HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:41 PM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbif View Post
My new tricopter. I'm calling this one my "scout" tricopter. It's about 75% size of the rcexplorer tricopter, and non-folding.

Go-Pro display stand mount dampened with CD-Drive dampners
$1 WallyWorld Travel Soap Container for electronics
My boiled pvc landing gear design
Bright orange paint and discovery beeper for locating if crashed
I like the "soap box" electronics enclosure. What flight controller fits in there?
2400RDR is offline Find More Posts by 2400RDR
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:48 PM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR View Post
I like the "soap box" electronics enclosure. What flight controller fits in there?
most will work with the exception of the paris board and those that are round like the paris board.
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:08 AM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
most will work with the exception of the paris board and those that are round like the paris board.
yep, it will fit a standard 2x2" board and an frsky receiver diagonally.
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:14 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2008
612 Posts
HQuad Foldable With DIY GoPro Cage Mount

This is my fourth attempt at this form factor and each one tried to correct the mistakes of the last one. I'll post video when I can hike in to some place interesting but just flying around the yard - definitely no jello at medium setting of GoPro2 and almost zen like in AV calm conditions - best I've ever gotten off a static mount! The mount obviously copies the concept of another well known but expensive (and brilliant) mount. I just put the GoPro inside. It DID take 3 different wire sizes and 2 different compositions to get all the vibes out of the AV. This was quite a bit more work than I thought it was going to be but well worth it. The whole thing as shown weighs about 1.7kg and hovers for about 8 minutes at half throttle. FCB is Hoverfly Pro.

GOPR0166 (0 min 44 sec)
Earl E Adobtr is offline Find More Posts by Earl E Adobtr
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Earl E Adobtr; Oct 14, 2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:43 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl E Adobtr View Post
This is my fourth attempt at this form factor and each one tried to correct the mistakes of the last one. I'll post video when I can hike in to some place interesting but just flying around the yard - definitely no jello at medium setting of GoPro2 and almost zen like in AV calm conditions - best I've ever gotten off a static mount! The mount obviously copies the concept of another well known but expensive (and brilliant) mount. I just put the GoPro inside. It DID take 3 different wire sizes and 2 different compositions to get all the vibes out of the AV. This was quite a bit more work than I thought it was going to be but well worth it. The whole thing as shown weighs about 1.7kg and hovers for about 8 minutes at half throttle. FCB is Hoverfly Pro.
Do you mind if I copy your design?
FlyingMcCoy is offline Find More Posts by FlyingMcCoy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Indoor 3d
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:59 AM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2008
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMcCoy View Post
Do you mind if I copy your design?
Go for it. I'm sure you'll find ways to improve it. I found that 17" works, motor to motor, with 10" props. Any larger and it won't fit in the pack. Any smaller and you need to go to 8" props and she will no longer carry the camera. Good luck!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Current Folding Quad Project
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:44 AM
FPV Enthusiast
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,871 Posts
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348136885.600821.jpg
Views: 739
Size: 71.2 KB
Description:

This is my second wooden frame, an FPV spider quad inspired by the Hoverthings HT-FPV with a rubber isolated third deck inspired by the QAV 500. I really admire these two commercial designs and greatly respect the men behind them. It's still a work in progress as it was lost in weeds for a month this summer and underwent a large number of changes as part of the rebuild (no damage in the crash, but added lots of new stuff).

The frame is all wood with plywood decks and 1/2" poplar arms. It is reluctantly painted bright (and heavy) yellow to aid in recovery.

It's 570mm motor to motor shaft measured lengthwise, 730mm diagonally. It's a heavy bird now, likely more than 1.6kg TOW with 3S 4000mAh lipo. It uses GWS 3-blade 10x4.5 props, Sunnysky 2212-13 980kv motors and Simonk flashed RC Timer 30A ESCs. I get about 10 minutes of flight on a 3S 4000mAH lipo using 80% of the capacity.

It has a Naze32 v4 flight controller running baseflight, EagleTree v3 Logger and OSD Pro, ET v4 GPS shared between the OSD and FC, and RangeLink UHF rx. The video system includes a GoPro HD and Sony 600tvl pilot camera, an LC line filter, Immersion 600mW 5.8 vTx and Bluebeam cloverleaf antenna.

I'm still adjusting the parameters and am not yet satisfied with the way it`s. It`s really heavy and so isn`t snappy, but I want more smoothness. I`m also working on configuring the GPS with the Naze32 for position hold and RTH for emergency situations.

My other (first) FPV multi is an RC Explorer based tricopter. In my opionion, it flies much better than the quad, but that`s not a final verdict yet as there is lots of tuning left to try. It`s lighter, smoother and more natural feeling. Before I flew FPV multicopters, I flew R/C helicopters (for about 9 years). I've been building and flying FPV multicopters for about 2 years now.
martinic is offline Find More Posts by martinic
Last edited by martinic; Sep 20, 2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:54 PM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Jan 2011
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl E Adobtr View Post
Nice build...great thread!

Can you explain better the swing arm system?
FlyingRodent is offline Find More Posts by FlyingRodent
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:56 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2008
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingRodent View Post
Nice build...great thread!

Can you explain better the swing arm system?
Thanks, the delrin blocks have 2 fastener points located at diagonals. The outer fastener is the pivot. The inner is the removable "pin" which threads into upper block (wingnut attached to 4-40 machine screw - wing nut covered with rubber also acts as landing contact point - it can be seen as black "blob" under the block). The blocks were done with a chop miter saw and drill press. Access to a milling machine would improve the squareness and hole acuracy. The folding concept along with the "flatness" of the model allows it to be taken along in daypacks or hung outside a backpack.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Earl E Adobtr; Sep 20, 2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:27 AM
Joined Aug 2012
18 Posts
Flame to TBS

Wel I just though I could just add four plates to convert my DJI Flame wheel to a TBS style FPV frame.
elaz is offline Find More Posts by elaz
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:25 AM
The Engineer
Singapore
Joined Dec 2009
620 Posts
Finished the frame just. Working on the electrical now..

Frame with motor and cable weigh 577gm.
prodriverex is offline Find More Posts by prodriverex
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gimball Drone
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Sep 2012
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodriverex View Post
Finished the frame just. Working on the electrical now..

Frame with motor and cable weigh 577gm.
Niiiiice. Looks great. I love the motor mounts.
NtiT is offline Find More Posts by NtiT
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:18 AM
Flying Foamies
Philippines, NCR, Makati City
Joined Jun 2012
852 Posts
Slightly imbalance setup . FC Eagle N6
Imbalance Quadrotor doing its thing (0 min 20 sec)

3pcs 30 A esc 850kv motor on 9x4
1pcs 50A esc 950kv motor on 8x4

test flight of Quadcopter with external power
range is only as good as the length and weight of the cable it will look better if it were a NAZA but I use the EagleN6

Quadcopter with external power (0 min 38 sec)

always funny till someone yank out the power cord
speedactyl is online now Find More Posts by speedactyl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Philippnes Materials Available
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:35 AM
United States, SC, Ridge Spring
Joined May 2012
110 Posts
Here's my wood frame quad. Looks kinda clunky, but it flies well, and transmits far less vibration from the motors to the center of the frame than my glass fiber hex. The controller is a Crius AIOP with GPS module wired to the board.

Boykintom is offline Find More Posts by Boykintom
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:24 AM
Joined Sep 2012
12 Posts
My first X quadcopter in the making! Keep up with my project at:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1730793
CraZiaN is offline Find More Posts by CraZiaN