SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:17 PM
Canada, ON, Alliston
Joined Sep 2009
178 Posts
Here's mine, small quad

wood frame, use a fat marker to stain all the wood black (don't like plain wood colour). flies great, very stable and doesn't need much room to fly around.

specs:

12.5" motor to motor, AUW 596g (1000mah 3s).
props 8x3/8
motors 1100kv
hobby king 8/10A SS esc's
quadrino basic board.
rernewe is offline Find More Posts by rernewe
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:15 PM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmus View Post
Hi, was told I should post here.
My intro thread is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1722381
Maxmus-

Your tri looks like it flies really well- good job.

I'm a little worried about your press-on props (or at least they look like they just press on). You lose a prop while you're flying and it's arga-warga for the tri, especially at the altitudes you fly.

You should probably consider prop adapters, or it looks like maybe you have room to use a wheel collar on that motor shaft. Anything to secure those props.

Rick
2400RDR is online now Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined Aug 2012
79 Posts
Hi. Since those photos the gws props were having problems. Ie: flying apart.

I've been using hk 8x4 cw ccw props with prop adaptors.
maxmus is offline Find More Posts by maxmus
Old Sep 01, 2012, 06:16 PM
A J
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
How much does it weigh?
A J is offline Find More Posts by A J
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Aug 2012
79 Posts
Auw is about 28-30oz.
maxmus is offline Find More Posts by maxmus
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:15 PM
Belgium, Vlaams Gewest, Maarkedal
Joined Sep 2012
7 Posts
My X-Copter with DIY Alu Frame:

X-COPTER One @ MC-Ronse (8 min 22 sec)

X-Copter Test Flight One. (4 min 18 sec)

MrKim is offline Find More Posts by MrKim
Last edited by MrKim; Sep 08, 2012 at 04:57 AM.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 11:36 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2011
92 Posts
You might want to put some protection over the board. When you make an unintended reversed landing your board will be wiped out, its the first thing that hits the ground.
Sonicg is offline Find More Posts by Sonicg
Old Sep 02, 2012, 10:03 AM
United States, WI, Mukwonago
Joined Aug 2012
92 Posts
First Quad

This is my first quad. Nothing hand made, but built from parts purchased seperate if that counts.

Naza M GPS
Turnigy Talon V2
Turnigy Plush 30a
Turnigy 1450KV
Mad Dog 2200 35c x2
Quadframe 155mm landing legs
Quadframe 2 axis gimbal
GOPRO Hero2
Spektrum DX7S
Spektrum AR6210

Very stable even in high winds, great features on the FC
soulpatchfilms is offline Find More Posts by soulpatchfilms
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:50 PM
Belgium, Vlaams Gewest, Maarkedal
Joined Sep 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicg View Post
You might want to put some protection over the board. When you make an unintended reversed landing your board will be wiped out, its the first thing that hits the ground.
I did some cover of an old plastic box
MrKim is offline Find More Posts by MrKim
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:51 AM
Licensed Lunatic
United States, FL, Lake City
Joined Mar 2012
254 Posts
X525 center plate and landing gear
1/2" wood arms and landing legs
Turnigy 3536 1000kv motors
10" Gemfan props
FlyHyper 30a ESCs (same exact thing as HK F-30a's) flashed with SimonK firmware
KK2.0 board
Chinese take-out electronics canopy
custom built/soldered power distribution "squid"
powered by 3s 4000mah lipos

AUW is 1500g on the nose with a battery and no video payload, and estimated thrust is 4400g; lifts off the ground with under half throttle

Just finished putting it together. Going to take it out tomorrow (weather permitting) and get the gains set in!

iamsuperbleeder is offline Find More Posts by iamsuperbleeder
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:37 AM
RC Mad
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Jun 2003
130 Posts
This is mine...

FC : KK Plus
Motor : 2212-1200kv
ESC : HW 10A
Prop : GEMFAN 9x4.5

Regards
_shadow_ is offline Find More Posts by _shadow_
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:03 AM
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Mar 2012
277 Posts
My First Quad

I had a Turnigy Integrated Micro Quad which once broke and then it was unfixable as the broken parts continued to break again as soon as the quad touched something. No amount of glue or CF rods helped.

So I wanted to have a new one, which is about the same size (maybe a bit larger).

Here the as-complete-as-possible shopping list for my small quad (which turns out to be larger than expected):

How to build the frame

Cut the 6mm CF tube into half and cut one into half again. Ideally split it into 3 pieces so that the 2 short pieces are the same length and together they are 6mm (the diameter of the tube) shorter than the long tube. What works well to cut them is a Dremel.

Cut balsa wood into squares: 75x75mm (for top and bottom) and 70x70mm. Cut the smaller ones diagonally and glue 2 identical triangles together. Check that the wood fibres are alternating left-right and forward-back like plywood does.

Put the carbon tubes in diagonally and glue them all with epoxy. What you should have now is a square piece of wood with 6 carbon tubes sticking out its diagonals. It’s right and rigid enough for a small quad.

Assembling everything

I have everything in this order from bottom to top:
  1. Below main base frame: battery straps attached with screws, and rubber foam. Simple battery holder.
  2. On main base frame in the corners: ESCs attached with zip ties (drilled holes left and right the ESCs and pulled zip ties through them)
  3. Drilled a hole along the sides of the base frame M3 screws inserted from the bottom. Fix with washer (large as balsa is soft) and spring washers, and on the top side washer, spring washer and nut. Then some space left (as I used long M3 screws), hex nut, spring washer, power distribution board. Then nylon threaded M3 spacers.
  4. A GF plate with 45x45mm holes. I could have used anything, but I had this handy.
  5. On this GF plate I put one of those sticky things. It’s very sticky, and supposed to absorb vibrations (usually earthquake like vibrations though). I figured it’s worth a try to solve 2 problems: attach the Naze32 FC to the frame and isolate it as much as possible from motor/prob vibrations.
  6. In a corner of the CF plate I put some sticky velcro. The counterpart on the receiver.
  7. The some nylon spacers, and a GF protection ring

After setting up the Naze32 flight controller with the latest baseflight software (r202), everything worked out of the box. Later I changed looptime to 2000uS for for general interest on my side than anything else.

The result is a quad which works very well in acro mode, and well in level mode. The baro works too. Mag not tested.

Needs about 70% throttle to float, which is a bit more than I expected. It also makes 2S batteries difficult or even impossible to use.

Important things to note

1. I used balsa wood because it’s soft and light. But next time plywood will be used. Or GF or CF for the bottom/top face of the main frame board.
  2. I’ll make the base board larger so nothing has to stick out (like the receiver does now)
  3. Need a Naze32-to-KK-size (45mm square) adapter, preferably with vibration absorption
  4. My guess is that if the battery is with the FC on a board and that board is isolated from vibrations, it’ll be less vibrations for the FC. It might inadvertently lead to something like this as you cannot stack boards as I do now, so you need to work along the other axis.
  5. 1 motor was clearly more out of balance than the other ones. A zip tie fixed that to a manageable level.
  6. All props need balancing. 3 blades props are a bit more troublesome to balance, but look at this and for smaller props this. Until I balances them, hovering in level was not working well. It worked, but just barely.
    I need a proper prop balancer. The one I have is of cheap quality and the rods and screws are out of balance, which makes prop balancing more dependent on those instead of the propeller.
Hkubota is offline Find More Posts by Hkubota
Last edited by Hkubota; Sep 22, 2012 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Typos left and right
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:20 AM
Joined Jul 2012
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatchfilms View Post
This is my first quad. Nothing hand made, but built from parts purchased seperate if that counts.

Quadframe 155mm landing legs
Quadframe 2 axis gimbal

Very stable even in high winds, great features on the FC
may i ask where did u get these ?
alm1ghty is offline Find More Posts by alm1ghty
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:11 AM
United States, WI, Mukwonago
Joined Aug 2012
92 Posts
quadframe.com/us
soulpatchfilms is offline Find More Posts by soulpatchfilms
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:06 AM