HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:49 AM
Chasing dreams not d competion
uk
Joined Feb 2009
583 Posts
Thats interesting, i notice the motors are on the same angle as the arms instead of being vertical.
I had visions of at least 45' angle with vertical motors but seeing that frame i wonder how much difference a shallower angle but angled motors makes.
BrownOut is offline Find More Posts by BrownOut
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:53 AM
Chile, Santiago Metropolitan Region, Stgo
Joined Mar 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
I agree, very nice. I think while I'm waiting on new props I'll rebuild mine to hold the gopro. I won't mount it yet. Not till I am sure I can keep this thing stable. Another thing is longer arms. Hoping it will be even more docile with longer arms.

Tom
I have a few tris with different length arms from 11" to 19" and I can say they behave very differently. Longer arms are definitely more stable, less twitchy. But this also means they are more sluggish in response which in turn means you have to think further ahead in your manoeuvres to avoid obstacles or correct direction, etc. Though a lot of this can be counteracted by setting expos on the TX (or with stick scaling in the flight controller board like KK2)
stevenharting is offline Find More Posts by stevenharting
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:19 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
Thats what I'm wanting. More stable. I don't do tricks with helicopters so I just want stable. While I'm waiting on some new props I think I'll build another frame with longer arms. I'm really anxious to see how the KK2 board works. I ordered two of them from HK. Right now I'm using the KK compatible from Value Hobby. Once I get it tamed down I think it'll be alright. I did get one flight out of it before I broke the last of the props.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:01 PM
------------------------
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedco View Post
http://youtu.be/H7Bak553eNA

As requested . i have done a review on the quad 3.0 frame .
in this video i will cover the layout and features as well as flight characteristics

I am planning on making a kit form of this and putting it up for sale
I am also planning on doing a pnf version

the costings on both will be done hopefully in the next 2 weeks
Excellent build. thanks...phil
Captain3D is offline Find More Posts by Captain3D
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:03 PM
Where did that tree come from?
Random locations in the Continental US
Joined Jul 2008
112 Posts
My first scratch built quad and it actually flies! Not the most earth shattering accomplishment, I know, but I feel kind of warm and fuzzy. Also a bit shaky after the maiden 10 minutes ago. Needs a bit of tuning yet but I need a good night's sleep first.

The landing gear is temporary, I'll do something more elegant after I'm past the training wheel stage.
xidkid is offline Find More Posts by xidkid
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:18 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Apr 2011
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownOut View Post
I have been wondering if a better frame (more stable for AP) would be to have the arms angled upwards putting the motors above the height of the centre section or whether the weight of the motors reduce any benifit beyond making it worthwhile.
Having the motors angled inwards makes it more stable in hover... but destabilizes in forward flight.

Ideally you want to keep the CG right at the height of the props. Those aerial photography ships NEED to have the camera down low for an obstruction free view, but this puts the CG way too low, hence the angled in arms/motors.

People think of a multirotor as a pendulum whereas the pivot point is at the props, and having a super low cg will stabilize it like a basket under a ballon. It doesn't work this way, the thing is flying without any natural stability, so the pivot point is at the CG (in all 3 axis too). So if you had an exaggerated low cg, you'd see the props slicing sideways through the air in a roll! Not to mention having less pitch/roll authority = less stable.

Hope this helps!
fallingdown is offline Find More Posts by fallingdown
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:50 PM
uk
Joined Feb 2009
583 Posts
That does help, thankyou for such a great reply. It all makes sence, i had fallen into the trap of thinking of it as a pendulum myself so im glad ive not started cutting metal yet.
It seems somthing like the Ecilop easy design would bring the cg up to a more reasonable level?
Is this why quads tend to fall 'butter side up'?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:18 AM
uk
Joined Feb 2009
583 Posts
Now ive thought about it and seen jamiedco's videos im going to restart my design all over.

@jamiedco
Could i ask what size is your quad motor to motor and what props are you using? Sorry if i missed it on one of your videos but im running low on my phones data limit for this month so i dare not watch them again just yet, too much quad research lol.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:27 AM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
ok got a bit of folding action going here...

phil
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Apr 2011
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownOut View Post
That does help, thankyou for such a great reply. It all makes sence, i had fallen into the trap of thinking of it as a pendulum myself so im glad ive not started cutting metal yet.
It seems somthing like the Ecilop easy design would bring the cg up to a more reasonable level?
Is this why quads tend to fall 'butter side up'?
Yeah the Ecilop is a good example of a well thought out aircraft design. The guy behind it is really quite brilliant if you've ever been to his website... he doesn't just assemble parts to build something new, he seems to start with a clean sheet and looks at the physics first, then designs around solid engineering! Its too bad he showed off his proto so early in its development and now there's already two clones being sold by the chinese...

'butter side up' lol... Hadn't thought of it that way!! I think you might be onto something!
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:22 PM
Joined Apr 2011
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain3D View Post
ok got a bit of folding action going here...

phil
Ooooo....
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:31 PM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,424 Posts
Here's an artsy pic of my V-Tail:

Some video I made yesterday, testing the camera & FPV setup:
The HellaCopter - Camera Test #1 (1 min 32 sec)
AcroFPV is online now Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:39 AM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
Had fun all day working on this new design. Very happy with it so far. Weight of the frame alone is 480g so hardly a light weight but it has the dual layer system separated with silicone isolators to stop GoPro jello. This adds another layer of ply.

The blocks on the front are just counter weight to represent a stereo GoPro kit. As it is raining out side I had to do a test hover indoors and all looks good.

Thanks all who shared their folding designs that got me going down this path.

phil

Edit: I meant to say that I recut the two lower plates out of 3mm instead of 5mm ply and made them smaller to save a lot of weight since yesterday.
Last edited by Captain3D; Nov 18, 2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:54 AM
Canada, ON, Ajax
Joined Jul 2011
365 Posts
Nice design. What locks the arms in place once they unfold?

Dave
Birdman4498 is offline Find More Posts by Birdman4498
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:10 AM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
Thanks.

Just a friction hold for the legs. I can adjust the bolts that hold the plates together to make it nice and tight at the lock point. The plates pinch down on the arms and it takes 3 KG of force on the tip of the arm to get it moving. Might help decelerate things in a crash.

phil