SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:11 PM
Quebec Aerotow Association
Canada, QC, st-jean-sur-richelieu
Joined May 2010
579 Posts
I replaced the order to see what would happen and guess what !!! They shipped it!!!

They either got tired of me or they shipped it in a different box. Atleast the usps is marking - Electronic Shipping Info Received.

I'll keep everyone posted.
Charlescd is offline Find More Posts by Charlescd
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:42 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,394 Posts
Ok I ordered one also. Hope it actually arrives. Still thinking about a power package.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:34 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,592 Posts
Glad to hear that your plane was shipped, Charles. I still suspect that they didn't have them in stock and are ordering them when someone places an order. I sure hope it flies as good as it looks and is worth the aggravation.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined May 2010
579 Posts
I have the glider here and at first look it seems I hit the jackpot. I'll be posting pictures and making a build thread.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,592 Posts
Good for you. At least they don't dawdle once they decide to ship it out! She's just a bit large for my regular flying field but, at that price, I could justify the expense for my "out of town" glider that I only fly once a month or so. Keep us posted.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:04 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,394 Posts
OK TGY_DEL_PB - Turnigy dlux Programming Box w/Data Logg.. $9.91 155
OK TGY_DEL70A - Turnigy dlux 70A SBEC Brushless Speed Co.. $29.71 110
OK NTM3548-900 - NTM Prop Drive 35-48 Series 900KV / 815W $21.30 199
OK 45FPSPIN - 45mm Alloy folding Prop Spinner with 3.1.. $8.39 65

I am thinking of the above power package for the Masala

I have had good experience with the 55A DLUX ESC, so figured this is a safe bet for this motor. will run a 13x6 carbon prop,perhaps Graupner blades

Nitroplanes says a 35mm dia motor will fit, so why not get an outrunner like this? up to 800A w 4S, or 600+A on 3S

After a day at the glider club with my Cularis-knock-off, I really envied the 3metre planes for their lighter wing load, easier to see, and just plane sexy looks. But the Masala at half the price ... nice enough savings that I bought a nice EDF jet as well.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:22 PM
Spool 'er up!
United States, FL, Oxford
Joined Mar 2010
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlescd View Post
I have the glider here and at first look it seems I hit the jackpot. I'll be posting pictures and making a build thread.
Glad your persistence paid off and you finally got the Masala. Thus far, sounds like a really smokin' deal on a 3.5m sailplane kit. Subscribed to this thread and eagerly awaiting your build pics + flight review!
Paul1PA is offline Find More Posts by Paul1PA
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:42 PM
Groundloop World Champion
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jan 2002
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1PA View Post
Glad your persistence paid off and you finally got the Masala. Thus far, sounds like a really smokin' deal on a 3.5m sailplane kit. Subscribed to this thread and eagerly awaiting your build pics + flight review!
Me too

Old_dude
old_dude is offline Find More Posts by old_dude
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:00 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
780 Posts
Just went to the reviews section of Nitroplanes and one reviewer claims it's an "OEM versions of the Masala" from OK models from the same mold etc. Can anyone verify this? I'm poised to checkout with one already
8thelephant is online now Find More Posts by 8thelephant
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:21 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,394 Posts
well seems I struck out

Dear Customer,

Quote:
This is an automated response that does not accept incoming emails.
Please do not reply to this email.
For order support, please visit http://help.rcdiscuss.com/

This email is concerning your NitroPlanes order number yhst-17210252890263-302047. We have cancelled your order because the items 23A05-MASALA-Kit are not available for international shipping (over 40 inches). There is no charge to your credit card account. We are sorry for any inconveniences.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply via
this email address.

Best Regards,
NitroPlanes
I envy those folks who managed to get one, maybe try the phone...
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Oct 03, 2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:55 PM
Groundloop World Champion
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jan 2002
1,178 Posts
See post #15 by Charlescd. Do you specify UPS ???
old_dude is offline Find More Posts by old_dude
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:02 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dude View Post
See post #15 by Charlescd. Do you specify UPS ???
in the check out the only shipping choice to me in Canada is .. USPS.

Was on hold for 20 minutes and hung up. Sent a support ticket instead but no reply yet. I said send it by any method they can use, like UPS, USPS, Fedex. Really close to calling up ICare for a big dollar model now...
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:25 PM
Joined May 2010
579 Posts
The way i finally got my order shipped is that i opened a support ticket, complained about 20 times, called, etc....

Then one day instead of using the guest check out (*which I've always done), I decided to use the google/facebook check out. Bingo - order shipped.

The box is 61.5 inches long x 15 inches wide x 8 inches high. Weight: 10lbs.

My box was shipped via U.S.P.S : Priority Mail International Parcels is what is written on the tracking info when i check it online.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:01 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,394 Posts
OK, just submitted a new order through that exact method. thanks!
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined May 2010
579 Posts
Hi guys,
I started a review on the Quebec Aerotow Association website. You can check it out here.
http://www.quebecaerotowassociation.com/

In all fairness to RCgroups. I'll be copying everything as I go along here.

Here is part 1 with the Manual.

After having some problems getting the sailplane shipped to me in Canada. I finally received it on September 26th 2012. I ignore if there really exists a problem concerning the box size with U.S.P.S. All I know is that I received several e-mails cancelling my order because the box was over 40 inches in length. After some persistence, several phone calls and a few support tickets the sailplane got shipped. I must admit that I had given up and even started shopping for another model. The main problem was that all of the recommended hardware was already purchased from Hobbypartz - the sister company of Nitroplanes. Hopefully this scenario did not happen and everything ended well.
The actual box measurements are 61.5 inches long x 15 inches wide x 8 inches high. Approximate weight is 10 lbs. I've had larger and heavier boxes shipped from the U.S to Canada but that was several years ago and certain companies may have put some limitations since then. A good example is Lipo Batteries.
The box came in perfect condition and is very well packaged. The sailplane will not suffer any damages from normal shipping conditions. The fuselage is held in place by 2 small boxes at each extremity. This keeps the fuselage in the center of the box away from dents and at the same time the small boxes contain the hardware required to complete the Masala. Each wing section was individually packed in a plastic bag. The hard ware is also split amongst several bags and at first glance seems to be very good quality.
On the Nitroplanes review thread there are several mentions of this sailplane being the OK Models Masala or it being the V-Pro Masala. I have not seen any info or parts at this point that would let me believe that this is made directly by OK Models for Nitroplanes. In any case... It's an amazing clone if it's not made by them because it sure looks the part.
Last edited by Charlescd; Jun 12, 2013 at 11:56 AM.