SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:14 AM
Australia, VIC, Frankston
Joined Jul 2012
330 Posts
Question
Esc Positive Wires to KK2.0 Board

I may have made a schoolboy error here, after setting up my Quad I connected all the esc's up to the KK2 board and all seemed ok, I programmed the throttle etc and did the receiver test,

Then when I knew everything was in thecorre t order i made all the wiring neater, but since then the KK2 will not come on, now wha ti did was leave all the positive wires from the Turnigy Plush esc's in when I connected everything up and want to know of its possible that I've fried the KK2 board in any way? come to think of it now when it was working the LCD was quite bright (too much voltage maybe) anyway I've since removed all but one positive wire from the esc's apart from the one in the M1 slot.

Any thoughts on this, would having all four red wires connected cause damage?

Edit* Since its ok to have all + wires into the FC i made a quick video of the issue, any ideas on why its not powering up
http://youtu.be/-7ZNtigKajQ
CH33ZEBURG3R is offline Find More Posts by CH33ZEBURG3R
Last edited by CH33ZEBURG3R; Aug 20, 2012 at 04:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:31 AM
Bitten by the RC Bug....
India, Andhra Pradesh, Hyderabad
Joined Aug 2011
789 Posts
I don't think so. I always leave all four positive wires connected to my multiwii board.
It shouldn't be a problem if the BEC is linear one, if the BEC is switching type, you should connect only one red wire.
vineet_p is offline Find More Posts by vineet_p
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:19 AM
Joined Jul 2012
330 Posts
The manual says its a Linear one so I'm not sure what's going on, I'll strip it down and start from the beginning again and see if it works or not I guess. Other than that I'm not sure if I've somehow done something wrong?

Seems strange it was working and now it's not.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:02 AM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
Canada, NB, Moncton
Joined Jun 2011
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH33ZEBURG3R View Post
The manual says its a Linear one so I'm not sure what's going on, I'll strip it down and start from the beginning again and see if it works or not I guess. Other than that I'm not sure if I've somehow done something wrong?

Seems strange it was working and now it's not.
I have dozens of Plush ESCs connected all together on FCs. They have simple linear BECs, no problem.
TS00 is offline Find More Posts by TS00
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:09 AM
Joined Jul 2012
330 Posts
Well iv'e took the Quad apart and tried again with no luck, just getting Beeps from all four motors.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:24 AM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,048 Posts
Try disconnecting everything from the board except for one ESC lead. Make sure that one is correctly oriented and see what happens when you connect power. Better yet would be a straight 5 or 6 volts from a receiver battery pack or a known good stand-alone UBEC. IIRC, center is positive and negative is to the outside edge of the board, but you might want to double check.

If you try this and nothing happens, I'd say the board is bad.

Rick
2400RDR is offline Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:04 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
1,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH33ZEBURG3R View Post
Any thoughts on this, would having all four red wires connected cause damage?
unlikely since only M1 is actually connected to the main board electronics (M2-> M8 are isolated)

Couldn't see the LED flash or hear any bleep (if buzzer plugged in) from your video so not much help.

What voltage is the resistor R1 at (it's just above M1 output) and what voltage is across it ?
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:06 AM
Joined Jul 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR View Post
Try disconnecting everything from the board except for one ESC lead. Make sure that one is correctly oriented and see what happens when you connect power. Better yet would be a straight 5 or 6 volts from a receiver battery pack or a known good stand-alone UBEC. IIRC, center is positive and negative is to the outside edge of the board, but you might want to double check.

If you try this and nothing happens, I'd say the board is bad.

Rick
I tried just the one esc to the board but still got no power, I also tried two just incase, and the only other battery I have at the moment is the standard pack from the Turnigy receiver which holds 8AA batteries.

I don't know what to do really apart from get in touch with Hobbyking and see if I can get a replacement as i only received it last week?

Thanks anyway for the advice.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:41 PM
United States, TX, Denton
Joined Dec 2011
8 Posts
UBEC esc's

Hi, forgive my ignorance...building my first quad with the new kk2 board. I'm totally confused on how to plug in my 4 Hobbywing SkyWalker-40A UBEC ESC's. I've been told i can plug them in safely into kk2 board without removing red/black wires. Some say ubec are same as linear, others say no. Can some one pls confirm what is correct wiring procedure so i don't fry my board? Thanks for your help!!
CrashLord is offline Find More Posts by CrashLord
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:33 AM
Joined Jul 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashLord View Post
Hi, forgive my ignorance...building my first quad with the new kk2 board. I'm totally confused on how to plug in my 4 Hobbywing SkyWalker-40A UBEC ESC's. I've been told i can plug them in safely into kk2 board without removing red/black wires. Some say ubec are same as linear, others say no. Can some one pls confirm what is correct wiring procedure so i don't fry my board? Thanks for your help!!
As far as i'm aware there's no need to remove any wires from esc's when you plug them into the KK2 board, maybe on other boards you do but the KK2 is fine.That's what iv'e read or been told since i made this thread anyway.