Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:59 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddshot View Post
What did you do for the wing tips
The D.VIII wings taper symmetrically out to the wingtips, so I'll just bevel the edges and join.

Quote:
Did you bake an airfoil into the upper and lower halves?
No, since I have ribs to help shape the airfoil. Also, I used thinner sheeting than my usual, so it was easy to bend to shape using a brass tube.

Quote:
...why are you doing a b/u wing?
First, to hide the aileron servo, but more importantly because the thick wing was a such prominent feature of the D.VIII.

(this image came from here)

Quote:
...please post the weight of the wing when completed
WILCO. In order to save some weight, I used thinner sheeting, and I'm just going to use a thin CF rod on the leading edge to give some ding resistance (rather than strength). I think the weight will be manageable.

I appreciate your questions!

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:13 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Mounted the motor to the firewall but I need to make the LG first before gluing in the fire wall to the fuselage. The test fit is great the fake Oberursel spins without any hang ups so once I get the LG figured out I'll attach the motor and then work on installation of the AR6400.

The firewall motor mount is 2mm Depron backed as usual for me with sanded plastic from a milk carton shaped to match the Depron firewall Gene made. This adds strength and a tad of flex

I don't know what I was thinking on this... I have to cut out a slot in the fire wall for the AR6400 brick as it really helps to have it as far forward as possible... Had to rig a hot razor to cut through the milk carton & Depron firewall. It worked fine.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Last edited by mtflyr; Oct 17, 2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:18 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
This build is going a little slow as Gene and I have not had the time to work it.

I did some work on the LG struts using scaled up plan views. In my case I like to use wire for the struts. I placed a brass tube in the firewall and one in the fuselage for the wire to slide into and be CA'ed in place. Next I'll work on the LG wing Just as on the recent D.VIII profile build I did.

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Oct 25, 2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:19 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
More work done on the LG finished and covered the LG wing with 1mm Depron.
I cut slots in the outside LG wing ribs the center rib has a hole for the wheel axle.

Speedy01 did the wheels and they look great and spin true.

The LG legs will have Depron fairings.

She's starting to look the part had to put a paper mock up wing on to check it out

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Oct 26, 2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:19 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
This build is going a little slow as Gene and I have not had the time to work it.
Yeah - sorry. Life... and grandkids, and soccer, and fishing, and flying, and ....

Nice wire work!

Gene K
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:35 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdiy View Post
Found it online for $89.95 delivered, and just couldn't say no to that.
It's down to $85 now (including shipping) at the same place

Have you had a chance to play with yours? What's your opinion?

Gene K
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:48 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Having fun with mine.... was working on the Nieuport, but couldn't resist trying this one.....
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:44 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Pete,

I love watching the builds you and Gene are doing, they are beautiful!

What do you think your weight savings are using depron over using 1/32" sheet balsa and conventional construction?

Can't wait to see the Fokker in the air.
Fred.
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:05 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Thanks Fred,

Gene (Speedy01) is the master at these tissue coverd birds. He keeps it all going, all I have to do is put it together. I love it, it's fun to do and seeing them fly at least for me is really cool.
I also love reading about the history of those who flew these birds.

I just got off Sandy emergency work duties and spoke to Gene we should be able to get back on this build soon.

I'm not certain of any weight savings. I just like foam better, it's tough, bendable, easy to paint, tissue cover and paint

Thanks again,

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Oct 31, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 05:37 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Attached the push rods, horns and tail feathers to this bird.
Need to do some additional details on the guns. Gene's working on the wing and ailerons.

Pete
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:16 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
Attached the push rods, horns and tail feathers to this bird.
Looks great. What do you think of the full length UHU Por elevator hinge?

I had some time today, so worked up the aileron control (Hobby King 1.7g servo). Operates VERY quietly and is super smooth.

Depron Micro Fokker D.VIII Servo Installation (0 min 0 sec)

Hopefully I can button up tomorrow and apply the tissue this weekend ... between games...meaning I should get it in the mail next week.

Again, sorry for all the delays.

Glad the Sandy storm mainly "spared" your area.

Gene K
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:10 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Wow! looks great Gene... Very cool, I hope you made two wings As you have to finish your build aswell. Thanks Gene very cool. I need to finish a few details on mine and I'll be ready for one of your wings. Oh, the hinge is great. How did you do it?

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Nov 02, 2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:35 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Added thin foam fairings to the LG legs.

Pete
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:08 PM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,137 Posts
WOW! Your work on the wing Gene is just super neat. Nice and compact. Pete your D-VIII is almost ready to maiden tell me when and I'll get the Video camera out to film it. Tonight Jin came over to my place and was great in helping me get the Monocoupe 90A built and ready for painting it.We had a lot of sanding and reworking the various parts and did a few modifications to it. Now I need to do the small detail work of sanding some more and gluing the wings and struts and paint it then put the windows on. She then will get another look over and ready for maiden flight . Thanks to Jin and good beer and a great dinner (made by the one and only master of cooking ME) along with a after pizza we did it. Now When this is finished it's on to the Blanik EDF glider which I will start some time tomorrow evening. Yea building is sweet. Oh I also got the ASK-21 today looks nice ,it's heavier than my Blanik and has a shorter wing but still looks cool.
NEWBEFLYER is online now Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:30 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Those birds look cool. Hey where was my invite?

Pete