Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:46 AM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,234 Posts
D-FAST,

I'm honored that you've dropped in. But what's up with your post above??? Wrong thread maybe?

Ksqm
ksqm is online now Find More Posts by ksqm
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:02 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,058 Posts
I found the topic and read through the post, it was mentioned Beacons 3-n-1 ate at the blue foams and FFF. So i commented my experiences with it,way late i know but none the less.

Looking at several mini's and this one intriged me.

Looking forward to more. subbed
D_FAST is offline Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:07 AM
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Sep 2006
357 Posts
Hey ksqm, quick OT question. How did you scale down the plans? I just tried to scale down some tiled pdf plans to 75% but my wingspan remained the same when I put them together. Your plane looks great! I love the F-20
Sherlock is online now Find More Posts by Sherlock
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:16 AM
Joined Apr 2012
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
Hey ksqm, quick OT question. How did you scale down the plans? I just tried to scale down some tiled pdf plans to 75% but my wingspan remained the same when I put them together. Your plane looks great! I love the F-20
reduce the print size
minimicrorc is offline Find More Posts by minimicrorc
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:17 AM
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Sep 2006
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimicrorc View Post
reduce the print size
Is that on the print menu or the pdf menu? I "zoomed" 75% and it printed out the same. I don't see a size menu anywhere else.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:17 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,234 Posts
Sorry Gents,

On Vaca right now. I use Scale and Tile to resize any plans. You can search for
it on RCGs.

Ksqm
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:57 PM
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Sep 2006
357 Posts
Thanks
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:16 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksqm View Post
Sorry Gents,

On Vaca right now...................

Ksqm
Well you better enjoy that vacation, you hear! We will be here when you are ready, so have tons of fun!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:25 PM
Joined Apr 2012
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
Is that on the print menu or the pdf menu? I "zoomed" 75% and it printed out the same. I don't see a size menu anywhere else.
shrink it on the print menu, pdf is jut for viewing
minimicrorc is offline Find More Posts by minimicrorc
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:15 PM
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Sep 2006
357 Posts
Had to do it on properties. Thanks
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:48 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,234 Posts
Okay Gents,

I guess you could say I've been on a sabbatical for a bit. So I was looking for a way of making micro inlet ducts. Well, I think I've found a couple of techniques, that should make things easier and cost effective. Check this out. Now PVA is generally used to assist in releasing your ducts, from your mold. But you can't get a pint of PVA CHEAP. I'm now using HAIRSPRAY. It works, when used with packing tape. That's right. Here it is in use. So, armed with my new found knowledge, I gave it a try. Some how I screwed this attempt up. I'll be doing another. Pics show the results. But make no mistake, for those used to FGing. If you don't have any PVA, hairspray over packing tape is the way to go. Once I split the duct, it came right off. More to come...

Ksqm
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:36 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Happy to see you back at it. Interesting and I always love cheap, errrr frugal use of cost effective building materials.

Those ducts look almost see through, very cool. And I agree you probably will not get a single layer to be strong enough. I am no glass expert but it seems two or more layers always make a stronger part, probably because the weave cover each other in a crossing fashion or something.

My pile of unfinished builds from 2012 looks similar to yours. My head is hung in shame......... Oh well, I'm feeling a bit burned out so I now have my sabbatical under way also. Now I can watch you build and take it easy for awhile (I Hope). I needed a break to re-align my prioity I guess.

Keep up the good work, coming along! Thank you again ksqm.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:42 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,614 Posts
what are you using for cloth for the ducts? i would use one layer of 3.6 oz. plain weave ,cut it out on a 45 degree from the edge of cloth .one full wrap one piece with a 3/8" to 1/2" overlap .3/4 oz. cloth is just too light and may get sucked in.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:39 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,234 Posts
I'm a complete novice at FG. But I'm learning.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:22 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,234 Posts
Okay, it's a slow build day, so here's a little some'em to chew on. Finally got the ducts made to my satisfaction. That is they're not perfect or up to Air Sally's specs , but they'll do for this novice. Need to get this build moving.

The down and dirty. The method I described above works great. I followed Air Sally's advice and went with heavier FG (2 oz). As the pic show's, the pair came out at 6g. I'm happy. I also followed Hover Or Die's lead and hogged out the foam. I did both ends to about the depth of my tweezers and created a cavity with a bamboo skewer. Then I used the skewer to seperate the tape from the FB all around. After that, it was a matter of just pulling out the tape. I did learn that it's easier, to keep the skewer between the tape and FB, when pulling out the tape. The rest is in the pics. I will test before installing them to ensure they hold up and don't collapse. I can use scrap .75 oz and CA to shore them up if needed. More to come.

Ksqm