HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by owlsabie, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:32 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,846 Posts
Thanks Sean -thats the spirit! Its got to be fun after all
owlsabie is offline Find More Posts by owlsabie
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:44 AM
Is it suppose to do that?
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,173 Posts
Hi Owl.

I hope not offensive. I really do like the No. 7. I love the tail configuration. I wish I had the ability to design something as well. I guess I will fly them. Don't forget to make some plans and cut sheets.

Sean
moscow580 is offline Find More Posts by moscow580
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:25 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,846 Posts
Hey there Sean - no, not offensive at all! I remember when I was a little guy waching cartoons, and wishing I could make something that flew - and now I can!! The best part of this plane, and the bee is that they have just been pure fun so far. I have even been able to avoid all the building bits that I don't like doing.

With my pilot for the Sportster, I also got one for the bee. But, they are so light, that I may swap pilots with the solution, where the pilot sits further back (that one's pilot is quite heavy).

Found a scrap book place in town - they have all sorts of interesting things that I think will work for modelling . . . .
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:18 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,846 Posts
If it was easy

Well, spent most of the day covering. Some good, some not so good. A couple of problems here. One is that I built the wing out of contest grade balsa, so although the structure is strong, snading and handling ieads to breakages. Which is nortunate when the wing is half covered already . . . .

Anyway, it doesn't look fantastic, but its not to bad

So far I have stretched myself a little with this build, but thats the only way to have fun.

Going to put it together just now . . .. wish me luck?

Al
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:14 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,846 Posts
Enough colour?

She goes together fine, just an alignment problem with the right lower wing. So - I'll just fill the gap with epoxy. At the moment its all drying, then tomorrow I'll do the cockpit area and the top wing. Almost almost there!
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:20 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,846 Posts
I braved the pearl white again - OK on sheeting.

Next - electrics/servos - then u/c and tail wheel

Then . . . .maiden
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:56 PM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,173 Posts
Hi Al:

Almost there and LOOKING GOOD......!!!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:36 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,846 Posts
Thanks Sean - this one hasn't gone as smoothly as I hoped, but I can't wait to try fly it!!!! I think it may actually be quite a sporty little thing. Should also look unusual overhead with mettalic purple under surfaces. A silly thing, I went to trouble to make a curved "bonnet", and then blend the curve with the cockpit section, but one actually can't see it because its sort of hidden by the wing

I am looking forward to using my el-cheapo soldering stand, and will most likely sort out the motor/esc and plugs for the solution at the same time, if I have time.
Last edited by owlsabie; Sep 24, 2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:16 AM
It can't rain all the time
United Kingdom, Peacehaven
Joined Mar 2009
429 Posts
Looking good

Starting to look like a real bipe

try putting a piece of that mutant film on a spare frame with wrinkles and apply an warm iron to the wrinkles they should come out (gently )

regards emma
twinkle is offline Find More Posts by twinkle
Last edited by twinkle; Sep 25, 2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:59 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,846 Posts
Thanks Emma- welcome back. I think the only way to get the film to shrink nicely is with a flame thrower
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:27 AM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,173 Posts
Hi Owl.

I don't see why it should not fly. As long as the tail and wings are aligned correctly and balanced well it should fly. I would only recommend that when you do the CG go a little on the nose heavy side. Bipes are notorious for reacting terribly to being tail heavy. Also you can tip CG it as well. Hold your finger to the nose and the tail and see if the plane tips either left or right then put a small coin under the opposite wingtip. This way you are completely balanced. This advice was given to me by a fellow
Modeler.

Good luck with the maiden.

Sean.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:12 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,846 Posts
Thanks Sean - you know, I actually going to check the side to side balance on all my planes- its something I've seldom done
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:36 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,846 Posts
Soldering all done Now just got hook everything up
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:55 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,846 Posts
woke up early to strong gusty wind - so today became a building day.

All thats left is to put the top wing on later this evening, do the aileron servos and pushrods connectiong them, and the u/c.

Motor on, battery compartment finished, elevator rudder sorted, cockpit area done.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:38 PM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,173 Posts
Hi Owl:

This is it the home stretch.....looking forward to the maiden.