SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Nov 2011
157 Posts
Hi all, here is my scratch built, collapsible, T frame tricopter (T-tricopter). I used 2 - 24" towel bars, calculated the distance the rear rotor would need to be in order to make a perfect triangle and cut it to length. Also used some light weight aluminum L bar to lock the arms in place and 1/8" by 5/8" aluminum bar stock to make landing gear. This thing flies like a dream and is very compact when collapsed. Let me know what you think.

Scratch built T-tricopter, i86 board, in The Dark Flight (3 min 35 sec)

Turnigy Photo Competition T-tricopter (1 min 33 sec)
Ron_RC is offline Find More Posts by Ron_RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:26 PM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,935 Posts
the 3rd motor + servo is rudder and holds up the back of the tri
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:46 AM
Picture a worm wearing goggles
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2012
1,890 Posts
Nice job Ron... Very stable and compact.
snipeworm is offline Find More Posts by snipeworm
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:51 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,890 Posts
Here is my H copter. I have flown it a few times but still need to do some tinkering. Holds 2 1600mah 3s lipos and a gopro but I only get about 5-6 minutes from it. Has lots of lift so I might put the timing on the esc's to low for more effeciency. I used nylon bolts as Subaru4WD suggested which worked out well since I put her in the ground hard upside down.

There is 1/4 inch lexan over the esc's which provides the rigidity and protection needed for my style of flying. Now I need to protect my precious KK2 board.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:24 AM
Switzerland
Joined Jul 2010
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_RC View Post
Hi all, here is my scratch built, collapsible, T frame tricopter (T-tricopter).
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipeworm View Post
Here is my H copter. I have flown it a few times but still need to do some tinkering.
Well done guys. Love these T and H quad, simple and works well.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=quadh
eyesonsky is offline Find More Posts by eyesonsky
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:15 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2012
378 Posts
So I made a wooden H at the weekend as an fpv'er, so basic, only had 6mm ply for the sandwich plank so wouldn't mind lightening that up a bit tbh, it does fly ok on a windy test in the back garden so...
Wouldn't mind some more powerful motors though, the 1175s on there are getting warm after a pack with just gentle hovering.

Ronrc,
Is there any difference in flight with the T over a trad tricopter layout? Yours looks great!!
jimbob69 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob69
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:09 AM
Flying Foamies
Philippines, NCR, Makati City
Joined Jun 2012
846 Posts
shall call it the Foamy Falcon

speedactyl is offline Find More Posts by speedactyl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Philippnes Materials Available
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:02 PM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedactyl View Post
shall call it the Foamy Falcon
When do we get to see the video?
2400RDR is offline Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:08 PM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2012
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Here is my H copter. I have flown it a few times but still need to do some tinkering. Holds 2 1600mah 3s lipos and a gopro but I only get about 5-6 minutes from it. Has lots of lift so I might put the timing on the esc's to low for more effeciency. I used nylon bolts as Subaru4WD suggested which worked out well since I put her in the ground hard upside down.

There is 1/4 inch lexan over the esc's which provides the rigidity and protection needed for my style of flying. Now I need to protect my precious KK2 board.
You should mount the KK2 under the plexi like your ESC's are.

This thing flys real nice, so nice in fact that I have been thinking of building one.
AcroFPV is offline Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:20 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,890 Posts
I agree. I was pondering that this morning on the way home.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:14 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbow2 View Post
the 3rd motor + servo is rudder and holds up the back of the tri
Not sure what you mean. The servo and 3rd motor are connected to a Y cable then plugged into the M3 port on the KK2 board?
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:26 PM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2012
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
Not sure what you mean. The servo and 3rd motor are connected to a Y cable then plugged into the M3 port on the KK2 board?
The 3rd motor uses M3. The servo uses M4.
AcroFPV is offline Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:08 PM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
roll: the front left motor speeds up = roll right, front right motor speeds up = roll left

pitch: back motor speeds up = pushes tri forward, front two motors speed up = pushes tri back.

yaw: servo changes the angle at which the rear motor gives thrust and there for changes direction of tri. the angle/speed of this motor affects yaw and pitch.
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:01 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,492 Posts
Alright thats what I was wondering. The servo just plugs into the M4 port on the KK2 board like it another motor. Got all the parts ordered to build my first quad but the tri copter really intrigues me. Thanks again.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:47 PM
Joined Nov 2011
157 Posts
Quote:

snipeworm, I'm building an Hcopter similar to yours but with the same mechanism on front and back as my T-tricopter. That way it will collapse to a nice compact size for transport to just about anywhere.
Ron_RC is offline Find More Posts by Ron_RC