HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:53 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined May 2010
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
They recommend a c3528 870kv motor for the masala....but i noticed thats a outrunner motor....is it possible to use a outrunner in s glider like this?...i thought gliders was suppose to use inrunners.....that c3528 is a e-flite motor when i looked it up on google......i just want to find the right motor.....i want a motor thwt will run on 3s but if your experience shows a 4s would be more practical then please advise and why u advise...
I have put Outrunners in all of my gliders with great success. This combo will work well for this glider you would be very pleased with power range on this set-up.

I have two gliders in that weight range. Both have an Eflite Power 25 870kv This motor will do the job as well http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=14401 in them running on a 60 ESC and a 4s battery 12-6 prop folder. Will climb out easy and be at 600ft-200m in 15-20 seconds

F3J / F5J Sailplane.
Wing Span : 3485mm ( 137.5 in. )
Length : 1630 mm ( 64 in. )
Weight (as “pure” sailplane mfgr.’s figure ) : 1985 g ( 70 oz. )
All-up weight with electric drive : 2720 g ( 95 oz. )
Wing area : 75 dm2 ( 1162 sq.in.)
Wing loading : 32.6 g/dm2 ( 11.8 oz/sq.ft. )
Airfoil : HN 92-285-935

Controls :
Ailerons
Camber-changing flaps
Elevator
Rudder
Electronic speed control
Links To original web sites
WallsRoofing71 is online now Find More Posts by WallsRoofing71
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:59 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
694 Posts
That link u gave does not work. I would like to see that hobbyking motor....can u provide a corrected link?
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined May 2010
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
That link u gave does not work. I would like to see that hobbyking motor....can u provide a corrected link?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_870kv_.html
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined May 2010
391 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...EasyMatch.html This link is to the Easy match page
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,829 Posts
Outrunners in a sailplane.

Hi again, rhampton.

Most sailplane pilots now use outrunners because they tend to be lighter and less expensive than an inrunner. Inrunners are now mostly used in very high power applications where weight is less of a concern. One does, however, need to make sure that said outrunner fits with enough clearance to avoid the motor's can from rubbing the wires and shorting the power system.

Here's a picture of my Specter that shows how I used a piece of thin plywood and some glue to keep the wires out of harm's way.

Cheers!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:57 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
694 Posts
yes, that's what i did with my last glider..good idea peterlngh...
well i decided to go with this motor..someone on this forum had this in his build photos..
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-mars-b...60a-combo.html
Price is good too. So can someone confirm if this motor will work? i'm about ready to place my order but before i do i need to know for sure what will work.. Cant afford to buy a motor that wont fit..so i think this would be the best power package...clink on link and let me know..
Also what servos do you recommend for Ailerons, Elevator Rudder and Flaps..does it have to be the best? i'm on budget and not looking to get real expensive...
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,829 Posts
I can't give a recommendation on the specific motor but the specs look about right. At 770kv you would probably need to go with at least a 4cell battery and/or a heckofa big prop.

I guess I can't recommend a specific servo either but I have a couple 12g metal gear Corona's from HobbyPartz and I love them. They are fast, quiet, and center very well. They would be too small for the Masala but I would not hesitate to buy others from their line. I also have a selection of small servos from HobbyKing and I love them too. (I'm a big fan of metal geared servos and consider them mandatory for flaps that might be dragged through the grass.) On a plane the size of the Masala I would consider @3kg.cm to be the bare minimum torque. 4kg.cm or more would probably be better. The best advice I can give is to look through the available servos in that power range and then pick the one that gets the best reviews in your price range. Some people consider any servo under $100.00 to be a budget servo while people like me are generally looking for something under $20.00.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:35 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,804 Posts
I wouldn't hold out on servos. This is a big big plane. Buy some good quality servos (its a must).
I would buy servos 16g and up METAL (ofcourse).
rclab1 is online now Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:17 PM
Quebec Aerotow Association
Canada, QC, st-jean-sur-richelieu
Joined May 2010
597 Posts
The servos I'm using are the HD 1711mg. (ailerons and flaps).
http://www.alofthobbies.com/hd-1711mg.html

For the rudder and elevator: HS-225mg
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-Mighty/Detail

Go with 4s. I have a 3300mah and a 4000mah. You wouldn't believe what differnce 1s can make.

My gliderman on 4s goes up vertical.
Charlescd is offline Find More Posts by Charlescd
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:09 AM
Joined May 2010
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlescd View Post
The servos I'm using are the HD 1711mg. (ailerons and flaps).
http://www.alofthobbies.com/hd-1711mg.html

For the rudder and elevator: HS-225mg
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-Mighty/Detail

Go with 4s. I have a 3300mah and a 4000mah. You wouldn't believe what differnce 1s can make.

My gliderman on 4s goes up vertical.
My gliderman on 4s goes up vertical too I have the same set-up as the one I listed above
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:24 PM
FLY FOR FUN - GLIDE FOR LOVE
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2011
51 Posts
about the masala

Hi, i wanna buy the Masala but after all i wanna be sure about the wingloading because where i live i realy need a good thermal glider and i need your help with this data please .
Thank you.
pablo pinto is offline Find More Posts by pablo pinto
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:20 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
694 Posts
i actually havent purchased it yet either..i still see it on Nitro planes and price went up $20..what's stopping me from getting it is the weight...85oz ARF weight....that's pretty heavy..that means once i put a motor, esc and 3s i'm looking at over 100oz...I just sold a glider (136" WS) solely because of the weight....it was 110ioz and was heavy..There's just no way i'm launch that type of weight over my shoulder...just looking for back pain....if anyone can prove me wrong i'll get it, but as far as i can see from specs,,,it already Shows 85oz ARF weight...
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:25 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2011
51 Posts
Masala

I agree with you rhampton , is too much weight i have a Blizzard with 3.4 meters and 78 oz and the performance is fine not so great but handle thermals with good spedd and lift good, and i really worry the weight is why the wing loading is important some of my friends say under 11oz per sq in is good and over this mark is bad can anybody confirm this please .
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:35 PM
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined May 2003
1,305 Posts
Maybe I missed it, what is the wing loading of the completed Masala?

The thing to keep in mind is weight or wing loading is a poor way to compare unless you are truly comparing apples to apples. For instance a 4oz wing loading on a DLG is great, but would make for a too-slow 4m ship. Just as 14oz wing loading on a 4m ship isn't too bad, but would make a DLG a brick. The other caveat to that is the airfoil used. For instance the RG-15 airfoil is a very good performer, but wouldn't be at a 4oz wing loading as it needs to move fast. But an RG-15 at a 12oz loading would still have a much better glide ratio than say a Clark-Y at 4oz.

So depends on a great many things, including how *you* like to fly.
rcsoar4fun is online now Find More Posts by rcsoar4fun
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:08 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2011
51 Posts
Is a very good point of view from the performance nice coment rcsoar4fun, i understand each one have diferents preferences in fly and some times others needs more challenge , i ask about the wing loadinng because always used this data and was very acurrate for me , and if you check in the page of nitroplanes the masala do not give the airfoil they used on this glider , is not much information to make the decicion to buy, is the same case of my firend in this post rhampton how do not decide yet because some times you really need this info more than a good review when anybody have diferents skills to fly.
Is not a big deal just to be a little more sure in the first fly because you have a great espectation how is going to work , like the way how much movement you have to put in the surfaces like ailerons and elevator the manufacter give you some recomendations and you have to adjust the best way for you, but in this case is not information about it.
I just need it for a personal preference to decide , i apreciate your coments and i hope if will fly the masala share my experience with you, i am so close to do the clik in the "do the pay now "