HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:58 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
Added thin foam fairings to the LG legs.
Those look the part, Pete! Excellent (again...as usual...).

What size wire are you using? I'll put four appropriately sized tubes into the wing at the strut attachment points to receive the strut wires.

Gene
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:38 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Thanks Gene. I think the LG wire size is .020. It's just the right size and helps add some weight up front. I have .050 CF rods (solid that are the perfect diameter) for the wing struts.

I made the tail skid with 1/32 ply with light sanded plastic CA'ed to it. Painted with wood, clear yellow and silver. Also added some minor details to the LG wing.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:10 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,101 Posts
Struts

Quote:
I think the LG wire size is .020 ... It's just the right size.
Pete,

The LG struts look perfect, and I suggest doing the same for the wing struts (wire instead of CF). What size brass tubing did you use in the fuselage for the gear wire?

Am I going to have to send you a cheap set of digital calipers from Harbor Freight so I can get some "real" measurements?

Gene

P.S. How's the profile flying?
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:15 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,101 Posts
Servo Wires

Pete,

Here's how I propose to route the servo wires to best hide them. Judging from the position of your board, I'll make the wires 5" long.

Gene K
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:00 PM
Paris (France)
Joined Jan 2006
853 Posts
Hi Gene,
I admire your skill and attention to detail. I take my hat off. Your thread is very instructive.
Frank.
indoor_fr is offline Find More Posts by indoor_fr
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:27 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoor_fr View Post
Your thread is very instructive.
Thanks, Frank. Do a search for Pete's (mtflyr) threads, you'll get much, much more, going back a decade. He started me on all this!

Gene K
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:19 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Okay, okay, Gene.... I don't need no stinking micrometer all done by eye

You're going too scale on me....

The brass tube is 1/32 and the wire fits in loose (but with some CA when ready she'll work great for the LG fuselage strut/ legs to anchor into) This brass tube is also better than the larger aluminum tube for wheel sleves. I sand the outside to rough it up before gluing.

The profile flys fine but winds have been too strong here to fly lately hope to fly the HG tomorrow.

The wire should be plenty long enough extra is ok since it's up front weight. Thanks Gene.

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Nov 03, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:56 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,101 Posts
Quote:
You're going too scale on me....
what do you mean? The wing only weighs a pound at this point.

Gene K
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:39 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Okay, you'll need to peel the paper off the foam wing spars regular paper can be pretty heavy. That will help lighten it up. Just an idea before you close it up.

Is it staying flat? One thing I've noticed about full foam wings (using a fold over) is they tend to warp. I don't think you're doing a fold over though.

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Nov 04, 2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:39 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,101 Posts
Quote:
Okay, you'll need to peel the paper off the foam wing spars
Aye, aye, sir! See below.

Gene K
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:59 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,101 Posts
Quote:
Is it staying flat?
The wing isn't flat as it tapers on both top and bottom. I did introduce a little wash out in one wing as the UHU grabbed while I was fitting the left top to the bottom. You'll see when you get it that it's not bad, though.

Gene
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:29 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Looks great! After reviewing your excellent discription of the servo wire routing, I now know why you had 5". I'd just measured from the front spar area down to the front wing strut to the servo.

Looks real clean I guess I'll need to add brass tubing to the fuselage for the wire.

Thanks

Pete
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:38 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,101 Posts
Quote:
I guess I'll need to add brass tubing to the fuselage for the wire.
I added receiver tubes to my fuselage and have second thoughts. It takes quite a bit of figgerin' to do all the bends required to get it all aligned.

I suggest leaving your fuselage top open so you can insert the wires into the fuselage attachment holes, letting the wires establish the position/angle of the receiver tubes.

Make sense?

Gene
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:58 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Yes got it and I agree. That my friend is why I suggested we just each do CF rods. The wire bending is not easy when I do the LG as I only do it by eye and a needle nose I should make a small wire bending jig for this small diameter wire.

Pete
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:50 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,101 Posts
Quote:
... I suggested we just each do CF rods [for the wing struts].
But your wheel struts look so great that round CF wing struts would not be in character with the rest of your "scale" build.

Attached is a picture that shows how to access the servo arm, should you need to do that. The arm is centered at mid wing.

Talk about servos, I'm thinking about doing a more scale pull-pull for the my wing - along the lines of the attached. What do you think?

Gene K

(after thinking over "scale" versus weight-saving on these small builds, I think you're right about my going somewhat "too scale"). Your forthcoming Camel will definitely have simple undercambered wings!