HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:31 PM
The Engineer
Singapore
Joined Dec 2009
610 Posts
60W shld be fine! I do that with a 20/200W without needing to push that extra button.

What helps will be melting some solder on the thicker part of the tip and bring it to the bullet.

Perhap you shld drop off solder on the bullet and wire side first. As much as needed but not a blob of ball formed.

Then with the hot solder clinging onto the gun now, make use of the hot solder to transfer the heat to the bullet (becoz the bullet has bigger volume to absorb the heat faster), rather than relying on the heat from the tip to heat up the bullet to melt the solder.

The melting solder carries almost the same temp as the tip but transfer the heat to the bullet more effectively then jus the tip alone as it is in liquid state. Try again..
prodriverex is offline Find More Posts by prodriverex
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:09 AM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
1,964 Posts
One other thing about soldering is that the tip of the iron has to be good. When the iron is hot and you melt some solder on the tip, the solder should flow and "wet" the tip. If the solder just forms a blob and doesn't flow out, you may as well forget it- you'll just be frustrated trying to solder with a tip like that.

Buy a new tip, learn how to tin and clean it, and it'll last a long time and give you nice results.
2400RDR is online now Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:16 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
That's the point, it was an 18w that was claiming to be "equivalent to" a 60w, if I had a 60w the thing would be wired up by now. I hate marketing. The only connecter that I could not do was the huge 8awg on the battery, it just wicked the heat too quickly to get the job done.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:13 PM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
1,964 Posts
This conversation made me curious, so I went out to look at the iron I use for my heavy soldering- wiring harnesses, soldering Dean's connectors to 12 AWG wire and so forth. I was sure that it was a 35 watt, but it turned out to be a 25 watt iron. It does have a large chisel type tip.This iron does those heavy tasks no problem.

If you're going to be doing soldering, you really need to bite the bullet and get a good iron like a Weller and some decent tips that are sized for the job you're doing.

Rick
2400RDR is online now Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:16 PM
THE PUBLIC IS THE PROBLEM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2012
3,293 Posts
This is the soldering Iron I use:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/60W-Solderin...item3a73bbd784

Came to me in a couple days, and has been working great! It heats up in a couple minutes, and makes soldering a very quick job! You have to be quick, or else you're going to mess up whatever your soldering (unless its heavy gauge).

The XT60 connectors I am usually very quick with. I tin the wire ends, and the connector, then let them cool. Then i'll hit them quick with the soldering iron to combine the two.

I need a 20-25w or something adjustable because you cannot solder to PCB boards with this thing.

This is the next Soldering station I want to buy: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Im just upset I didn't buy one when they were in stock. I saw this exact same model, under a different brand name, for $119 at my local Fry's Electronics. Too bad too, cause Fry's will match Internet Prices, however I doubt they'll honor the price of another Brand.
subaru4wd is offline Find More Posts by subaru4wd
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:11 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
I got it soldered this afternoon, even got one full pack through it before I did a tumble and bent one of my alu arms. Electronics are fine and I'm going to bang it out tonight and see if its salvageable. In the market for a frame that takes 11 props. As much as scratchbuilding can be fun, flying is more fun. :-)
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:56 PM
The Engineer
Singapore
Joined Dec 2009
610 Posts
11? How so? Must be a big one coming!
prodriverex is offline Find More Posts by prodriverex
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Yep, frame is a loss, time to rebuild. Electronics are fine, but two of the motor mounts were loose and needed to be tightened. Not going to stay up all night, I have a marathon to run in the morning.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:58 PM
THE PUBLIC IS THE PROBLEM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2012
3,293 Posts
This is why I didn't decide to drill holes in my alum. arms.
subaru4wd is offline Find More Posts by subaru4wd
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:19 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Next up, h quad build, but unfortunatly I need my sleep tonight.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:11 PM
------------------------
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Jan 2012
933 Posts
Good luck on the Marathon brontide. What time are you going for?

I have been working on a few more frames this weekend...

The bigger one has 10" props with Tiger AT2216 1250kv motors and will run off a pair of 3s batteries. The small one in progress is an idea for running 8" props on 4s with the same motors. I am trying to build the smallest quad that can carry all the stereo camera and FPV gear. Although small it will still weigh about 1.8kg

cheers....phil
Captain3D is offline Find More Posts by Captain3D
Last edited by Captain3D; Oct 07, 2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:15 AM
Flying Foamies
Philippines, NCR, Makati City
Joined Jun 2012
793 Posts
Ditch the CD casing use a plastic RC Car body it would look perfect for a covering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain3D View Post
Good luck on the Marathon brontide. What time are you going for?

I have been working on a few more frames this weekend...

The bigger one has 10" props with Tiger AT2216 1250kv motors and will run off a pair of 3s batteries. The small one in progress is an idea for running 8" props on 4s with the same motors. I am trying to build the smallest quad that can carry all the stereo camera and FPV gear. Although small it will still weigh about 1.8kg

cheers....phil
speedactyl is offline Find More Posts by speedactyl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Philippnes Materials Available
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:13 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
3:32:22, not as fast as I had hoped, but still a personal record.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:28 AM
making crashing a lifestyle!
The Netherlands, UT, Soest
Joined Feb 2012
1,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedactyl View Post
Ditch the CD casing use a plastic RC Car body it would look perfect for a covering.
+1!

those frames look like they were made for that!
dutchcommando is offline Find More Posts by dutchcommando
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:27 AM
------------------------
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Jan 2012
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
3:32:22, not as fast as I had hoped, but still a personal record.
Nice. I am going to make another attempt at breaking 3:00 at LA in March, It is proving elusive :-)

About the CD case...I love the geeky home made look of that round case. But do you have some examples of quads with car bodies?
Captain3D is offline Find More Posts by Captain3D