WallsRoofing71 is offline Find More Posts by WallsRoofing71
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:29 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlescd View Post
I have the glider here and at first look it seems I hit the jackpot. I'll be posting pictures and making a build thread.
Can you upload Photos.. I plane on getting this glider and need advice and need to see a photo of a built version so i can get a better idea what it looks like..So if someone can upload a photo with the wings on i would greatly appreciate it. Or a video link so i can see it fly.
Thanks...
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:32 PM
Quebec Aerotow Association
Canada, QC, st-jean-sur-richelieu
Joined May 2010
571 Posts
Hi guys,
I just re-started tonight. I'll try and do a bit every week. Here it's -14c and snowing so the Masala is not going out for 5 months. I won't fly this in winter weather. I have othe planes for that.

This wing panel has the most wrinkles but nothing a heat gun cannot take care of.
Charlescd is offline Find More Posts by Charlescd
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:20 AM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Thanks for the update...i Finally found some videos on this Masala...I think this is the same Glider..Correct me if i'm wrong please...took a while to find it but here it is..there's a quite a few on the Tube.
マサラで土手ソア 大宮田んぼRCグライダークラブ139 (2 min 49 sec)

OK模型マサラフライト 大宮田んぼRCグライダークラブ134 (4 min 0 sec)
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:41 AM
Joined May 2010
571 Posts
That's the Ok models Masala. I'm 90% sure that it's the same glider.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:48 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,251 Posts
I am still very jealous. I have tried 4 or 5 times to order the Masala shipped to Canada, but I think yours is the only one that made it past the Nitroplanes screening. dammit
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:28 PM
Joined May 2010
571 Posts
I have to work on getting the wrinkles out. I think it's the temperature change as the wing panel wasn't this bad when i got it.

Flap servo all covered up. I attached the outer wing panel and sealed into place with Vinyl covering. I have a cargo box so a one piece wing will be easy to carry and easier to setup at the field.

Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:41 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
ok i'm about to purchase this glider and need advise...so i hope one of you can address my concerns for i really like this one and want to order but only as soon as i have my questions answered.
1. is this glider easy to put together as an electric package? ( days? weeks? )
2. is this motor and esc combo good? -- http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-mars-b...60a-combo.html
3. I have a Diamond 2500 glider from nitro planes and it's 98" Wing Span....i notice this Masala is 137" Wing Span...so is that a noticeably difference in size compared to 98" i wanted a really big Glider but if it's only going to be a tab bit bigger than mine then i dont want it....my picture of my glider is below...can you judge by photo and tell if this Masala is much bigger than mine?
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined May 2010
571 Posts
Hi,
Yes the glider goes easily together. The instructions are pretty good and if you have any building experience, it will go together easily.

The motor will bolt right up and on 4s it will have approximately 500 watts. That's more than enough.

You'll see a difference at 3.5 meters. If you have someone at the field with a 3.5m, put it side by side.

I heard the Diamond 2500 was pretty good. Do you like it and does it fly well?
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:27 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
yes i flies very nice.. here's some videos for you to see...but now i want to move on to a more performance Glider with a little more of a piercing thru the wind and a bit more speed. I know this will give me a lot more experience than a foamy glider..am i right on that? Will it fly better than a Foamy?
Also that motor combo. i really wanted to keep this Glider lite....Can i use a 3s? with that Motor combo? i really didnt want to use a 4s...Maybe there's a different motor with a higher KV? maybe? can u send me a link to a Motor, Esc combo that will "FIT" that will allow me to use a 3s?

Art Tech Diamond 2500 nitro planes (4 min 3 sec)

Nitro Planes Diamond 2500 (3 min 0 sec)
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:31 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,507 Posts
Hi, rhampton.

Yes. The Masala will look quite a bit bigger than the Diamond.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:41 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
i guess if i had to determine how big it is, i can go by the previous glider i had. I had an old Vintage Soarcraft kessler. it was 136" Wing Span but the Wings Folded tooooooo much while in Flight..i HATED that look.....watch video...Looks like the Wings are going to snap off...lol...i guess that's how the glider is designed but i wanted a glider similar in size and NEWER that doesnt have that look where the Wings will fold that much....i wanted a little Dihedral but not that much...The Wings on the Masala look like they will be more performance and stay straight i imagine.....is that true and based on the size of that glider, will the masala look similar in size? or smaller...
Soarcraft kestrel Glider PT 2 (1 min 49 sec)
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:08 AM
Joined May 2010
389 Posts
I have two gliders in that weight range. Both have an Eflite Power 25 870kv This motor will do the job as well http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=14401 in them running on a 60 ESC and a 4s battery 12-6 prop folder. Will climb out easy and be at 600ft-200m in 15-20 seconds

F3J / F5J Sailplane.
Wing Span : 3485mm ( 137.5 in. )
Length : 1630 mm ( 64 in. )
Weight (as “pure” sailplane mfgr.’s figure ) : 1985 g ( 70 oz. )
All-up weight with electric drive : 2720 g ( 95 oz. )
Wing area : 75 dm2 ( 1162 sq.in.)
Wing loading : 32.6 g/dm2 ( 11.8 oz/sq.ft. )
Airfoil : HN 92-285-935

Controls :
Ailerons
Camber-changing flaps
Elevator
Rudder
Electronic speed control
Links To original web sites
http://www.mkrusa.com/Cumulus_engl.htm
http://www.mkrusa.com/cumulus_building.htm This is the set up I have in
WallsRoofing71 is offline Find More Posts by WallsRoofing71
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:31 AM
Joined May 2010
571 Posts
The Alpina and Cumulus are 2 very nice gliders !!!

From what i can tell so far from the Masala wings, they won't fold under normal flying and mild aerobatics.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:37 AM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
They recommend a c3528 870kv motor for the masala....but i noticed thats a outrunner motor....is it possible to use a outrunner in s glider like this?...i thought gliders was suppose to use inrunners.....that c3528 is a e-flite motor when i looked it up on google......i just want to find the right motor.....i want a motor thwt will run on 3s but if your experience shows a 4s would be more practical then please advise and why u advise...