SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:24 AM
Joined Nov 2011
164 Posts
Pete, Nice video brother! Makes me want to hurry up and finish my big Hex with a DJI controller. I think I've got my T-tri dialed in pretty good, it takes pretty good video for an air platform that has a hard mounted camera. I've finally finalized my plan for my camera 2 axis gimbal for my Hex. Just have to get in the garage and build the darn thing.. Ha ha! Anyway, Here is my T-tri with a little bit of the Joker theme going on.
Scratch built T-tricopter, i86 board, in The Dark Flight (3 min 35 sec)
Ron_RC is offline Find More Posts by Ron_RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:29 AM
Joined Nov 2011
164 Posts
Oh, and with the HK i86 board, I was able to make my T-tricopter hover in a small area without drifting off and crashing so I got some video of it doing so. It was pretty calm that day so I'm not sure how well it would hold with more wind but I know that even in the wind, it's a pussycat to handle.
Stable T-tricopter with No Autolevel (4 min 24 sec)
Ron_RC is offline Find More Posts by Ron_RC
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:33 AM
SBSS, SVSS, SCCMAS, EBRC
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jan 2004
153 Posts
Sean,

I am making progress on my Aerotestra. So far a great build. It is 6 ounces lighter than my HoverThings 550 frame and much neater to install. The hollow shell concept is great. I just need to figure out how to mount my Contour HD camera to it. I may pick up a GoPro 3 as it seems to be a better fit in this design. Hopefully I will get some tests in this weekend and post some pictures.

My setup is:

Radio -- JR 10X with Dragon Link UHF
Controller -- ArduPilot 2 w/ MinumOSD
Motors -- Neodym 480 1180
Props -- 10x4.7 APC
Video RF -- ReadyMadeRC
Camera -- ReadyMadeRC 700XV
Downlink -- ReadyMadeRC 1.3G w/ IBCRAZY circular polarized antenna

Don
Don McCullough is offline Find More Posts by Don McCullough
Last edited by Don McCullough; Nov 09, 2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:26 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Chester View Post
Here is my latest creation. Its called "Snow Screen", because its white and its made out of aluminum window screen material. Right now it has my Gaui motor and escs and one of my copter control boards. Soon to have Spektrum satellite and a 2100mah 3s battery to hit the skies. Should fly great, its pretty dang light and very stiff. I believe is 420mm center to center in square. Total cost of the frame was about $12.

What do you think?
I like this. That's what I call thinking outside the box....even though you sort of made one. Any flight vids?
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:44 AM
------------------------
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
Here is my latest. Seem to be building something new every weekend at the moment. Too many ideas to try out. This one was about creating a clean/dirty layer idea.

Like the QAV500

The idea is that all the noisy, vibration creating bits are isolated in their own layer from the top plate that holds the camera, flight controller, batteries etc. In between are silicone isolators. I will strap on the GoPros tomorrow to see how it works but the vibration measuring app on the iphone is showing promising results. Unfortunately all the extra layers make this frame HEAVY. Around 600g

AUW with cameras will be around 2.3KG
2216 1250kv Tiger motors
30A SimonK ESC
10" APC slowfly
Gaui GU-INS flight controller

Cheers....phil
Captain3D is offline Find More Posts by Captain3D
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:59 AM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,936 Posts
ron_rc, that was just creepy! haha. nice build.
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:58 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain3D View Post
Here is my latest. Seem to be building something new every weekend at the moment. Too many ideas to try out. This one was about creating a clean/dirty layer idea.

Like the QAV500

The idea is that all the noisy, vibration creating bits are isolated in their own layer from the top plate that holds the camera, flight controller, batteries etc. In between are silicone isolators. I will strap on the GoPros tomorrow to see how it works but the vibration measuring app on the iphone is showing promising results. Unfortunately all the extra layers make this frame HEAVY. Around 600g

AUW with cameras will be around 2.3KG
2216 1250kv Tiger motors
30A SimonK ESC
10" APC slowfly
Gaui GU-INS flight controller

Cheers....phil

For some reason I think you should add swiveling wheels underneath it. It looks like a fucturistic car.. What other ideas are you working on?
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:02 PM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
Ha yeah it is the bubble top that does it and the long 'hood'. Maybe some flames :-)

Mainly I am working on getting things to work :-) A whole bunch of my experiments here...

http://captain3d.com/dayoff/html/quad/quad_diary.html

My ideal quad can fit in hand luggage but also carry full FPV gear and dual GoPros for stereo video Oh and fly for 10 mins. It is a tall order as they end up super heavy with all the gear which requires a bigger frame and prop etc. But that is the fun challenge.

I just took the bubble car 'no vibe' quad out for a test and the video looks great. Jello free GoPro at 1080 30fps. You only see Jello at the slowest revs before take off and even those are minor.

No Jello test (2 min 55 sec)

Apologizes for shocking editing, lens smudges and top left black corner. I just velcroed the camera on for this test.

phil
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:36 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Captain,

Why not overlap props? Much more compact builds when you can have some overlap. My understanding is that performance doesn't suffer till you have approximately 40% overlap. This build is 2 18" arms bolted in the center and pinned to various angles by the FC plate. Props are 10x4.5.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:22 PM
kad
Quad Crasher
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined May 2012
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Chester View Post
Here is my latest creation. Its called "Snow Screen", because its white and its made out of aluminum window screen material. Right now it has my Gaui motor and escs and one of my copter control boards. Soon to have Spektrum satellite and a 2100mah 3s battery to hit the skies. Should fly great, its pretty dang light and very stiff. I believe is 420mm center to center in square. Total cost of the frame was about $12.

What do you think?
Very cool. Am I seeing correctly that it's assembled with pop-rivets and plexiglass corner plates? How did you keep the plexi from cracking under the pressure from the rivets?

-K
kad is offline Find More Posts by kad
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:32 PM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Captain,

Why not overlap props? Much more compact builds when you can have some overlap. My understanding is that performance doesn't suffer till you have approximately 40% overlap. This build is 2 18" arms bolted in the center and pinned to various angles by the FC plate. Props are 10x4.5.

Oh Had not seen that before. Yet another thing to add to the test list :-)

phil
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:47 PM
Newnan, GA
Joined Oct 2002
2,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by variantman View Post
I like this. That's what I call thinking outside the box....even though you sort of made one. Any flight vids?
Not yet, but won't be too much longer before it gets maidened. I've been really tied up with trying to complete my new office and hobby building out behind the house. I got it done today finally, so it's about time to finish up a couple of projects and this is one of them. I'll make sure to video it and post it up here.
Matt Chester is offline Find More Posts by Matt Chester
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:53 PM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
Giving it another go to try and save some weight. Down to 450g and still seems stiff enough.

phil
Last edited by Captain3D; Nov 12, 2012 at 03:52 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:02 PM
Newnan, GA
Joined Oct 2002
2,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kad View Post
Very cool. Am I seeing correctly that it's assembled with pop-rivets and plexiglass corner plates? How did you keep the plexi from cracking under the pressure from the rivets?

-K
Yeah, that's what it is. It never acted like it was going to crack, I just drilled an 1/8" hole through both materials at once and then popped the rivets in there. Super simple and easy construction. I really like building with rivets, it's so easy. Those are aluminum rivets, so that may help.
Matt Chester is offline Find More Posts by Matt Chester
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:53 AM
Romania, Bucuresti, Bucharest
Joined Oct 2011
174 Posts
My H-copter

Here's my take on the H-copter.

DJI Naza
2830 / 980kv with 10/4.5 props
30A Multistars
Balsa frame