HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:51 PM
Picture a worm wearing goggles
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2012
1,895 Posts
Nice! you made them? Did you drill or punch the holes out?
snipeworm is online now Find More Posts by snipeworm
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:54 PM
airplanes r made from aluminum
United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipeworm View Post
Nice! you made them? Did you drill or punch the holes out?
i used a unibit. you have to do some minimal plotting. i just eyeballed it as you can see they are not perfect. but my main intent was to reduce weight. here are a few better pictures in my blog. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1792040
wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:41 AM
Joined Jun 2012
16 Posts
New motors new weight on HB Quadcopter (3 min 29 sec)

I'm loving my new HB set up. Flying in the 11min range depending on the battery.

the original purpose for the build was to make something that was Jello free.
the Jello wasn't bad when I flew it at the farm, motors were not balanced. but what I liked the most was the flight time. My HT-FPV with OSD and GoPro and lights final weight with battery was 2300grams. My flight time was just over 4min. It looked cool flying and it was neat having the key logger data, but prefer the longer flight.

My Youtube Channel
leathergoldfish is offline Find More Posts by leathergoldfish
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:45 AM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,799 Posts
4 min flight time is just not practical. Interesting vibration reduction arm mount design you have there.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilem View Post
i used a unibit. you have to do some minimal plotting. i just eyeballed it as you can see they are not perfect. but my main intent was to reduce weight. here are a few better pictures in my blog. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1792040
Ahaa... Unibit, you must be an electrician.... Nice work sparky!
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipeworm View Post
Ahaa... Unibit, you must be an electrician.... Nice work sparky!
Sorta but mot really, I have been an auto mechanic and automotive instructor at a tech college for ever, studied to be an A&P mechanic waste of time for sure. But these are left over tools and materials from building an RV7 airplane. (vans Aircraft). I have run a lot of wire though..

Thanks for the compliment.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Last edited by wilem; Dec 20, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:39 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Apr 2011
385 Posts
Haha! I live about six miles away from Vans Aircraft. I went to a EAA meeting once in a town the opposite direction to ask some advice once and the first person I asked pointed to another gentlemen and said "Hey might know, he's Mr Van." I can't remember his full last name but he's surely a nice guy!
fallingdown is offline Find More Posts by fallingdown
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:58 PM
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingdown View Post
Haha! I live about six miles away from Vans Aircraft. I went to a EAA meeting once in a town the opposite direction to ask some advice once and the first person I asked pointed to another gentlemen and said "Hey might know, he's Mr Van." I can't remember his full last name but he's surely a nice guy!
COOL, The man is a legend in the Experimental world. I met him a couple of times. Very nice guy indeed. His name is Richard VanGrunsven. You could save thousands on shipping... and weeks waiting on parts to arrive. My brother just completed his and he started before me. i finished 5 years ago.:-)
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined Apr 2011
385 Posts
Quote:
COOL, The man is a legend in the Experimental world. I met him a couple of times. Very nice guy indeed. His name is Richard VanGrunsven. You could save thousands on shipping... and weeks waiting on parts to arrive. My brother just completed his and he started before me. i finished 5 years ago.:-)
Ah yes, VanGrunsven, now I remember why I couldn't remember, lol.

Yeah I drove over there one day and asked for a tour and got to look around... found a few shiny things I needed for another project. But I can't afford to build a full scale plane, not yet anyways, I'm still young (well, 30 anyways, lol).
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Ah yes, VanGrunsven, now I remember why I couldn't remember, lol.

Yeah I drove over there one day and asked for a tour and got to look around... found a few shiny things I needed for another project. But I can't afford to build a full scale plane, not yet anyways, I'm still young (well, 30 anyways, lol).
Well, i would just buy an old 172 for a while..If you get the itch to fly. Building isn't for everyone, its like going to prison for 2-5 years...
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:20 PM
Joined Apr 2011
385 Posts
Quote:
Well, i would just buy an old 172 for a while..If you get the itch to fly. Building isn't for everyone, its like going to prison for 2-5 years...
Oh no, the building is the fun part, designing is even better, flying is kinda fun too. That's why I fly FPV... I design, build and fly, AND I can actually afford it, well, kinda.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Oh no, the building is the fun part, designing is even better, flying is kinda fun too. That's why I fly FPV... I design, build and fly, AND I can actually afford it, well, kinda.
I have to admit, FPV is very much rewarding and not a whole lot different that the real sensation..
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:16 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,492 Posts
I hope to find out soon. I ordered the FPV gear but haven't received it yet. I plan to build a H quad or Tri just for it. I use to fly SEL 172's and 152's mostly but lost my medical. Bum eyeballs. Now that I can afford it they won't let me. Oh well I do love my RC.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:34 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,895 Posts
Hey Carr, I have a frame and a board for sale, I tried to PM you but it looks like you dont take pm's. I dont want to go ff topic here so if interested try to message me. I can tell you more about it.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:06 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,492 Posts
I've got all the needed parts to build with I just haven't gotten around to it. I thank you though. This is one of the things I like about the forums people willing to help. Thanks. I didn't know about the PM thing. I'll check it out.

Tom

Don't know how to work the pm thing. Oops
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52