SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:53 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,496 Posts
Thanks subaru. I'll turn the rates down next try. Right now I'll have to wait till I get some new props. Broke the last three on my last attemp at fine tuning the beast. Bummer. This little break will give me time to work on the Sea plane. Never did get much response about the length of the arms issue. Would long arms make it more mellow?

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:10 PM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,380 Posts
I believe longer arms will make it easier to keep stable. I had one hell of a time keeping my 450mm frame stable, but my V-Tail has a wingspan of 710mm and it is very easy to fly and keep stable.
AcroFPV is offline Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:18 PM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,936 Posts
frame diameter, prop size, balancing mainly attribute to stability. but, i disagree on the 100% rate thing. even with stock plush ESCs (now are flashed), i could get stable and jacked up the rate on MWC. its all in PID for me.
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:48 PM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipeworm View Post
Quit breaking the rules Subaru so that we can look at your posts! Such a trouble maker!
LOL- what exactly does one do to get into so much hot water?
2400RDR is online now Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:54 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR View Post
Getting into too many no-win discussions; politics, religion, frame design, flight controllers.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:20 PM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR View Post
i think he told someone to leave the hobby(read this earlier somewhere). probably some newb, but i dont know where he said it, so i dont know who it was.
EDIT: yep: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post23258259

and possibly found the post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6773 and it seems to have been removed from his posts log: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...r_%20subaru4wd should be at Nov 12, 2012, 03:43 PM, but Nov 12, 2012, 03:22 PM is the closest.

and im guessing subaru4wd just got severely annoyed: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...user_%20zacker

sorry mods if i am digging something up, just trying to let people know what happened.
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Last edited by sirbow2; Nov 14, 2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:54 PM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,380 Posts
Yeah I got 2 infractions on the KK2 thread for telling some newb that this was not the hobby for him. Moderators asked me to edit my thread, and instead of editing it, i just added a period. That got me another infraction.

All my other infractions came from a totally off-topic thread where some clown & I got into it about our President.
AcroFPV is offline Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:46 PM
Picture a worm wearing goggles
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2012
1,910 Posts
Haha.. Didn't realize it was that easy to get in trouble around here.
snipeworm is offline Find More Posts by snipeworm
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:16 PM
Canada, ON, Ajax
Joined Jul 2011
337 Posts
X650 Spyder

This isn't a scratch build persay but an idea for a frame using parts from the Xaircraft 650 V4. I drew up some plans and had DialFonzo cut the frame for me. Just got it together tonight and took it up in the spare room and it seems as stable as all get out. I can't wait to take it for a spin tomorrow. It is the exact same size motor to motor as an f450 approx. 12.5" and foldable. I have Naza with GPS, Gopro and will add my FPV gear (plenty of room) Using SunnySky 980's and 8" gemfan props.

Dave
Birdman4498 is offline Find More Posts by Birdman4498
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:19 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2012
378 Posts
Nice, that looks like a great frame,
jimbob69 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob69
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:59 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,496 Posts
I agree, very nice. I think while I'm waiting on new props I'll rebuild mine to hold the gopro. I won't mount it yet. Not till I am sure I can keep this thing stable. Another thing is longer arms. Hoping it will be even more docile with longer arms.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,910 Posts
Another thing to do to make it easier to fly is to keep as much of the weight as low as possible. The highest part should be the props. I notice a big change when I mount my battery on top of my frame than when it is mounted underneath. It's a lot like a plane with a high wing or a low wing.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:08 PM
Where did that tree come from?
Random locations in the Continental US
Joined Jul 2008
112 Posts
Here's my current project. Very minimalist, basswood and lite ply. HK 1811-2000 motors and witespy's flip control board. Building it at odd moments in the sleeper berth of my truck. In the mean time I'm getting as much stick time as possible on my mqx.
xidkid is offline Find More Posts by xidkid
Last edited by xidkid; Nov 15, 2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:59 PM
Chasing dreams not d competion
uk
Joined Feb 2009
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipeworm View Post
Another thing to do to make it easier to fly is to keep as much of the weight as low as possible. The highest part should be the props. I notice a big change when I mount my battery on top of my frame than when it is mounted underneath. It's a lot like a plane with a high wing or a low wing.
I have been wondering if a better frame (more stable for AP) would be to have the arms angled upwards putting the motors above the height of the centre section or whether the weight of the motors reduce any benifit beyond making it worthwhile.
BrownOut is offline Find More Posts by BrownOut
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:06 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,910 Posts
I think that is absolutely right. DJI has a professional grade hexacopter that sells for thousands that is set up that way.

http://quadcopters.co.uk/ekmps/shops...-frame-v4-esc-[2]-275-p.jpg

The frame isn't as acrobatic but that's not what it is made for