homemade scratchbuilt 70mm corflute edf jet

Well the jet is complete and test flight successful
specs:70mm stock edf
60a esc
1800mah 4s lipo with space for bigger batts
6 9g servos hxt 900
the six servos were used because i wanted to program mix elevator with ailerons
and individual servos for the rudders.
because they are in the thrust line i have alot more control going slow for landing,high alpha maby even a hover with a bit of luck seemed pretty stable when i hoped in for landing"high speed landing not advised unless fuse mods are made"just the build pics for now a video will soon follow .

I would like to hear anybodys opinion on this jet.
thoughts?
AERIAL MADMAN is offline Find More Posts by AERIAL MADMAN
Last edited by AERIAL MADMAN; Nov 21, 2012 at 02:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:03 AM
Corflute Codger
Australia, New South Wales, Fernmount
Joined Feb 2011
581 Posts
Hear'd it went well but a little tail heavy. I reckon EDFs are slow compared to prop pusher. Look better and fit the profile, and sound good, but for me, pusher, pusher, pusher. They have their down sides but I can't think of them now
flymess is offline Find More Posts by flymess
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:26 PM
just about Anything can fly
Australia, NSW, Coffs Harbour
Joined Aug 2012
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flymess View Post
Hear'd it went well but a little tail heavy. I reckon EDFs are slow compared to prop pusher. Look better and fit the profile, and sound good, but for me, pusher, pusher, pusher. They have their down sides but I can't think of them now
a little tail heavy dose not hurt for manouverability and that just means it will accept 6s batts to even it out nicley and that will also up the speed and give prop pushers a run.keeping in mind i built this to perform hovers.high alphas.cobras
ect.

and cheap for an airframe that cost less than $10 i will cirtainly be pushing it's limits
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:40 PM
Corflute Codger
Joined Feb 2011
581 Posts
Corflute delta

Have tried to fly the delta about 7 times with only 1 successful launch. It just flips over and I haven't been quick enough on the sticks to control it inverted. This is exactly what happened with "Pinky" before I added the V-Tail. My assessment of the problem is that the wash from the prop hits the very wide, flat rear of the plane on the right hand side and flips it over. So I quickly cut another V-tail from corflute and zip-tied it just behind the prop. Immediate result. Launched perfectly with no tendency to roll over. I don't think the dimensions are too important but mine is about 70mm high with an inside angle of about 45 degrees. I'm sure this small addition directs the prop-wash backwards before it can smack against the flat rear of the plane. Again I used some bamboo skewers to stop the ties pulling through the corflute. You can shape the tail however you like to make it look good but I didn't bother.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:55 AM
Corflute Codger
Joined Feb 2011
581 Posts
I would love to hear if anyone has had a go at this build and what you think. It's obviously not a trainer but easy to fly with a bit of experience. I've settled for a 2500kv motor and 5x5" prop, but you can go with whatever.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Aug 2012
221 Posts
would like your input my on builds folks or are you waiting for the video?

don't you trust me

AM
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:42 PM
Chesty
Reedy Creek, Qld, Australia.
Joined May 2003
367 Posts
Here's one I built a while ago http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211222
ClimaxPilot is offline Find More Posts by ClimaxPilot
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:55 AM
Corflute Codger
Joined Feb 2011
581 Posts
Looks very neat. Sometime ago yeh? Can you give us any tips about building with corflute. What glue did u use, what would you recommend now?
Any info is good for everyone
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:59 AM
Corflute Codger
Joined Feb 2011
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AERIAL MADMAN View Post
would like your input my on builds folks or are you waiting for the video?

don't you trust me

AM
I'll plump it up Madman until someone gets the corflute bug. (I hope they are not all anal!)
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:27 AM
Chesty
Joined May 2003
367 Posts
Quote:
Looks very neat. Sometime ago yeh? Can you give us any tips about building with corflute. What glue did u use, what would you recommend now?
Any info is good for everyone
Assuming ur referring to the Camel ? I doubt much has changed in glues and coreflute in the past 9 years. If you read the whole thread it's all there, pro's cons of a few different setups. As I said a couple of years ago, it's still in the she awaiting motivation to rebuild the front end, still has all the servos in place ready to go, the push rods are a bit rusty now tho'
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:28 AM
Corflute Codger
Joined Feb 2011
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClimaxPilot View Post
Assuming ur referring to the Camel ? I doubt much has changed in glues and coreflute in the past 9 years. If you read the whole thread it's all there, pro's cons of a few different setups. As I said a couple of years ago, it's still in the she awaiting motivation to rebuild the front end, still has all the servos in place ready to go, the push rods are a bit rusty now tho'
You are still active on your thread so why not give us your updated opinion instead of telling us to search thru' old stuff?
I use hot glue and often sand down and poke holes in the corflute to make sure of a good bind. Any other advice please?
And please don't tell me that that plane is still not flying????
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:55 PM
Chesty
Joined May 2003
367 Posts
Quote:
You are still active on your thread so why not give us your updated opinion instead of telling us to search thru' old stuff?
I use hot glue and often sand down and poke holes in the corflute to make sure of a good bind. Any other advice please?
And please don't tell me that that plane is still not flying????
Apart from a few mugi's that was the last coro plane I built. I pretty much used CA and kicker everywhere on the plane to keep the weight down, always found hot glue a pain to work with, literally, tho always used it on mugi builds for its flexibility at the trailing edge.

In retrospect Speedys camel with a basic brushed geared (brushless now for obvious reasons) rudder elevator wire undercarriage setup is the way to go, flew great, easy to build and repair and flew quite a bit slower than mine.

The industrial bin I spoke of is still there, grabbed some the other day to make some signs, they don't seem to mind, waste not want not I guess.
Last edited by ClimaxPilot; Nov 29, 2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:02 PM
Joined Aug 2012
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClimaxPilot View Post
A good looking Camel.I understand why you may not have rebuilt for when i crash a plane i have put so much effort into to get it looking as neat as possible for the most part it will never be perfect again even though it would probably be a 10 min job.
Was that your last corflute build or just the most impressive?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Aug 2012
221 Posts
Plane Preference

Quote:
I'll plump it up Madman until someone gets the corflute bug. (I hope they are not all anal!)
I have figured it out codger!!
The planes we build are built to fly like and do not necessarily represent specific aircraft,so if i change the name of my last jet to scratchbuilt corflute F-18 hornet it might pass though i dont remember them ever coming in black. .....yes one did
for my next build i might try dumbo though he will have to have cannards and a fuel probe.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:08 AM
Corflute Codger
Joined Feb 2011
581 Posts
one or two of the boys might get offended by the name, thinking it was a reference to themselves. But me, i'll be cool because my fuel probe .......... what was I going to say