HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:57 AM
Joined May 2012
1,067 Posts
Thank you Speedy ... that is a great tip ... and also a great thread!

All of my time has been soaked up by working for a livin'. I am ACHING to try out this building technique but I'm not going to start anything new until I finish my Birddog. Its taking every ounce of determination I have in my body ... and you guys posting threads on these beautiful builds ain't making it any easier.

Fortunately, I'm just a couple coats of paint and the decals away from getting her done.

As they said on the Little Rascals, "Get thee behind me Satan ... and DOAN' PUSH!!!"
TedD60 is offline Find More Posts by TedD60
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:09 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,823 Posts
Finished Cowl

Finished my cowl and also one for Pete - I'll be doing a tissue/Depron kit for him - the mount of Gefr. Kurt Blumener, Jasta 6:

I used Painters Masking Tape, but had a lot of bleed-under that required touch up using Tamiya Masking Tape (that I should have used to begin with).

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:56 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Holly Crap! Gene that looks excellent. I can see they were a ton of work and well thought out to build them and have them look that good...

Well done Sir and my hat is off to you. Love the ID plate very

BTW that GWS prop looks great too.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:52 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
BTW that GWS prop looks great too.
Thanks. That's just the ROF pattern temporarily/hastily stuck onto the GWS. I'll likely use a cut down UM Mustang prop...TBD.

Gene K
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:26 AM
Micro enthusiast
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
729 Posts
Gene,
I cant recall if its you or Pete or in fact both of you that paint the props to make em look like wood. My question is: does the added weight of the paint and magic marker affect the spin of the prop??? Balance wise??

Watching this build, very interested in trying my hand at salvaging a ROF skin for my next project. Just have to re-install the sim first!!

Regards,
Nath
Groovechampion is online now Find More Posts by Groovechampion
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:55 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovechampion View Post
... [who] paints the props to make em look like wood.
That would be Pete daVinci.

Gene K
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:22 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Nath,

I should balance my props but I don't in these micro birds. It doesn't seem to have much of an effect.
I've got to put a new prop on my reworked E-III ( I replaced the Cessna brick and the Vapor motor/gearbox with a Champ brick and 8mm P-51 motor) I'll be using a P-51 cut down prop.

I will paint it weight the difference and will check the balance. But as I said it really does not have much effect at least from the flying I've been doing.

I first lightly sand the prop then brush on flat white acrylic paint, then brush on Testors Model Masters Wood,(too lazy to airbrush) then use a wide Sharpie permanent marker (brown) then I seal with a coat of either yellow or orange clear Tamiya paint.

Pete

Pete
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:15 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,823 Posts
Quote:
I'll be using a P-51 cut down prop.
One of these days I'll try printed tissue on a prop. Plan is to apply it with clear Minwax. Will be interesting to see how the prop performs, but I don't anticipate any adverse effects.

Pete, you may not see much impact from not balancing the props because, I suspect, you don't need full RPM most of the time you fly these slow WWI crates.

I always balance my props, especially if I cut them down. It's a simple, quick procedure and pays dividends in reducing vibration. Easiest way to check on an out of balance prop is to watch for any vibration transmitted to the wheels.

Gene K
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:02 AM
Joined May 2012
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post

Next step is to form and attach a CF leading edge, make a trough to house the aileron "cable" (using Pete's method of bead wire inside Teflon tubing), and finally ... apply the tissue. Hopefully will have the wing done in a couple of days.

Gene K
Can you please tell me where I might find this info/thread about the bead wire aileron setup?
TedD60 is offline Find More Posts by TedD60
Last edited by TedD60; Sep 17, 2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:03 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Odd,
Here's some info I posted on my Micro NP-11
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...port+11&page=3

I used CA teflon tube from my LHS and the push rod is 7strand nylon coated
.015 " bead wire (from craft store).

You can also search Start of Micro Mosquito FB or Possible Micro Nieuport 25 as I did the same in those builds.

Pete
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:09 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Nath,

Here's how I do my props. It's easy and looks ok. As I wrote: lightly sand first, then flat white, wood, marker and seal with clear yellow or orange. That's it.

From my old Speed 400 days (I have lots of old motors) I took two curved magents between two tall cans and a small diameter wire and presto my resonalble micro prop balance tool.

No real weight gain at least not on my scale. Hub and decals to be added later. Test flew the reworked E-III new Champ brick and P-51 motor/gearbox vs the Cessna & Vapor motor/gearbox and now with this new cut down P-51 prop she really flys super. Just a cool plane to watch and fly.

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Sep 17, 2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:58 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,823 Posts
Quote:
[The E.III is] Just a cool plane to watch and fly.
Great to see Paul the Canadian posting some videos of your group flys. Hope he gets some of that beautiful Little Fokker E.III in action.

Nice prop painting tutorial, by the way.

Gene K
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:42 PM
Micro enthusiast
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Great to see Paul the Canadian posting some videos of your group flys. Hope he gets some of that beautiful Little Fokker E.III in action.

Nice prop painting tutorial, by the way.

Gene K
I agree Gene,
Thanks for the tutorial Pete. It will be something I will definitely do when I get around to making a WWI bird.

Nath.
Groovechampion is online now Find More Posts by Groovechampion
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:55 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Guns done except for crash pads, ammo trays and exhausts tubes.

Jackets by Cdr. Jin

Pete
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:20 PM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,137 Posts
Hey Pete my intel guys in the underground were "processing " my videos and they accidentally deleted some of it. (Dumb guys) so I need to go back out to the front lines to get sneak shots of the German's new secret planes, know any times they are flying in your area? I can get the C/O to make some sort of arrangement to meet up with you and we can hunt down the Huns.
NEWBEFLYER is online now Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER