HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:42 PM
Joined Sep 2008
252 Posts
okay first off, using a RoF skin is GENIUS !!!!

it makes me think....duh...why didn't I think of that. I already own almost ALL of them!

Second - thank you a thousand times over for helping all of us understand how you used it and providing the software program info. I just downloaded it and converted an Albatros D.Va file, and lightened it up. wow. awesome!

you've seen my little print-to-foam planes. so you know I'm gonna make alot more WWI planes...
Sooo.....I'm gonna need some pilots

you've made my day.

thank you.
dcwwcp is offline Find More Posts by dcwwcp
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:58 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Hey dcw,

Loved your DR-1 it inspired Speedy01 (Gene) and me to do one and mine looks and flys great thanks to Gene for doing the Voss tissue parts for me.

He's the man on the ROF skins conversions and tissue covering Depron.

He's been working on a RNAS No. 10 Sq. B flight Camel for me. The problem he's been having is lighting up the skins as they look great on/in the game but are too dark and have been difficult to lighten up.

Please post if you're able to do so and how you've been able to do it on your Albatros.

Thanks,

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:59 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwwcp View Post
you've seen my little print-to-foam planes. so you know I'm gonna make alot more WWI planes...
Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, I've seen your little masterpieces, and I'm looking forward to more!

Please let me know if you find a way to lighten up the ROF skins. I have no idea why they're so dark (the way I'm loading them)... will have to ask on the ROF skins forum. We may not be able to remove the dark (alpha?) layer unless we have the original layered skins

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:17 PM
Joined Sep 2008
252 Posts
have you tried simply saving the file as 24 bit bitmap, save it in pictures, then open microsoft office>office tools > picture manager > edit picture > brightness > auto correct.

it's not perfect, but it looks pretty decent.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:58 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwwcp View Post
have you tried simply saving the file as 24 bit bitmap,...
I use Paint Shop Pro and the Topaz plug-in to make adjustments and the results are good after a bit of fiddling. I was looking for a simpler way to get the skins to appear as they do in-play, so I asked on the ROF Skins forum - the response was (more or less) that's just the way it is.

So I'll just do what I'm doing. Next up is a Camel for Pete.

Gene K
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:37 PM
Joined Sep 2008
252 Posts
oh yeah! I love camels.

that looks good. I'm used to manipulating files to get what I want. usually I have to darken cardmodel graphics when I print them to foam.

I think a camel is a great idea. 4 ailerons can be fun!
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:25 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,122 Posts
For Mac users

Gents I have been lurking and watching this thread in admiration.

Started playing around with the RoF skins and found a fairly simple way to use them on a Mac.

There is an excellent program called GraphicConverter that has been around for years and is now at version 8. Very powerful and you can use it for free for 30 days or so.

Here

http://www.lemkesoft.com

Just open a dds file in it, go to
Picture, Alpha Channel, Remove
then
Picture, Auto Levels

Takes all of 2 seconds and seems to work like a charm.

Here's a couple of samples saved as jpg without any further lighting changes (which you have complete control over in GraphicsConverter).

This may be well known but I couldn't find any info on it and it sure works well!

Hope this is helpful to someone.

John
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:43 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
There is an excellent program called GraphicConverter
John,

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately I don't own a Mac, but you confirmed what I had suspected - that the Alpha channel is what causes the dark appearance of the skins. I still haven't figured out how to remove the alpha channel using DXTBmp - that feature may in fact be present in DTXBmp, but I'm not smart enough to find it.

I've installed GIMP and the DDS plug-in, which allowes removal of the alpha channel, but I'm left with the opposite problem of what I started with - image is too light (which takes as much effort to tune up as the dark image).

I need to find the Windows equivalent of GraphicConverter.

Thanks again!

Gene K
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:45 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,122 Posts
Gene, I found if I set the editor in DTXBmp to something smarter than Paint and which allows corrections then Auto Level would clean it up fairly well. Just Send To Editor, then do the corrections.

Not as good a result as the Mac solution though.

Haven't found a way to delete the Alpha channel in DTXBmp. Changing the Alpha channel to pure Whie or Black and importing and replacing it doesn't seem to work which is what I would have thought logical. An Alpha channel is normally an adjustment layer. Someone who really understands how dds files work needs to find a fix - not me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
John,

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately I don't own a Mac, but you confirmed what I had suspected - that the Alpha channel is what causes the dark appearance of the skins. I still haven't figured out how to remove the alpha channel using DXTBmp - that feature may in fact be present in DTXBmp, but I'm not smart enough to find it.

I've installed GIMP and the DDS plug-in, which allowes removal of the alpha channel, but I'm left with the opposite problem of what I started with - image is too light (which takes as much effort to tune up as the dark image).

I need to find the Windows equivalent of GraphicConverter.

Thanks again!

Gene K
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:43 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
...if I set the editor in DTXBmp to something smarter than Paint .....
I use the very capable Paint Shop Pro, but the "One Step" fix is a crapshoot as regards getting the colors of the lozenge, etc right. I have to do it "manually", referring to color samples I know are good.

Quote:
Changing the Alpha channel to pure White or Black and importing and replacing it doesn't seem to work
I concluded the same early on, but also concluded I didn't know what I was doing.

GIMP may have a potential solution - once I get to play with it.

Appreciate your inputs, John!

Gene K
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:09 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
You might try MTPaint. Simpler than Gimp, has alpha tools. Free. I use both, but often prefer mtpaint for something quick.
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:56 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,836 Posts
Easy Skin (DDS) Manipulation with Paint Shop Pro

I finally worked out the fastest and easiest way (for me, a Paint Shop Pro X5 (PSP) user) to get a good graphic from the ROF DDS skins:

Download and install the NVIDIA DDS plug-in from here: http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/inde...S#PaintShopPro. The DDS.Rar file will uncompress the required dds.8bi file.

Then Drag and Drop the desired DDS Skin into PSP and select Adjust/Color/Fade Correction (start with value of 01). That yields a very good image, and it's easy to make further minor tweaks by going to Adjust/Smart Photo Fix.

vtdiy: I didn't have any success with MTPaint opening DDS files, but thanks for the link to an interesting program..

Gene K
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:43 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,836 Posts
Pete's D.VIII Working Features

Here's a video that Pete asked me to put together using some of his footage showing the working features of his Razor:

Pete's D VIII Features (1 min 15 sec)

Pete's The Micro Man!!

Gene K
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:25 PM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,138 Posts
Love the video Gene good job. Pete it looks to me that you have a lot of aileron for the lot of rudder. Could this cause the flight to turn more than it should have you tried to use less rudder to aileron but not so much as to make her roll. Just my view of what you had on the desk there. Just seems to me that there's too much aileron. Have to come over to watch it fly sometime, we can video it and review it from the videoing and see what's happening with it. Other than that she looks really nice good work on both you and Gene.
NEWBEFLYER is offline Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:51 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
WooHoo! Gene well done on the video. Gene also photo shopped in me flying the D.VIII that was from a picture of me flying my FZ Albatros, good job on that though Gene.

Gene's right I've been test flying this bird. I've had at least 10 or more flights. I've not got it dialed in yet! Paul is also right, initially I had way too much on all throws which threw the plane right & left and while trying to correct over did it and ended up each flight with a crash into the grass so no real damage.

I reduced the throws and my next thought is to try just rudder then try just ailerons. I have not yet had a good flight except the first one where I only went straight! Not sure where the problem is.

Thanks again Gene for such a great job on making the tissue covered foam parts and the video posting.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr