see attached pictures).

Yesterday, I only did the main wing and cut out the elevator.
More to come, although this build will proceed at a slow pace due to many other obligations.
flylowfast is offline Find More Posts by flylowfast
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:55 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,788 Posts
once you start getting down to the very small scale, airfoil data does not always scale down. birds that thermal for hours look very differnt from top of the line gliders.

is this going to be scale looking?
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:54 PM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
I like the idea...but yeah, you may well see very little difference to a 'standard' wing.
The cuts give a good look to the wing shape and may reduce tip stalling in slow flight. That sort of thing seems to help with backyard gusts of wind too. Either which way, it looks better than a school ruler

Another thing perhaps, is to sand upward underneath the wing. While most shapings indeed don't matter much, it works like reflex on a flying wing. The airflow is just more stable out of the back of the wing, heading onto the tail. I've had good results with a 45 degree sanding on the lower leading edge and less of an angle but deeper into the wing at the rear.
Slider2732 is offline Find More Posts by Slider2732
Old Aug 21, 2012, 06:21 AM
Joined Jun 2009
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post

is this going to be scale looking?
No, since this is not a model of a real plane.
It will look mostly like a high wing trainer.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 06:23 AM
Joined Jun 2009
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider2732 View Post

Another thing perhaps, is to sand upward underneath the wing. While most shapings indeed don't matter much, it works like reflex on a flying wing. The airflow is just more stable out of the back of the wing, heading onto the tail. I've had good results with a 45 degree sanding on the lower leading edge and less of an angle but deeper into the wing at the rear.
On the leading edge there is not a lot of material left to sand the lower surface.
On the back edge, I could sand or cut a bit off, but I doubt it will have any effect.