HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:37 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,966 Posts
Did some work on my Oberursel it's not pretty but it spins nicely. Also added some additional MG details.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:28 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
I'm sure it won't - tissue is tissue, just like "motor oil is motor oil". Seriously though, the silver tissue I have is not metallic.

Thanks for the heads up, however.

Gene K
Okay. I was thinking that the colored face on the stuff I have might be heat treated to make the metal pigment adhere. Mine seems to have two faces, a tissue side and a pigmented side -- not like a dyed tissue. Most silver pigments are finely powdered aluminum. Just wasn't sure about whatever vehicle or adhesive they use gumming up when it went through the heating process in the laser printer.

BTW I just ordered the same Dell 1250c printer. Found it online for $89.95 delivered, and just couldn't say no to that. Goodbye Krylon!
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:44 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdiy View Post
... Dell 1250c printer. Found it online for $89.95 delivered,....
Thanks for that - I just ordered a "spare" since the price covers the ink - the printer is free.

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:00 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Same place. Well no need to worry about silver tissue at all with a spare!

Also, the larger size 1.4k page toners, non-OEM are available for $24 / color here:

http://www.amatteroffax.com/itempage...-331-0779.html

That's double the toner capacity of the ones that come with the printer.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:18 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,072 Posts
Pete's Fuselage - Progress

Since I can't bear to watch Auburn University getting crushed by...Arkansas, I'll post here as a distraction.

Shown below is where I am with Pete's fuselage: added front covers, including fuel filler caps, faired gauge, exhaust tubes, and gun cut outs. I'll have to research what the gauge indicates (airspeed?) and what the tubes exhaust.

I hinged the hatches (using UHU Por) so that Pete can more easily install his radio gear and motor.

Gene K
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:33 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,966 Posts
"Am Not Worthy" As usual excellent.

Thank you Sir

I had some time late yesterday & today to whip up a practice Profile D.VIII. I had the cheesy old PZ Cessna brick & TX I'd taken out of the recent E.III. The LG wing spring as in the recent D.VII works great.

To windy to test fly today but I test glided it under a littel power and she goes great! So now I'll do the wheel covers and add some paint for a Jasta bird.

Thanks again Gene can't wait to get the real deal....

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Oct 06, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:12 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
I had some time late yesterday & today to whip up a practice Profile D.VIII.
Maybe you should be "Speedy" vice mtflyr? Just shows why you are The Mighty Master Mico Maestro..

Gene K
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:47 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Beautiful job Speedy01!!! Just looks great,

Profile job is cool, too, Mtflyer!

#24 Teflon tubing arrived today (.024" unstretched).

I tried it with the .011" single strand stainless fishing leader material I have, and there was some noticeable friction with a small radius bend. Since there would be two of these for ailerons, it seemed a lot to expect of a supermicro servo.

I also tried some twenty-one strand .014" bead wire. This was very easy in the same tube, but seems so flexible I wonder if it will push a control horn without flexing at the ends.

Maybe my wire is more flexible than yours? It's called SoftFlex Fine. It was the only thing available at this diameter.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:17 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdiy View Post
Maybe my wire is more flexible than yours? It's called SoftFlex Fine. It was the only thing available at this diameter.
Pete may be familiar with that bead wire, but I'm not. The stuff Pete recommended is stiff enough - just make the exit point from the Teflon tubing close to where the control horn is. I got mine at the local Hobby Lobby (the craft store). I'm sure Pete will chime in....

Also - consider EZ-Line for rigging .006 charcoal.

Gene K

P.S. Thanks for the compliment.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:28 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
That EZline would be great for rigging.

I might experiment by wicking a little thin CA in the last inch at either end of my control wire. Maybe that will stiffen it up.....
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:55 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,966 Posts
Okay, the best push rod wire I've found so far for the teflon CA tubing is the Beadalon 7 strand, .015" (0.38 mm) Blue in color (if you can find the blue get it)
The picture is of a gold color that comes in a 3 pack it's ok and works but the Blue is the best ( I ran out of it and have not found it again) got mine a Michaels.

I just had the first test flights of the Micro Profile D.VIII 14.5"WS flying in drizzel rain with the cheesy first generation PZ Cessna brick & TX. She flew great after just a little elevator trim. I did get some video but intel may have to up load. I did not have it trimed out as this was the first flight but still given that and conditions she flew pretty darn good esp. after I trimed the elevator on the 2nd flight and for a quick build I'm happy with it.

Now to add a rear wing strut (I forgot those) and some color. Speedy01 sized up the ROFJasta 6 colors for me to print on some tissue for this bird.

Pete
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:19 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Thanks, mtflyr.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:05 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
I did get some video but intel may have to up load.
Who's that?

Gene K
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:46 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,966 Posts
"I am not worthy" You are the master at these things I am but a grasshopper
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:08 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,072 Posts
Pete's Little Fokker Flies

Pete used his nifty glasses-mounted #808 camera to record the maiden of his profile D.VIII. He has since, according to him, trimmed it "even better".

Pete's Profile D.VIII Maiden.mov (0 min 0 sec)

Pete's one prolific modeler! I envy his productivity....

Gene K