HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:53 AM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,334 Posts
For me, more important would be selecting a finish which will hinder the seasonal change of moisture content within the wood and make it easy to clean up glue spills while preventing accidental bonding to model parts without contaminating model surfaces.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:56 AM
Florida
Joined Dec 2001
354 Posts
Well, I've yet to get any glue on my fixtures so I don't worry about that too much. If you want durability then polyurethane is probably the way to go. Then wax the fixtures with a good furniture paste wax.
CafeenMan is offline Find More Posts by CafeenMan
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:08 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,247 Posts
Points well taken - thanks.

Staining is an art unto itself. A particular stain will penetrate different wood, well, differently, and deliver different results. A particular stain can show more say red in one wood than another. Two different stain on two different words can come out looking very close to one another.

When I laid-out my cutting schedule of the fixtures, I challenged myself to leave as little waste as possible. The result was that I ended-up with several 1/4" to 3/8" 10"-15" strips. I pulled out several stains I have on-hand in my shop and tested them on the scrap strips. I've decided on Minwax's Puritan Pine for the fixtures. It really penetrated well, and it brings-out the grain of the birch. And, being that I'll be banding the building board's edges with oak, I like the match.

Why all this staining and fancy finishing? Maybe it will hide the infractions of my model building!

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:12 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,247 Posts
Bought a length of hard maple to mill the fixtures presses and a few other things.

The fun part of this project is that I am using my acquired woodworking skills into the R/C flying hobby.

I started with a 5' long by 6+" wide X 4/4 (just over 3/4") length of hard maple. The board was cut in half length-wise to two 24+" boards. Each board was fed through my jointer to establish a clean, square edge. Oversize strips were milled using my bandsaw to minimize kerf waste. If I had milled the boards using my table saw, each cut would have consumed a 3/16" kerf as opposed to the 1/32" kerf of the bandsaw. In other words, the table saw -vs- the bandsaw: the table saw creating a 5:1 loss ratio over the bandsaw. The sequence was:

- squaring the board through the jointer/planer
- cutting the (oversized) width through the bandsaw
- squaring the board through the jointer/planer
- repeat...

Of course, I lose a bit of the board when it is re-squared each time after it is fed through the bandsaw.

Now I have to break-out the planer and bring these strips to specification.

EJWash
Last edited by EJWash1; Oct 08, 2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:59 AM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,334 Posts
That is some really hard material.

I also work back and forth between the table saw and band saw. This often helps to minimize warpage.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:08 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
That is some really hard material.
Yeah it is. Feed into the bandsaw was s l o w. Results are good though. Minimum waste was the goal.

EJWash
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:50 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,247 Posts
Hard maple milled to spec.

Finished the fixture presses feet. Ended-up with 47 of them. No chance of all of them being in use as one time, but now I have enough extras to last a VERY long time.

EJWash
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:29 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Nov 2008
196 Posts
I bought a kit from him, love them, the last model i built has to be the straightest model i hav ever built thanks to his system. very happy with my purchase.
mikempp is offline Find More Posts by mikempp
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:06 AM
Florida
Joined Dec 2001
354 Posts
Very nice, EJ. I love working with hard maple. If you have saws that can cut it properly then you get the smoothest wood and it is very hard. It finishes beautifully. I definitely prefer closed-grain woods. That's why my stuff is maple and cherry and never oak or other open grain woods. Just don't like them.

Mike - Thank you for the kudos. I really appreciate it! What did you build?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:47 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,247 Posts
CafeenMan,

Thanks.

I like working with hard maple too. It comes out of the planer so nice. Just a couple of passes with the sander and you're done. Tough as steel too!

EJWash
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:48 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikempp View Post
I bought a kit from him, love them, the last model i built has to be the straightest model i hav ever built thanks to his system. very happy with my purchase.
Mike,

How about posting some pics of your System in action?

EJWash
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:21 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,247 Posts
Milled the bridge press blocks. Ended-up with 24 of them. Probably will never use that many at one time, but here they are...

EJWash
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:54 AM
Florida
Joined Dec 2001
354 Posts
Don't feel bad. I have about 50 - all cherry or hard maple with clamp pads to go with them. I also made rotating clamp pads and press bolt adapters.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:11 PM
United States, NJ, Carteret
Joined Apr 2011
12 Posts
Ejwash1 I was wondering do you have a sketch of the jig you made for drilling the holes on the fixtures? I was wondering what are the distance between the holes. I just bought a drill press and will like to put it to good use.
Thanks
Jerseydog is offline Find More Posts by Jerseydog
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:08 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,247 Posts
Jerseydog,

No sketches of the jig, but I spaced the press holes 1" on-center.

EJWash