Joined Aug 2009
8,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsail View Post

there was a whole article about this-but-I screwed up the copy/paste thing and
now cannot post it..........
if someone else can,please do ?
I did get the picture that went with the story
(AP) BOSTON - The world's oldest commissioned warship will sail under its own power for just the second time in more than a century to commemorate the battle that won it the nickname "Old Ironsides."

The USS Constitution, which was first launched in 1797, will be tugged from its berth in Boston Harbor on Sunday to the main deepwater pathway into the harbor. It will then set out to open seas for a 10-minute cruise.

The short trip marks the day two centuries ago when the Constitution bested the British frigate HMS Guerriere in a fierce battle during the War of 1812. It follows a three-year restoration project and is the first time the Constitution has been to sea on its own since its 200th birthday in 1997.

Before that, it hadn't sailed under its own power since 1881. The Constitution is periodically tugged into the harbor for historical display.

Chief Petty Officer Frank Neely, a Constitution spokesman and crew member, said the crew wants to honor and preserve the Constitution with Sunday's sail.

"This ship is a national icon to us. ... She's very special to us. We think she's very special to the United States," he said.

The Constitution was under the command of Capt. Issac Hull when it engaged the Guerriere off Nova Scotia on Aug. 19, 1812. The young war was not going well for America, which had surrendered Detroit to the British with basically no resistance a week earlier.

But the Guerriere proved no match for the Constitution, which was heavier and longer. The vessels blasted away at each other at close range, even colliding at one point, during the 35-minute battle. The Constitution's 24-pound cannonballs felled the Guerriere's mast, while the British vessels' 18-pound cannonballs had trouble penetrating the Constitution's two-foot thick live oak hull, said Matthew Brenckle, a historian at the USS Constitution Museum.

Brenckle said a sailor's memoirs recorded how one cannonball seemed to slightly penetrate the ship, before dropping into the sea. The sailor then called out the quote that would give the Constitution its nickname, "Huzzah, her sides are made of iron! See where the shot fell out!"

It wasn't the first naval win in what would be a divisive, expensive war, but it set off celebrations around the country, Brenckle said.

"Strategically, it really did nothing to change the course of the war," he said. "But the morale boost that that provided for the American cause, I think was quite important."

During Sunday's sail, the Constitution's crew of about 65, accompanied by 150 sailors selected to be part of event, will unfurl four of its 36 sails, Neely said. The tugs will stand by as a precaution when the Constitution sails on its own. And the trip can't happen unless the weather conditions are right.

The ship won't move in winds less than five mph and anything over about 15 mph would put too much stress on the vessel, Neely said. But the forecast looks favorable.

The lengthy work in preparation for Sunday's sail was largely on the Constitution's aesthetics, though the masts were restored, Neely said. The crew also underwent extensive training on how to handle a vessel that's unlike any other in the U.S. Navy.

"A lot of hours of work went into this one day right here," Neely said. "I wouldn't be surprised if I broke a couple of tears after this."
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 03:33 PM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
869 Posts
USS Constitution

OK, they did go out Sunday
I nabbed a couple of pics from the on-line article this morning...........
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:55 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,708 Posts
I thought she was more seaworthy than that considering she's still a commissioned vessel. I'll have to check out the wiki

In any case... The brewery I work for is located in the Manchester district of Richmond. And all the streets leading N/S in the neighborhood, essentially, leading down to the James river are named for all the Key figures of the war of 1812.. for example, we are located at the corner of Perry and W.7th street, but often times we will tell people to turn down Porter street and go up a block ( because "Porter" is also the name style of beer)

The MAIN street of the neighborhood is Hull street. etc....

Here is a article from Richmond's Style magazine explaining that history of all that and some short Bios of the guys the streets are named for.

Pretty ruff and tumble crew!

This also further shows that my hometown was more than just the capital of the confederacy and home to the countries greatest collection of second place trophies.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:16 PM
Behind the curve in Rock Hill
United States, SC, Rock Hill
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
She may be commissioned, but she is OLD. You get into that whole preservation vs reconstruction thing. I believe the powers that be went for the former. So with that in mind it's a miracle she can sail at all.
jzami is offline Find More Posts by jzami
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:59 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,708 Posts
Oh I know she's very, very old... just for some reason I thought she made regular appearances at tall ship shows, and what not, And that her special duty crew of sailors were actively trained in the operation of such a vessel.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 03:08 PM
Behind the curve in Rock Hill
United States, SC, Rock Hill
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
Only sailed 3 times since 1881. Are you thinking of the Coast Guard Eagle? They do a ton of Tall Ship events.
jzami is offline Find More Posts by jzami
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:22 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,708 Posts
that is the one I was thinking about, but for some reason I thought the constitution would take part in parades as well...

we got replicas of the jamestown boats here in Virginia, and they travel all the time... they swim up the James from Williamsburg to Richmond all the time, earlier this summer the replicas of Columbus's boats came down from Delaware to visit us.

ahh... yes... the susan constant, godspeed, and discovery.. they are all privately owned by the private tourist trap by the name of the Jamestown discovery center right on the border of the Jamestown historical site.
Jamestown island, where the actually dig is part of the national park service, so therefore my Duck stamp gets me in for free.. the tourist trap thing around the corner with the replica boats? not so much.
when I get some gumption to drive the hour and half, pay the admission fee and breathe freely in the cheese, I'll take lots of big pics of those boats for the scale folks.