HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:59 PM
Flying Monkey
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2010
324 Posts
Here's a couple pics of my new scratchbuild swept-back V-tail design...

Name: Picture 6.jpg
Views: 493
Size: 79.4 KB
Description:

Name: Picture 4.jpg
Views: 372
Size: 75.8 KB
Description:

Name: Picture 5.jpg
Views: 361
Size: 81.1 KB
Description:

Name: Picture 1.jpg
Views: 375
Size: 82.5 KB
Description:

Name: Picture 3.jpg
Views: 352
Size: 90.0 KB
Description:

Name: Picture 2.jpg
Views: 337
Size: 73.9 KB
Description:

Whacha think?
heli-yeah is offline Find More Posts by heli-yeah
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:48 AM
serial scratchbuilder
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,368 Posts
@heli-yeah
I think I know what my next quad is gonna look like. The tail is 90deg? What motors/props?
Granted is offline Find More Posts by Granted
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:49 AM
Joined Jul 2012
7 Posts
Hello,

Some pics of my tricopter, (i posted it wrong)
Hope u all like it... suggestions welcome!

Greetz from Belgium

Parts list

Hobbyking V2.1 flashed with kapten kirk software
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ega168PA_.html
Turnigy 950Kv
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html
Hobbyking redbrick 30A ESC
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...k_30A_ESC.html
Flying with Lipo 2200MAh 3s 30C
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
delanghe is offline Find More Posts by delanghe
Last edited by delanghe; Oct 19, 2012 at 01:01 AM. Reason: forgot partlist :s
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:40 AM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
2,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli-yeah View Post

Attachment 5241689

Attachment 5241687

Attachment 5241688

Attachment 5241684

Attachment 5241686

Attachment 5241685

Whacha think?
nice build...glad to see another builder/flyer in the bluegrass state..
magic_marty is offline Find More Posts by magic_marty
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:22 AM
Joined Jul 2009
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli-yeah View Post

Attachment 5241689

Attachment 5241687

Attachment 5241688

Attachment 5241684

Attachment 5241686

Attachment 5241685

Whacha think?
I gotta admit, this is different. How does it fly? Is there any pitch or CG issues with the power differential?

We've all been building multirotors with identical motors at all positions. This is the first I seen with an power differential. Interesting.
diakatche is offline Find More Posts by diakatche
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:13 AM
Flying Monkey
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2010
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granted View Post
@heli-yeah
I think I know what my next quad is gonna look like. The tail is 90deg? What motors/props?
Yes 90deg. I have added details/specs to my post in the scratchbuild multirotor tread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_marty View Post
nice build...glad to see another builder/flyer in the bluegrass state..
Good to know your near, maybe we can fly someday! There are few multirotor pilots in the area, but we are growing in numbers everyday. ( I build quads for new pilots that I've introduced to the world of RC flight, and get more on the hook every time I fly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakatche View Post
I gotta admit, this is different. How does it fly? Is there any pitch or CG issues with the power differential?

We've all been building multirotors with identical motors at all positions. This is the first I seen with an power differential. Interesting.
The power distribution/thrust seems to be very well balanced. The CG is just about center of the frame (with a little more adjustment to the frame it will be dead center). I am still learning P/I tuning with the KK2, but it flies good for now and it's only gonna get better with the more I learn about this board!
heli-yeah is offline Find More Posts by heli-yeah
Last edited by heli-yeah; Oct 23, 2012 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Kilroy Was Here!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:18 PM
Joined Jul 2012
7 Posts
Made a short movie today of my Tri.... Yaw mechanism broke down.... plastic servo arm broke...
Enjoy the movie, (we're still learning how to fly)

exploringtheoptions (3 min 42 sec)

this is an old vid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRVRV...ture=endscreen
Last edited by delanghe; Oct 19, 2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: applying old video
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:20 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,706 Posts
Here are a few pictures of another one of my designs I have named Sweptback because of the configuration of the forward arms. The arms are swept to remove the props from the camera's view and because of this, other modifications had to be made to align the Center of thrust with the Center of Gravity. Original, this was a Tricopter design however I found this V-Tail configuration to be much more efficient.

Sweptback-II Low Altitude Testing (2 min 44 sec)

The mission of this copter is to carry a camera payload to a predetermined altitude and location, hover about, then return home. So none of my video will be about proving how well this design can handle 3D or Sport Flying. First rounds of testings looks very promising, nice and stable in mild winds, gust about 10-14mph. In this video, only the Gyro and Accelerometer are used. Next rounds of testing will include GPS and Altitude holding.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:16 PM
Joined Jul 2012
7 Posts
@rimshotcopter: looks great... pretty stable
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,706 Posts
Thank you.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:03 AM
Newnan, GA
Joined Oct 2002
2,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
Here are a few pictures of another one of my designs I have named Sweptback because of the configuration of the forward arms. The arms are swept to remove the props from the camera's view and because of this, other modifications had to be made to align the Center of thrust with the Center of Gravity. Original, this was a Tricopter design however I found this V-Tail configuration to be much more efficient.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-cZpvOf2cw

The mission of this copter is to carry a camera payload to a predetermined altitude and location, hover about, then return home. So none of my video will be about proving how well this design can handle 3D or Sport Flying. First rounds of testings looks very promising, nice and stable in mild winds, gust about 10-14mph. In this video, only the Gyro and Accelerometer are used. Next rounds of testing will include GPS and Altitude holding.
Rimshot,

Those look really cool and it seems to be flying very well too. I have knocked this idea around a bit myself. What size motors are you using and what is the distance between motors? Also, what controller are you using?
Matt Chester is offline Find More Posts by Matt Chester
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:44 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Chester View Post
Rimshot,

Those look really cool and it seems to be flying very well too. I have knocked this idea around a bit myself. What size motors are you using and what is the distance between motors? Also, what controller are you using?
The front motors are RCTimers 3536 900kv with APC 14" props, the rear motors at 1100kv with apc 8". I believe measurements are 40" on version one and 32 on version two, it has been awhile.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:09 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2012
378 Posts
My first scratch built copter,
Kind of 'borrowed' influences from RCexplorer and blueskyrc's wooden tri.
500mm motor to motor,
10mm aluminium arms, 2.5mm fibreglass plates.
KK2 control board, plush 25a esc, carbonbird 775kv motors, GWS9050 props,
Folds away for transport,
RCexplorer/renatoa yaw setup.

weight without battery is around 600grams

This is my first tri after only flying a few quads for the last six months, the yaw speed has blown me away, SO damn fast
Haven't really played with the settings yet but it flys pretty well straight off with defaults so far,
It feels so much floatier/light in the air compared to my quad, really nice feeling.

Has tons of pep with the 9050s on, 8x4.5s felt a bit limp.

put around 10packs through it so far but haven't got a voltage alarm yet and can't be arsed to strip my spektrum receiver/telemetry off my quad so don't know how long a flight times I'm getting, maybe next week.

Need to make the earplug mounted gopro/camera mount plate next week and get my 5.8 gear on board but I'm super happy with how it flys so far.

jimbob69 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob69
Last edited by jimbob69; Oct 21, 2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: weight added
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:02 PM
Newnan, GA
Joined Oct 2002
2,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob69 View Post
My first scratch built copter,
Kind of 'borrowed' influences from RCexplorer and blueskyrc's wooden tri.
500mm motor to motor,
10mm aluminium arms, 2.5mm fibreglass plates.
KK2 control board, plush 25a esc, carbonbird 775kv motors, GWS9050 props,
Folds away for transport,
RCexplorer/renatoa yaw setup.

weight without battery is around 600grams

This is my first tri after only flying a few quads for the last six months, the yaw speed has blown me away, SO damn fast
Haven't really played with the settings yet but it flys pretty well straight off with defaults so far,
It feels so much floatier/light in the air compared to my quad, really nice feeling.

Has tons of pep with the 9050s on, 8x4.5s felt a bit limp.

put around 10packs through it so far but haven't got a voltage alarm yet and can't be arsed to strip my spektrum receiver/telemetry off my quad so don't know how long a flight times I'm getting, maybe next week.
Very nice. I like the smiley face, that's classic. I too started with quads, but always had the suspicion that I would like tri's better, and I do. Like you said, the yaw control is wayyyyy different, kinda like a hybrid between a heli and a typical airplane. Quads are fun, but for LOS flying, tris and Tees rule.
Matt Chester is offline Find More Posts by Matt Chester
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:35 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2012
378 Posts
thanks,

i built this as a bit of a basher to be fair,

after stacking my scarab quad into the ground a few times lately i got fed up with carbon explosions and too many M2 allen screws so built something a little cheaper, more durable and easier to repair in the field, no one wants to go home with a sack full of full lipos do they,

ran it today with Hallstudio's settings and bloody hell that's a handful!!!!!!! tuned the stick scaling back a bit and it's still pretty wild but WOW the snap turns are just great, got a day off tomorrow so gonna run a boatload of batts through it and get more of a feel for it,

might try shorter arms too, that's the joy off the cable tie setup, you can just move the motors in to see if you like it, great way to find your sweet spot.

i'm going to do a wooden H-quad really soon too i think, git a CC3D in the post that needs a home
jimbob69 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob69