HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:05 AM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,316 Posts
Lovely work. A shame to cover it up.

This is something you'll put to good use on every build.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:59 AM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
Thanks.

I'm not going to be sad when I apply the top and bottom sheets. When toeing-in the the spacers, some of the 16-gauge nails would not go where I wanted them to. Had one even make a U-turn! Some of the spacers look like a mad-man went to town with a nail gun!

In one of your posts you wrote that a true craftsman can cover his mistakes. This applies here!

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:23 AM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1 View Post
...some of the 16-gauge nails would not go where I wanted them to. Had one even make a U-turn!...
Yeah, I've had them make U-turns just to avoid some hard wood grain. Gotta really watch where your fingers are.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:42 AM
Florida
Joined Dec 2001
352 Posts
I really need to make a torsion box. Actually two of them would be nice. All I need to do first is become independently wealthy, build my 5,000 square foot dream shop and have about a half dozen wives. Give me a couple weeks. I have a few things to do first.

Looks very nice, EJ. A good bench is worth every bit of work you put into it.
CafeenMan is offline Find More Posts by CafeenMan
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:09 AM
Florida
Joined Dec 2001
352 Posts
I finally finished my storage unit. Don't know if it's a "rack" or "shelves". Whatever.

I started with an oak board I paid way too much for from Lowes because I was on vacation from my real job, only had a couple days left and didn't want to wait for it to be shipped. In the end the shelves cost about $30 each and could probably be half that cost still using real wood.

I used my table saw to cut the slots for the metal tracks. I wanted to use 1/8" x 1/4" but they didn't have any so I bought the 1/8" by 1/2" they did have. It was horrible quality and I ended up using it until some that I ordered from McMaster-Carr arrived.

The stuff from Lowes was curved when it was sheared. But it had nice rounded edges. I bought the same stuff from McMaster-Carr but it was flat and much nicer metal. Also cost less.

The aluminum tube is about the same thickness, weight and hardness of that used for R/C helis. I wanted to use a clamping system instead of a set screw but the length of the wood didn't give me enough room at the end to go that route. Again, it was because the wood was 6' long and I would have had to lost one fixture per shelf.

As is it holds (12) 4-magnet fixtures or (9) 6-magnet fixtures assuming no accessories are attached that require the fixtures to be spread farther apart.

Another mistake I made was routing the shelves for the aluminum angle. I didn't measure the angle and ended up having to put the aluminum through my table saw to make it narrower.

Basically the top shelf mounts to the wall and all others hang from it. I set it up so I can mount the bottom shelf as well so the whole thing doesn't pull away from the wall when I'm taking fixtures from it.

It's really a weekend+ project if you have all your measurements and supplies instead of making it up as you go along.

The set screws suck. They have a very shallow hex molded in to receive an Allen wrench. They can't be tightened enough before the wrench slips. I thought of using thumb screws but didn't want them snagging my clothes every time I walked by.

Again, a clamp end by sawing a slot from the end into the hole for the tube then using a carriage bolt or whatever would be a better solution. Obviously it needs a bit more development.

But it's very low profile. It only sticks out from the wall 2". I have to un-mount some things where I plan to mount it.

The idea here is that I got tired of whacking into fixtures sticking straight out from the wall every time I walked by. My shop is very narrow as you can see in some of the photos - 10' x 30'. I have a jointer next to my bed because it won't fit in the shop.

Oh, forgot to mention. The rails are held in place with steel pins that are inserted in the back and go through both rails. I've never had good luck gluing metal using anything no matter how clean it was or how much I roughed it up. But I did glue the pins with polyurethane glue that foamed into the rails. They're never coming out again.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:11 AM
Florida
Joined Dec 2001
352 Posts
This is a little storage unit on wheels I bought from a local JoAnn's Fabric when it was on double sale. Normally it's way over-priced around $90 or so. I think I paid about $45.00 for it. Holds lots of stuff but wish it had one more of the compartmented drawers in exchange for one of the ones that isn't.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:21 AM
Florida
Joined Dec 2001
352 Posts
Forgot to mention about the shelves. You can see I drilled counter-sunk holes through them. That way they can bench mount as well which keeps them handy but off your building board. But I don't see me ever using them that way. Mounted on the wall is better. I need my bench space and I really don't like drilling holes in my bench for any reason.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:24 AM
Florida
Joined Dec 2001
352 Posts
Oh sorry. One more thing. What I'm telling you, EJ, is that you're not even close to being done. I think my mission is to torment you by ensuring you never actually get to build a model airplane ever again.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:36 AM
What's goin' wrong?!
Joined Feb 2005
111 Posts
Gluing top and bottom to grid

EJWash and others

When I made my torsion box bench, I made the grid with a 3/4" hole in each web, and ONE hole through the outside wall of the grid. With the top, and the grid, and the bottom all ready to glue, spread an ample layer of glue on all the edges, line everything up, and set it together. Then I used a shop vacuum to evacuate the internal volume. I had the vacuum hose at an angle to the surface (on the outer hole) to create a bit of a leak so the shop vacuum was not screaming for mercy, but still pulling a little vacuum. I used original TiteBond, and I left the vacuum pulling for 45 minutes, and left the whole assembly undisturbed for the rest of the day

This procedure is analogous to vacuum bagging, but without the bag. I also used some weights, but the major 'clamping' force was provided by the atmosphere.

Eric
ege53 is offline Find More Posts by ege53
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:39 AM
USA, PA, Westmoreland Co.
Joined Aug 2008
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
In the video, I notice he doesn't use a radial arm saw (which I find much faster), but rather the table saw, for making all those many crosscuts. A small criticism is his choice of finish for the top--wax--which can contaminate work which will subsequently receive a fine finish or be glued. Also I noticed he didn't bother to apply heavy pressure with the tip of the nailer to ensure contact between the pieces being nailed, something I always do. And he didn't use cauls to evenly spread the clamping pressure when gluing the mahogany frame veneers, nor even pads to keep those decorative pieces from being marred by the clamps.
On the old DIY shows David Marks would lay out a sheet of craft paper from a roll he had mounted on the end of the table for finishing. So how will that allow the microcrystalline wax to affect a glue up, especially when you're usually not laying the face to be glued on the work top?
Maybe DIY should have picked you to do the shows?

Something I did different from EJ Walsh here was laying the two sheets of MDF on top each other, then glueing the webs onto the top sheet and nailing in - no plastic. That seems to create an extra step maybe. You still have to flip it over for the second side. This table seems smaller than mine, but be careful, it will still be heavy. My toes found that out the hard way trying to flip it over by myself.
It will be plenty strong following David Marks process.
jonquinn is offline Find More Posts by jonquinn
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:49 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
Yeah, I've had them make U-turns just to avoid some hard wood grain. Gotta really watch where your fingers are.
Right!!! Gotta love those safety glasses too!

EJWash
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:55 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeenMan View Post
I really need to make a torsion box. Actually two of them would be nice. All I need to do first is become independently wealthy, build my 5,000 square foot dream shop and have about a half dozen wives. Give me a couple weeks. I have a few things to do first.

Looks very nice, EJ. A good bench is worth every bit of work you put into it.
HA!

Building the torsion box pretty easy. The only part that was tedious (in my own mind) was setting-up and leveling the 2 X 4 and 4 X 4 platform.

EJWash
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:56 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ege53 View Post
This procedure is analogous to vacuum bagging, but without the bag. I also used some weights, but the major 'clamping' force was provided by the atmosphere.
Great suggestion, but I've already attached the top and bottom.

EJWash
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:01 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonquinn View Post
This table seems smaller than mine, but be careful, it will still be heavy. My toes found that out the hard way trying to flip it over by myself.
My table is 76" X 36".

MDF is heavy stuff! I'll be using the torsion box on top of my woodworking bench due to limited floor space. I dread having to move it on and off the woodworking bench...

EJWash
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:09 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeenMan View Post
Oh sorry. One more thing. What I'm telling you, EJ, is that you're not even close to being done. I think my mission is to torment you by ensuring you never actually get to build a model airplane ever again.
HA! I can see kight at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully its NOT a train!

At this point I'm pretty sure I have enough of a System to build a model. The first "victim" will be a 1/6-scale Dave Platt (not Pica) Waco YMF-3 kit. As I build, I'll be keeping in mind what additional fixtures I need to make building life easier.

Your storage unit is nice! I've been wrestling with the storage question, and you may have just solved it. Thanks!

EJWash