HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:44 AM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,266 Posts
Discussion
How do I take a picture of nothing?

I'm having the most ridiculous discussion with Hobby King's CS by email. I ordered a whole whack of stuff - some 300 lines on the order. They did a pretty good job really. Overall, I'm surprised there weren't more mistakes. But there were mistakes!

I ordered 4 bags of little horns. They sent 3.
I ordered 1 8mm carbon fiber tube. They sent 2.

The weight balances out (plus we're only talking a few grams here).

So first they tell me to prove it by taking a picture of everything on a scale showing the weight. Whatever, I oblige. But then they respond saying they can't see the missing item.

huh?

They ask me to take a photo of the missing item.

WHAT??

So I take a photo of the 3 bags of horns and tell them one is missing, "I ordered 4". She responds in all caps:
Quote:
WE NEED A PICTURE OF THE MISSING ONE
Is this a joke? How the *#$@ do I take a picture of something that's not there?

So to illustrate my point, I send a "photo" that was 800 x 600 pixels of white. She responds saying the picture is blank and she can't see the missing item.

Uh huh.

All laughs aside, obviously there's a language barrier issue here... or one of us is just an idiot. Is it me? WT.F am I supposed to send them?!?!

-------------------

On an aside, the only other minor issue was that I ordered 15 meters of servo wire and a meter each of 16AWG wire in red and black. For whatever reason, I measured the red and black wires and found they were 93cm each. Big deal? No certainly not... but then I was curious about the servo wire so I measured it. Carefully. Twice. It was 14.25 meters. That's quite a bit to not send me really. So I mention it. They want a picture of that "by a ruler" to show that it is short.

I says, "pardon?"

Umm... anyone know a site where I can order a fifteen meter long ruler (and no, I won't order it from HK)?

--------------------

Next time I'm at Walmart, I'm gonna give that kid that's half asleep in the electronics department a little more respect.

- Steven
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:47 AM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,266 Posts
Ahh yes... I almost forgot to mention.

They want me to send back the extra carbon rod they sent me. I said sure, provided they pre-paid for the shipping I have no problem with that. I even said I'd take it with me on my trip to the US next week and mail it from the US to their USA warehouse to save them money if they wanted. The response:
Quote:
I'm sorry but the customer must pay the shipping cost for all returns
Fine, I realize that's someone half-reading the emails and giving a canned response, but GIVE ME A FREAKIN BREAK.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:45 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
HK cs in Action?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
I'm having the most ridiculous discussion with Hobby King's CS by email. I ordered a whole whack of stuff - some 300 lines on the order. They did a pretty good job really. Overall, I'm surprised there weren't more mistakes. But there were mistakes!

I ordered 4 bags of little horns. They sent 3.
I ordered 1 8mm carbon fiber tube. They sent 2.

The weight balances out (plus we're only talking a few grams here).

So first they tell me to prove it by taking a picture of everything on a scale showing the weight. Whatever, I oblige. But then they respond saying they can't see the missing item.

huh?

They ask me to take a photo of the missing item.

WHAT??

So I take a photo of the 3 bags of horns and tell them one is missing, "I ordered 4". She responds in all caps:

Is this a joke? How the *#$@ do I take a picture of something that's not there?

So to illustrate my point, I send a "photo" that was 800 x 600 pixels of white. She responds saying the picture is blank and she can't see the missing item.

Uh huh.

All laughs aside, obviously there's a language barrier issue here... or one of us is just an idiot. Is it me? WT.F am I supposed to send them?!?!

-------------------

On an aside, the only other minor issue was that I ordered 15 meters of servo wire and a meter each of 16AWG wire in red and black. For whatever reason, I measured the red and black wires and found they were 93cm each. Big deal? No certainly not... but then I was curious about the servo wire so I measured it. Carefully. Twice. It was 14.25 meters. That's quite a bit to not send me really. So I mention it. They want a picture of that "by a ruler" to show that it is short.

I says, "pardon?"

Umm... anyone know a site where I can order a fifteen meter long ruler (and no, I won't order it from HK)?

--------------------

Next time I'm at Walmart, I'm gonna give that kid that's half asleep in the electronics department a little more respect.

- Steven
What can I say. Ridiculous.
If yoy really want to get the parts you paid for file a claim with Paypal. Time is money. Didn't you waste enough of your time/money.
valanti256 is offline Find More Posts by valanti256
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:08 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,266 Posts
That'll probably at least get their attention But I'm sure by now they know that they'll win a dispute just by proving they shipped something. PayPal really doesn't do much once they give a tracking number that shows "delivered"
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:21 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,488 Posts
It reminds me of the time they shipped me a bad lipo pack. I knew the drill and immediatly took a picture of my $150 professional multimeter taking a voltage reading of each cell along with the battery number and the weight. I posted the required pictures in a support ticket. I got a response almost a week later, the CS rep told me to take photos of the voltage readings and suggest I buy one of their $3.00 lipo monitors to and use that. They never even took the time to look at the pics I sent. After weeks of plying their games, on day 44 I had to file a paypal claim..... THAT got resolution and it got their attention. Paypal made it right, HK merely played games.

They don't read, you get canned responses.

taking a picture of nothing, now that's a new one. LOL.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:07 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,266 Posts
OMG this is hilarious. The latest response:
Quote:
Hehe. No, of course you can't take a picture of an object that does not existence. That is not what Amy means. She means the piece must be there somewhere so can you find it and take a picture please, so we can expedite your claim? Thank you for your understandings and patience
I'm done.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:02 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,488 Posts
Paypal has the option of a partial claim. I had to use that on Hobby King as well. Whatever items are missing, total them up and file a paypal claim for a partial refund for those items. It works as long as you file within the 45 day window as outlined in their terms and conditions of use. Make sure you document everything and put all the info in your paypal dispute.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:14 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,266 Posts
The problem with that... really... is now I don't have the product and I'd have to order it and pay shipping again. Really, they should just suck it up and send me a bag of horns! lol
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:47 PM
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined May 2010
216 Posts
Quote:
omg this is hilarious. The latest response:

I'm done.
classic!!
weimer20 is offline Find More Posts by weimer20
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:50 AM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,864 Posts
Most of their email responses are scripted so I'm not surprise.

But yea...totally ridiculous it's funny.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
Quote:
That'll probably at least get their attention But I'm sure by now they know that they'll win a dispute just by proving they shipped something. PayPal really doesn't do much once they give a tracking number that shows "delivered"
A tracking number doesn't obsolve them.
Paypal has quickly solved problems for me on shipped and delivered orders with tracking numbers. File a claim it's easy and you have nothing to lose. If they ignore the claim (which they often do) you win. Like you said it will at least get their attention, maybe.
valanti256 is offline Find More Posts by valanti256
Last edited by valanti256; Aug 19, 2012 at 11:06 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:58 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanti256 View Post
A tracking number doesn't obsolve them.
Paypal has quickly solved problems for me on shipprd orders orders with tracking numbers. File a claim it's easy and you have nothing to lose. If they ignore the claim (which they often do) you win. Like you said it will at least get their attention, maybe.
showing "shipped" is one thing
showing packaged "shipped" then "delivered" is another.

You sorta missed that point.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:12 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,266 Posts
yeah, a delivered package DOES obsolve them. In many (most) scenarios, they only offer "partial" protection, and that includes only protection from non-shipment. PayPal's protections are largely bogus. Every claim I've ever had regarding an item that wasn't what it should be... has been rejected. Every one. All the seller had to do was provide a tracking number. "What if they send you a box with a brick in it?". I asked that very question, and their answer was that it was a police matter.

I think transactions within the US are probably different. They're willing to go to bat for you more when they know they can sick the dogs on the fraudster and probably get them. But someone in China who (probably legitimately) forgot to pack an item?

- Steven
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:36 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,864 Posts
Quote:
yeah, a delivered package DOES obsolve them. In many (most) scenarios, they only offer "partial" protection, and that includes only protection from non-shipment. PayPal's protections are largely bogus. Every claim I've ever had regarding an item that wasn't what it should be... has been rejected. Every one. All the seller had to do was provide a tracking number. "What if they send you a box with a brick in it?". I asked that very question, and their answer was that it was a police matter.

I think transactions within the US are probably different. They're willing to go to bat for you more when they know they can sick the dogs on the fraudster and probably get them. But someone in China who (probably legitimately) forgot to pack an item?

- Steven
Steven,

I've never had to file a paypal dispute before, but I am ready to file one against rctimer...if you'd like, I'll PM you how that one goes.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1907

Anyhow, valanti256 seems to have a personal thing for HK, so I'd take advice from him with a grain of salt. Just do a search under user's name and you'll see what I mean.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:49 PM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,319 Posts
Anyhow, rcalldaylong seems to have a personal thing for HK, so I'd take advice from him with a grain of salt.
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax