HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined May 2012
65 Posts
Build Log
ARTTECH/HOBBYKING PITTS,foam scratch build

hello pilots.this scratch build is based around the shape of the arttech or HK pitts.the foam i use is the foamboard from walmart.and i remove the paper from both sides.the technique im using is one that i hope will be successful in all areas of flight.some parts/tail feathers etc,is 2pcs laminate that is roughly 9to10mm depending on expansion of gorilla glue.also are sanded to airfoil.the wings are a 2pcs type of build up to a airfoil.my goal is to get input from everyone and eventually make a kit that is cheap easy to build and fun to fly.with the down turn in the new home sales.ive gone from extra money for the hobby to extra money for the electric bill.
on this my first is the arttech pitts. with close to 35in, extra in the wing area and alot less weight.it should fly nicely.so please feel free to comment give input,and use any or all of what you like.i hope to end up with a package that would sell cheaper than you could go out and buy the foam.
thanx and enjoy
flyrcusa is offline Find More Posts by flyrcusa
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:35 PM
Joined May 2012
65 Posts
the pic showing on 1st post is a mockup to place the struts.they will be 10mm foam with a air foil shape to min, drag
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined May 2012
65 Posts
finished and ready to assemble
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined May 2012
65 Posts
bottom of wing with 3/16 spar.possible serious overkill on pins
Old Aug 18, 2012, 08:56 PM
Joined May 2012
65 Posts
WING caps pretty straight forward.i was worried that the tops would warp the wing from bending over the spar,but i used the screen spline roller to kinda score it at the spar.then kinda helped it take shape before glueing
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:11 PM
Joined May 2012
65 Posts
the fuse sides are simple also.the doublers are identical for each side except the aft.doubler at the tail feathers is only on one side.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:21 AM
What goes up must come down..
Canada, QC, Saint-Laurent
Joined Jan 2002
1,724 Posts
is this thread still active?
rodair is online now Find More Posts by rodair
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:06 PM
Joined May 2012
65 Posts
Yes,im very sorry.my computer has been in the shop.will have the rest of the build up soon.thanx
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:55 PM
Joined May 2012
65 Posts
im getting close to fuse asembly,and time to start thinking of push rods,servo tray,and batt tray or how ever you perfer to secure your batt.this is kit v2.when v3 is ready all off these issue will be ironed out.but as always to each his own.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:57 PM
Joined May 2012
65 Posts
im charging my camera batts now and will have this thread rolling again soon.sorry for the delays.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined May 2012
65 Posts
IN these pic's you see the F/2 doubler for the aft fuse.doubler is only glued to one side,and before glueing.i sand it down from 5mm to 1 to 2mm at the rear to follow the lines of the aft fuse.the extra F/2 you see just below is just a extra.in the kit it will come with 2 of everything.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:17 PM
Joined May 2012
65 Posts
here is the push rod guides for the tail feathers.a little sloppy, but its a prototype and im getting used to gorilla glue.it seems to be a awesome all around glue.i brought the tubes out at around 5/8' belowe ele.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined May 2012
65 Posts
fdw,fuse tail mockup
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:02 AM
What goes up must come down..
Canada, QC, Saint-Laurent
Joined Jan 2002
1,724 Posts
Very nice! :-)
rodair is online now Find More Posts by rodair
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined May 2012
65 Posts
thanx rodair.sorry things are slow.im now on the V4.this one in the thread is V3.same build but with a few up grades.now instead of dowels in the wing spars.im useing aluminum arrows.archery arrows.this weight to strength is very nice and i am going to do a follow after i put the last few post on this thread.the arrows also give it a nice foil slightly thicker.which does give extra lift.thanx again