HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by owlsabie, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:53 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,850 Posts
This is the fun bit! Most of the hassles are out of the way, and it at last becomes an aeroplane
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:31 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,850 Posts
And thats about all . . .

Well, its just about finished. I've just got to link the top ailerons to the bottom ones, make a cover for the bottom, and mount the undercarraige properly - and then program throws and expo and things

With luck, maiden is imminent

So - wingspan 900mm, weight 587g, wingloading 22g/dm sq cubic loading of 4.2, which is slightly more than a glider and less than a trainer (according to what some folk say, maybe 33g/dm sq. because of turbulence between the wings). The power to weight ratio won't be awesome, but it should fly quite nicely.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:34 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,850 Posts
Some more pics
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:38 AM
It can't rain all the time
United Kingdom, Peacehaven
Joined Mar 2009
431 Posts
Looks nice in the flesh

Hi Al

It's looking good outside all you need is a scale dog and grass te he

looking forward to the test flight

emma
twinkle is offline Find More Posts by twinkle
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:01 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,850 Posts
Thanks Emma! I tried shrinking the dog (it was a great dane), but that was as small as I could get her

Balance seems spot on, the radio is programmed - I just have to charge the battery and link the top ailerons.

Getting nervous now . . . .

Edit - she's finished, including balancing, which I hope is about right. Maiden this week I hope
Last edited by owlsabie; Oct 01, 2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:18 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,850 Posts
Maiden

She flies! This a slow smooth aeroplane to fly - the trim is about right, but could maybe use a little more nose weight. She is also a little overpowered, but thats just fine. I think I'll add a little functional rigging, and then a couple of stickers.

Of course we still need a proper name . . ..

All in all I'm really excited
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:04 PM
free bird
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Aug 2011
169 Posts
Congrats!!!

Well done Al, You woulden't have a copy of the plans would ya?
Mickey D is offline Find More Posts by Mickey D
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:36 PM
It can't rain all the time
United Kingdom, Peacehaven
Joined Mar 2009
431 Posts
dogs body bipe

Hi Al

now you have got that one under your belt Time to built that flat winged Falcon

weather too bad to do anything here anyway I've got another cold

regards emma
twinkle is offline Find More Posts by twinkle
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:37 PM
free bird
Joined Aug 2011
169 Posts
I was just thinking you could make a whole chess theme scheme with chess piece decals and a knight as a pilot I would call it Kingside Castle of Bishops Bipe, and when you are done flying you can play chess on the wing! Haha I like chess.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:31 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey D View Post
I was just thinking you could make a whole chess theme scheme with chess piece decals and a knight as a pilot I would call it Kingside Castle of Bishops Bipe, and when you are done flying you can play chess on the wing! Haha I like chess.
Nice Mike

Thanks Emma - just got to finish the other bipe, and then maybe a falcon . ..

Mike- I don't have plans, but its a really simple structure. If you want I can draw up something on A4's and email them to you?
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:49 PM
free bird
Joined Aug 2011
169 Posts
Thanks Al. don't let me hassel you boet, but only if you get some spare time I would then convert it to cad so even just the dimentions like span, chord, length that sort of thing and I will just copy the shapes from the pictures but otherwise don't go out of your way! oh and thanks for the Southern Cross Fokker plans! it is a real good plan and model but I don't think I have an interest in the build of at this time it reminds me of an exellent set of Piper cub plans way better than that Taylorcraft I never finished. I don't know if you will see it if I mail it to you? because I can't post it here it is copyright.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:47 AM
Is it suppose to do that?
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,184 Posts
Hey Al

Congratulations!!!!

It is a great feeling when you realize "hey I built that." But this is even better. Hey I created that!!

I definitely like the chess motif name for the bipe. How about Her Majesty's Bipe. Or we can market it here in the States - Obama's Bipe. Just some thoughts of course.
moscow580 is offline Find More Posts by moscow580
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:18 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,850 Posts
Thanks Sean! Its such a good feeling when they take off, and you can control them, as opposed to when they take off and respond like crazy headless chickens that have been force fed large amounts of vodka and Red Bull. The other thing I had forgotten is just how much presence bipes have. They look much bigger than they really are.

Anyway - she is now finished

Thanks for all the name suggestions, but I've decided to go with "Zephyr" - (a gentle breeze), as that is how she flies. So - full name Zephyr B7 Special, or Zee Bee for short

Sorry - no flames on this one, I tried to keep it simple, as the colours are shocking enough. I'll get some decent daylight photos soon.

Although she is a gentle flier, I do have all the control surface movements right down - I'll play with them at some stage as she might yet rock and roll a bit

Al
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:52 AM
Is it suppose to do that?
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,184 Posts
Hi Owl

Zee Bee is a great name. .

I really like the emblem and the plane looks great.

Do you think that you can make variations of this design - high wing, low wing and make it interchangeable? That would be totally Awesome.
moscow580 is offline Find More Posts by moscow580
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:28 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,850 Posts
Thanks Sean. Thats an interesting idea. One could easily change the bottom wing to a single piece wing, and run it straight the the fuselage - attach it with screws or bands - that would allow to change between a bipe and a parasol. Then the aileron servos would have to be mounted in the top wing. A low winger would be a problem, unless you had a single cabane strut centrally that could bolt off. Another slight hassle would be that you would have to move the balance forward for a high winger, and back for a low wing - although this could be overcome by giving the battery more space to move forward and aft. There is a way around this - you could have the wings set with no stagger, or perhaps better would be to have the top wing swept back.

Perhaps something with a rear mounted cockpit, a nice deep fuselage, and an upper wing that sits on the fuselage with a bit of sweep, a lower wing that that runs straight with a cut out at the bottom of the fuse. Sort of cross a Gee Bee Racer with a super solution? That could be done