SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:58 PM
Picture a worm wearing goggles
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2012
2,031 Posts
I thought about that but wanted to keep it simple. I am still not 100 percent sold on the quads. Most of my flying is with planes and I hardly use the rudder or yaw control. Still doesn't feel natural. I will keep practicing because I like the idea of a quad. Once I am better at flying it I will probably attempt to build a folding frame. Good luck!
snipeworm is online now Find More Posts by snipeworm
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:11 AM
Newnan, GA
Joined Oct 2002
2,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipeworm View Post
I thought about that but wanted to keep it simple. I am still not 100 percent sold on the quads. Most of my flying is with planes and I hardly use the rudder or yaw control. Still doesn't feel natural. I will keep practicing because I like the idea of a quad. Once I am better at flying it I will probably attempt to build a folding frame. Good luck!
Snipe,

You have to wake up that Left Thumb if you're going to have fun with these multicopters. There is no way to really enjoy them if you don't.

I suggest you get on a simulator and fly the crap out of some Heli's until you're sick and tired of doing it. It will teach you to fly with yaw control, which is a whole 'nother world of flight.
Matt Chester is offline Find More Posts by Matt Chester
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:51 AM
Joined Oct 2012
13 Posts
Its kind of scratch built because i sourced all the parts from different places.

i replace the fiber glass booms with aluminum round tube because well i broke the last ones

very sturdy now and everything dialed in, with out the cradle it is very twitchy and over powered, when the camera cradle is attached it flys a bit sluggish, (more time to think )

running a kk board but still debating what more advanced board to use

QUAD COPTER MAIDEN FLIGHT THEN CRASH, KK BOARD (0 min 55 sec)
chemstar is offline Find More Posts by chemstar
Last edited by chemstar; Oct 31, 2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:34 AM
Defies Logic & Common Sense
Philippines, NCR, Makati City
Joined Jun 2012
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR View Post
When do we get to see the video?

Tumana boys flying! (4 min 56 sec)

unfortunately the videographer just did a quick pass on the shot but there are other multirotors in the video
speedactyl is offline Find More Posts by speedactyl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Happy Holiday and 2014 Review
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:28 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
Looks like a good time. Thanks for sharing.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:17 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2012
378 Posts
got some more time on my new scratch tri today, this is the 5th time i've taken it out,starting to get the feel for it,

pretty sure i like it more then my quad, i can't believe home smooth they are, so light and floaty,

sorry for the weird video situation, it was the only way i could wedge my phone in the park bench lol.(helps to watch in full screen).

didn't break anything at the end, just straight back up and off again, very much enjoying the robustness of a home build over fancy motor mounts and carbon fibre.

Flips (3 min 16 sec)
jimbob69 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob69
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:34 AM
South Africa, GP, Alberton
Joined Sep 2012
39 Posts
quad3

this is my latest build .
check out the video that im getting off it

Quest For Awesome Footage Part 6 Good Bye Gopro (3 min 34 sec)

Quest For Awesome Footage Part 5 Quad 3.0 Testing Across The Road (3 min 8 sec)

this is it while tuning

Quad 3.0 Testing and calibration . (0 min 28 sec)

for more info and builds check out my site
www.jamiedco.com
jamiedco is offline Find More Posts by jamiedco
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:03 PM
Joined Nov 2011
164 Posts
Hi all,
This was my first successful Xcopter build using the HK V1 controller. Everything on this build was around $100. I was able to get the gyros set to perfection on this bird and it flew like a dream with 8" props. Then a friend wanted to buy it and offered what it took for me to part ways with it.

Stable Scratch Built Quadcopter Xcopter (3 min 3 sec)

I shot lots of video with this quad and now that it was gone, I had to build another. I had been assisting other people on their builds but then it was time to build another for me. Ha ha! This is what I ended up with. A larger frame, better motors, 10" props, and used the HK i86 board. This controller was super easy to set up.

HK i86 controller on a scratch built Xcopter (2 min 46 sec)

Building on the success of this combination, I replaced the i86 board with the KK2 board with auto level and returned to the 8" props which seemed to work much better.

Xcopter w/ KK2 board auto level (4 min 7 sec)

However, battery life was shorter with this setup so when an offer came, I sold this one too. What I built next was a foldable T-tricopter. It took me a while to come up with this design and now I plan to use it on an H frame quad copter for an even more compact package. Please excuse the silliness on this video. I watched Batman, The Dark Knight.. Ha ha!

Scratch built T-tricopter, i86 board, in The Dark Flight (3 min 35 sec)

I am now working on a Power Tower. I've flown it in my garage just to dial it in and it's a monster to tune. Next time I fly it (whether it's indoors or not) I will get some video. Seems every session I've had so far ends in broken props and at times a stripped servo. But when I replace it this time, I'll shoot it.

Take care all,
Ron
Ron_RC is offline Find More Posts by Ron_RC
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:10 PM
Picture a worm wearing goggles
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2012
2,031 Posts
I moved the kk board under the lexan for protection after I dropped the bird from 20 feet on its top. Next stop is landing gear with integrated camera and lipo tray. Thanks to Mr. Suburu for filling me in on default settings resets to plus quad. I spent a couple hours dialing my x quads P and I values in with plus quad settings. I was frustrated to say the least. Flies quite nice now.

last two pics are before the board was moved.
snipeworm is online now Find More Posts by snipeworm
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:28 PM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,428 Posts
If you have some of that plexi left over, that would make for some great battery protection.
AcroFPV is offline Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:15 AM
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Mar 2012
277 Posts
Small Quad Refreshed with APC E 7x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkubota View Post
  • GemFan 7035 7x3x3 from GotHeliRC (black and orange, both CW and CCW)
Those props worked, but balancing was a pain as my prop balancer does not allow those to turn more than about 45 degrees. Then a blade hits the bottom. Clearly normal 2 blade props are easier to balance under those circumstances. I still balanced the 7x3.5x3 props well and it was all smooth and with few vibrations.

But I always thought that I should try some other props too. If only just for fun or educational purposes.
So I got myself the only 7" props I could find in push and pull configuration: APC Electric 7x5 props.

Pretty well balanced (1 of 4 was perfect, the other ones needed small amount of cellotape) out of the box. Since the prop adapter I have is a 5mm one, and APC does not seem to be a friend of mm, I had to get some Hyperion adapter rings. Very easy to put into the puller props, but impossible to fit into the pushers, so some light sanding was required.

But it was worth it. When going from the Gemfan 7x3.5x3 to APC Thin Electric 7x5 props, this happened:
  • Hover throttle moved from about 70% to 43%
  • The sound is way less high pitched (neither good nor bad, just an observation)
  • I had to use less P (going from 7.1 to 5.1) as otherwise I get fast oscillations
  • It's not docile anymore and acts much faster and more sensitive for roll and pitch changes (yaw is pretty much unchanged)
  • When giving too much throttle (about >80%), the motor mount vibrate. For now I simply limit throttle to <80% which is plenty much power left.
  • Although eCalc told me the props will stall, power usage did hardly change: Before as well as afterwards I use about 1600 mAh for 10min slow cruising.

Much less a beginner quad than before. I'm glad I did not start with those props.
The biggest surprise was the lack of power usage.

As a result, for my larger quad (35cm diagonal M2M) I'll definitely try different 8" props: Graupner, APC E and SF, GemFan CF and whatever else I can find.
Hkubota is offline Find More Posts by Hkubota
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Nov 2011
164 Posts
It seems that every year on October 31st, there are a lot of short bandits that come around to rob us of candy. Well, this past 31 Oct, I had something in store for them. I decked out my T-tri in a ghost outfit.. Moo Hoo Ha Ha Ha Ha Haaaa!

Happy Halloween (1 min 39 sec)
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:00 PM
Joined Nov 2011
164 Posts
I've also found that if you tune the HK i86 board, it will hold it's position quite well. I had my Tri staying in an space of about 10 to 15 ft slowly drifting back and forth, so I thought I would get some video of this.

Stable T-tricopter with No Autolevel (4 min 24 sec)
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:25 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Nov 2012
16 Posts
aerotestra (Air Shell) Multi Rotor Airframes

This is a design that I have been working on for the better part of a year. It occurred to me a frame constructed this way would be lighter, stiffer, and more durable than the frames currently being made. It is 555 mm frame based on my first scratch built version. It weighs in at 395 grams. It can take a petty tough landing without any damage.Name: IMG_1047.jpg
Views: 776
Size: 128.5 KB
Description:
seanheadrick is offline Find More Posts by seanheadrick
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:41 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
Thats a nice looking frame. I like the way all the components are inclosed.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52