SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:06 PM
Joined Aug 2012
16 Posts
Discussion
Is this a good deal?

Hey,

So I'm thinking of gettin into RC quadcopters. I'd like to get into FPV flying etc.

I was wondering if you guys think this looks like a good deal?

http://onlyflyingmachines.com/product/1447/

From what I can see googling around the net, this seems like a pretty good offer, but I'd like to hear more experienced peoples' take on it.

Thanks for any help,

Your pal,
CS
Captain.Sassy is offline Find More Posts by Captain.Sassy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:18 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
Nonono, let the people here put together something for you. Be patient and we'll help out. I personally think that his prices are too high.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:22 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
First off, you can easily find a quad that outperforms that one in nearly every way for around 200 bucks. A 600tvl camera can be bought from Securitycameras2000.com för 45 bucks. The one I use was reviewed by Bruce at Rcmodelreviews on Youtube and performs incredibly well in direct sunlight, sky and ground is clear no matter where you look and what you look at.

The 5.8ghz kit, 200mw will work just fine and give you greater range than any 2.4 radio will ever give you. 70 bucks for the 5.8ghz kit over at Hobbyking, couple of bucks for an SMA pigtail on eBay which can be used to make your own set of Cloverleaf/SPW antennas that will more than double the range and make the kit usable near trees and buildings. Patch antenna, don't think you'll want to use that when starting out, an omni will do just fine and give you 2km+ in every direction.

7" screen can be found on eBay for 30 bucks. Resolution isn't the greatest, but they work.

EDIT: Let's not forget, that's a Lotus quadcopter. I believe their reputation isn't the best. They use proprietary ESCs, if something breaks you have to replace the entire unit as opposed to regular standalone ESCs which can easily be replaced and then moved to the next quad you buy or even flashed for improved performance in the future, depending on which ESCs you go for.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Aug 2012
16 Posts
Hey man,

Thanks for your help. I'm not really looking to build something from scratch... I'm interested more in just getting started on flying around ASAP, and getting into upgrading / tinkering etc. a little later.

Can you recommend me another RTF or ARTF kit somewhere if you think the lotus FPV deal is bogus?

And really I do appreciate you taking the time to help out!
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:11 PM
United States, MD
Joined May 2012
204 Posts
Don't get that one you linked. I personally don't know of any good RTF ones (cause i built my own) but im sure other people here do.
iCrap is offline Find More Posts by iCrap
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:04 PM
making crashing a lifestyle!
The Netherlands, UT, Soest
Joined Feb 2012
1,039 Posts
goodluck buy has plenty arf kits. and enough choice for fpv tx/rx combo's.
it's pretty much a one stop shop with good prices, and bad communication..
i have bought a lot from them and never had a problem..
dutchcommando is offline Find More Posts by dutchcommando
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined Aug 2012
16 Posts
so is this a good deal then?

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/lotusrc-t...-fc-tx-rx.html

Or this?
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/dji-f330-...propeller.html

I think the second one can be upgraded with gps stuff which sounds kind of cool, but the first one seems to come with the receiver and transmitter all included...

Thoughts?

Thanks for the suggestion too!
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:19 PM
Joined Aug 2012
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCrap View Post
Don't get that one you linked. I personally don't know of any good RTF ones (cause i built my own) but im sure other people here do.
Is it just cause you don't like the lotus 380? or is it that that package deal isn't as good as it seems?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 01:39 AM
James not bond
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined May 2012
2,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
First off, you can easily find a quad that outperforms that one in nearly every way for around 200 bucks. A 600tvl camera can be bought from Securitycameras2000.com för 45 bucks. The one I use was reviewed by Bruce at Rcmodelreviews on Youtube and performs incredibly well in direct sunlight, sky and ground is clear no matter where you look and what you look at.

The 5.8ghz kit, 200mw will work just fine and give you greater range than any 2.4 radio will ever give you. 70 bucks for the 5.8ghz kit over at Hobbyking, couple of bucks for an SMA pigtail on eBay which can be used to make your own set of Cloverleaf/SPW antennas that will more than double the range and make the kit usable near trees and buildings. Patch antenna, don't think you'll want to use that when starting out, an omni will do just fine and give you 2km+ in every direction.

7" screen can be found on eBay for 30 bucks. Resolution isn't the greatest, but they work.

EDIT: Let's not forget, that's a Lotus quadcopter. I believe their reputation isn't the best. They use proprietary ESCs, if something breaks you have to replace the entire unit as opposed to regular standalone ESCs which can easily be replaced and then moved to the next quad you buy or even flashed for improved performance in the future, depending on which ESCs you go for.
I'm looking at this configuration for my fpv quad. where can I find more details about the antenna to extended distance to 2km? (I got no idea about handmade cloverleaf antenna and omni?)

great thanks
jy0933 is offline Find More Posts by jy0933
Old Aug 20, 2012, 01:49 AM
Joined Jun 2012
245 Posts
The Lotus 380 is a good quad, you will find many here don't like RTF Quads, even if they are good, many seems totally aganst buying one you can fly out of the box. I personally cannot be bothered to build one, or a kit, these can be hard to get going right, if your a beginner, and need adjustments on computers to get right, and fiddly.

I just want to fly without the hassles. Go for the Lotus t380, it gets good reviews.

I got the Walkera MX400 UFO comes with Aluminium case, good for transporting your quad. You can buy these complete and ready to fly, and a nice quad, with good frame.

Mine runs and flies pretty smooth and great value for money, looks good with all lights going.

I cannot believe the amount of people on here ,who are so prejudice towards buying a complete quad, and only believe building one, or a kit is the only way to go, not everyone wants to build one, and it's nice to have the option to go out and buy one complete and fly in 5 mins, without the frustrations. Also the Hoten X by Walkera is a nice quad, and can buy the complete quad with controller, only if you go this way, do not get one with the Devo 7 controller, it is not a good one and menus are poor.

The Devo 6s, or 8S is the one to get.
denodan is offline Find More Posts by denodan
Old Aug 20, 2012, 02:23 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
I'm personally not prejudiced against RTF quads. I've bought several myself and I'm about to buy two more this week. Thing is, this particular quad isn't the best RTF quad out there. I'm sure it'll work, but it uses proprietary parts and probably won't be able to carry as much as other quads.

I was going to recommend some of the DJI kits, but I've recommended them so many times that I thought I'd wait for someone else to suggest something instead. I want to see what else is out there. Yes, it does take some effort to get these things into the air, if you want a quad that's twice as powerful if used with 4S, with four times the video range then yes, you need to order from two different places and make your own antennas. But it's really not that difficult.

Heck, I might be able to help out and make you a pair. I have extra SMA pigtails lying around, I don't need more antennas at the moment.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 02:33 AM
Joined Jun 2012
245 Posts
Unless you been into Helicopters, these things can be so powerful, it is easy for them to get away on you very easy. They can shoot up faster then you can react and get away on you, if your not careful.
denodan is offline Find More Posts by denodan
Old Aug 20, 2012, 02:55 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
You know what, I was going to write a post about this thing. But when I look at it... It's not quite an RTF quad, so whatever you decide to do, you still have to order extra parts from other places and you also need to solder connectors unless it comes with XT60 or a deans plug already. You also need to power the ground-station and FPV gear somehow.

Hobbyking has a bunch of new, cheap transmitters in the Turnigy line of transmitters. 2200mah 3S Lipos cost 8-9 bucks a piece. Chargers can be had for 15 bucks or less, but be aware that some of them only come with alligator clips which are meant to be used on say, car batteries out at the field. These can be used at home, but then you'd have to find an AC adapter that outputs 12v at 2amps or more, then split the cable and attach the alligator clips to positive and negative.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 03:03 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2011
465 Posts
I'd advise against a Walkera Tx - not that they're bad, I fly one. It that only Walkera Rx ($40 ea) will work with them as far as I've been able to find out.
Jim
Jem3 is offline Find More Posts by Jem3
Old Aug 20, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined Aug 2012
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
I'm personally not prejudiced against RTF quads. I've bought several myself and I'm about to buy two more this week. Thing is, this particular quad isn't the best RTF quad out there. I'm sure it'll work, but it uses proprietary parts and probably won't be able to carry as much as other quads.

I was going to recommend some of the DJI kits, but I've recommended them so many times that I thought I'd wait for someone else to suggest something instead. I want to see what else is out there. Yes, it does take some effort to get these things into the air, if you want a quad that's twice as powerful if used with 4S, with four times the video range then yes, you need to order from two different places and make your own antennas. But it's really not that difficult.

Heck, I might be able to help out and make you a pair. I have extra SMA pigtails lying around, I don't need more antennas at the moment.
If you're getting some RTF kits, you mind me asking which ones?