- Basswood, balsa
- dt750 motors spinning 10x4.7 GWS
- KK2 (LCD) running fw1.2. I have a programmer in the mail
- HK Multistar 20A ESCs, stock
- OrangeRX
- HK600GT landing skids
- LED strips

Total investment (wo batt & tx): $160

Just got the PI settings all ironed out.
yarg is offline Find More Posts by yarg
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:41 AM
First quadcopter in space 2014
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Aug 2012
99 Posts
^I want to do my lighting like that.
It bothers me seeing red and green used to mean front and back and such. Green is starboard and red is port!

I also really like your landing gear. Ive been thinkig of building something like that, Never thought of just using a helicopter part.
Full_Tilt is online now Find More Posts by Full_Tilt
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:51 AM
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Oct 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt View Post
It bothers me seeing red and green used to mean front and back and such. Green is starboard and red is port!

I also really like your landing gear. Ive been thinkig of building something like that, Never thought of just using a helicopter part.
Thanks! I very much agree about the position of colors. It's easier for me to tell the orientation when it is all proper and standard.

I keep the landing skids on with zip ties and the frame can slide around on them a bit. It takes some hard landings well, and I've been really impressed with the flexibility of them.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined Jul 2008
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt View Post
That was my thought too, and i added red and green lights to my first quad for port and starboard. After flying the thing for a while i realised that i almost never confuse left and right, it's almost always front and back.

Since flying a few different quads with different LED colour schemes i now think that a 2 colour scheme that shows the front and the back of the quad in different colours is the simplest and helps the most with orientation.

If you don't like red and green then red and blue works too; but if you fly around twilight when the sky is blue then green LEDs show up better.

Most people choose to put red at the back because it reminds them of car brake lights.

teslahed is offline Find More Posts by teslahed
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:27 PM
Denmark, Syddanmark, Fredericia
Joined Oct 2007
3 Posts
This is my HexaCopter. Everything built from scratch. Also the camera gimbal. The two are built for each other (literally).
Its constructed in Inventor 2012.

A video shot this saturday:
"Ved Jens" (8 min 49 sec)

If you want to know more: http://perweb.dk/MultiRotor/MinHexaKopter.htm
pxpep is offline Find More Posts by pxpep
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:58 PM
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Oct 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teslahed View Post
That was my thought too, and i added red and green lights to my first quad for port and starboard. After flying the thing for a while i realised that i almost never confuse left and right, it's almost always front and back.

Since flying a few different quads with different LED colour schemes i now think that a 2 colour scheme that shows the front and the back of the quad in different colours is the simplest and helps the most.

Most people choose to put red at the back because it reminds them of car brake lights.
This makes sense to me. I guess if you know which is front and back, then left and right is easy to figure out.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:26 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarg View Post
This makes sense to me. I guess if you know which is front and back, then left and right is easy to figure out.
I'm also planning on adding something small top and bottom f the center plate since it will be easier to judge angle at a distance.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:19 AM
Disturbed, but in a good way.
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Nov 2009
143 Posts
Mine has all the same color lights on the arms. I just put a plate with a bunch of lights facing forward on the front of my centre plate. Its VERY obvious when it is facing you just like headlights.
RotoGoat is offline Find More Posts by RotoGoat
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined Jul 2008
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
I'm also planning on adding something small top and bottom f the center plate since it will be easier to judge angle at a distance.
I've got 2 small patches of a third colour on the bottom of my two stunt copters on the front arms - when they are the right way up i can see the third colour and when upside down i can't, which definitely helps with orientation at a distance.
teslahed is offline Find More Posts by teslahed
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:47 PM
Defies Logic & Common Sense
Philippines, NCR, Makati City
Joined Jun 2012
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
+1 Bingo. Only draw back is the weight of the tether. Most FCs with a GPS and Baro can do a fantastic job holding position and altitude these days.
by looking at some old footage that they claim near 200ft all on tethered flight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=uir9Engj4v4

well looks possible if the goal is to hang it in one spot for extremely long periods
speedactyl is online now Find More Posts by speedactyl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Happy Holiday and 2014 Review
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:02 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedactyl View Post
by looking at some old footage that they claim near 200ft all on tethered flight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=uir9Engj4v4

well looks possible if the goal is to hang it in one spot for extremely long periods
Thank you for sharing this video, I actually watched all four parts. Very informative.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:39 AM
Defies Logic & Common Sense
Philippines, NCR, Makati City
Joined Jun 2012
1,093 Posts
http://bldgblog.blogspot.com/2012/02/hovermast.html

heres another modern variation same concept going upto 50 meters on a cable & of course hover there hours on end.
speedactyl is online now Find More Posts by speedactyl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Happy Holiday and 2014 Review
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:39 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedactyl View Post
http://bldgblog.blogspot.com/2012/02/hovermast.html

heres another modern variation same concept going upto 50 meters on a cable & of course hover there hours on end.
I think perspectives for the multirotor copters are changing from sport (acrobatics) flying to a role of Observation.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:06 AM
vAMPire
Germany
Joined Aug 2010
134 Posts
Quote:
I think perspectives for the multirotor copters are changing from sport (acrobatics) flying to a role of Observation.
To strive against the stream, here is my little funquad, 200mm M2M, ~100g without battery.

Cut from 2mm CF-sheet, asymetrical shape which helps a lot in terms of visibility in acrobatic flight. Equipped with 2000kv 10g motors, 6a plush esc with SimonK (the old ones when thex were still using atmega) , FrSky RX, 5x3 GF props and 3s 800mAh battery.

The flight controller is a small and compact box where pro mini, WMP with ITG3205 and RX where soldered and shrinked together.

Here is the Vid, make sure you watch it on Vimeo in HD:

Mini Multiwii Quadrocopter Funflying (6 min 36 sec)

To be honest, it is used for "observation" as well, check my other vids, there is a FPV-video, too ;-)

regards
Henni
Henni is offline Find More Posts by Henni
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:17 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Helicopters and other flying platforms have always been used for observation, but the growing popularity has provided for a range of advancements that are bring the tech to the masses, tethers could represent a huge boost.

I could see a "cart" design that plugged into a standard news van system for on the spot reporting of breaking news. Long airtime, high current, and highspeed downlink allows for HD cameras and with some of the newer autonomous tech could be piloted into position by someone with limited training. No ladder, boom, or helicopter needed.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide