HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by owlsabie, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:34 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,787 Posts
Thanks Mike - Nope, never tried Mylar. Some say it is easy, some people sem to struggle with it?
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:53 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,787 Posts
The control cable outers are routed, with the exits made up.

So now to sand he fuselage and cover it. I think I will put a piece of 1mm sheet over the front of the stab to cover the wrinkles.
Last edited by owlsabie; Sep 09, 2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:43 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,787 Posts
The fuselage is covered. This pearl white is terrible- it is impossible to shrink nicely, so I didn't shrink it. I have no idea what I am going to do about the wings. I could use the other white that I am using on the solution, but then what will I use to finish that one?

To add insult to injury, I somehow put the tail wheel mount on the top of the fuse? so I have had to add a whole piece in front of it to support the stab. This is just not going as planned . . .

Al
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:19 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,787 Posts
cabanes

Tonight I am busy with the cabanes. Never having thought about it, I wasn't quite sure where they should go. It seems to vary anyway from plane to plane So - I hope that most of the stress in the wing will go through the spars, and that they could use some reinforcing anyway - so the cabanes will be just in front of the main spar and rear spar I doubt that stresses will be so high that it really matters anyway For a change, everything is progressing really well! Hope to get the IP struts sorted as well, then tomorrow I can pop in the servos an do the sheeting.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:43 AM
It can't rain all the time
United Kingdom, Peacehaven
Joined Mar 2009
429 Posts
Going well

Well Al

at this rate, you will finish yours and test fly it before I get back from holiday.

my little baby is feeling neglected and waiting for its new battery

struts go about 2/3 span either side and could be made to plug in saving the
wing in case of a cartwheel . only an idea

regards em
twinkle is offline Find More Posts by twinkle
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:29 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,787 Posts
Hey Emma! About 2/3 looks about right to me- thanks

Well - lots of good news. The battery actually fits in the battery compartment, and after tacking the cabanes in place, they slid through their slots in the top wing perfectly. No sanding or anything needed

I'm actually so happy, I might leave the IP struts for tomorrow - and just look at her for a while
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:46 PM
Is it suppose to do that?
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,119 Posts
Hey Owl

Great when things just work. Enjoy and savor the moment.

Sean
moscow580 is offline Find More Posts by moscow580
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:43 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,787 Posts
Just read a relatively simple and very informative article on how on work out the c.g. for a bipe. But I keep getting lost somewhere in there . .. . think I will have to wing it a bit (excuse the pun) and do a sort of best guess type thing. I think as long as I am slightly nose heavy I will be fine. If it works out, at least I will have an idea for when Sean and I have to balance our solutions.

Probably going to lose a little time due to work/social comittments, but I'm hoping to gallop through the last bit of the build next week.

Al
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:56 AM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,119 Posts
Hi Owl:

I was talking with a friend who owns the LHS and he said he always balanced his planes at 1/2 the top wing. I always thought it was 1/3 the wing. I just measured Nieuport plans and the top wing is ~118mm and the balance point is at 45mm. That is greater than 1/3 but less than 1/2.
http://www.rc-airplanes-simplified.c...-airplane.html

Good luck

Sean
I also found this website
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:37 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,787 Posts
Thats a great link Sean - I have saved it! I now have 5 different ways of working it out I guess, at the end of the day it has to be somewhere between where one would balance the wings seperately? Because my stagger isn't great, I think the differences between the methods will be quite small . . . time will tell. But then both of us are good at learning the hard way

Al
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:48 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,787 Posts
IP struts and c.g.

Well - got some little, but important things done. I made the mounting pockets for the IP struts (Sean's idea with the solution), got the servo mountings for the ailerons in, and also made up the sheeting to go on the wing roots and center section of the top wing.

The c.g. - well. using all methods available to me (the ones I understand), comes out somewhere in the middle of the forward and rear cabanes. This is more good luck than good planning, but would seem to be the right place. it would also appear that the balance will be close without having to add nose weight.

In the photos the wings aren't quite straight or flat. This is because there is some tension on the IP mountings, which will be fixed when I do the final finishing on the wings.

Unusually for me, I haven't messed around with the u/c yet. That is so I can build everything flat on a table to get the wings all level and aligned- but it will come soon.

This has taken a bit longer that I expected, But once the wings are covered I will be back to more enjoyable bits- as in the cockpit/nose and then u/c
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:03 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,787 Posts
wings

Sheeting applied, and now drying. Next, cover the wings, install the servos permanently, mount the lower wings, do the inside of the plane permanently, cockpit, and then final assembly.

The top sheting is quick, because I use ca - but the bottom I use white glue, and so that will have to wait overnight. I also re glued, and then epoxied the cabanes.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:02 PM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,119 Posts
Hi Owl:

Looks like it is coming along nicely. Thanks for the photo next to the Solution, I know you have not forgotten the Solution.

I am very interested to see how you finish off the covering to match the fuselage. Since you have the smoke stacks for the motor maybe a 1950s racer, with racing stripes on the wings.....just a thought...

Check out my page got a FW 190 video for you.

Sean
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:43 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,787 Posts
Great video Sean. The wing is most likely going to be checks - if I have enough left. There is no way I am going to use this white on the wings Probably 6 exhausts down one side, and six intakes the other. Another racing plane - now that is rather tempting . . .

Just a dry assembly tonight, u/c borrowed from a long crashed plane. I think it is a little high, but kind of like it?

I think I'll give building a break, tomorrow I must decide what I am flying the weekend, and maybe I can squeeze a quick flight in.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:50 PM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,119 Posts
Hi Owl.

The plane looks great. I think the u/c is perfect for it. I always think the design is very playful and reminds me of Dick Dasteredly and Muttley. I used to love their airplanes. I copied a photo below.