more pics of delta build
flymess is offline Find More Posts by flymess
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:12 AM
Corflute Codger
Australia, New South Wales, Fernmount
Joined Feb 2011
581 Posts
Place the servos against the skewers on the outside (inside will be the prop slot) after holding down the wing top, for clearance. As you can see I use zip ties to hold them in place but they will still wobble so I also use a little glue.
Work out where to put electrics and keep wires clear of prop slot. You can use velcro or double sided tape to hold the Rx and I add a zip tie for the heavier ESC.
Cut a little access hatch in the wing top before zip tying it down. Use your own dimensions but I went with 100mm back from nose, 100mm long, and 20mm cut into each side. You can hinge them just like the elevons, or just fold them back. Doesn't matter which, because the plan is to make a nose cone that will cover the hatch.
Cut the prop slot (can be cut from plan but I left it to make sure it was going to be in the right place, even then I mucked it up and mine is only 150mm wide so will be limited to 5" prop) You can cut it to suit what size prop you want but allow for it when you attach the skewers.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:58 AM
Corflute Codger
Joined Feb 2011
581 Posts
Pinky lives

Had a close look at my long time flyer "Pinky", because I thought it had seen too many crashes and was a goner. But, because it's a SPAD, all it needed was a little more glue to make it right. The servos, after many crashes, were twisting a little under strain so didn't have as much authority as they should have. some hot glue to secure them and it flew well again. Make this plane if you want something simple, and to learn how to fly fast on the cheap. Honestly, this thing can take a crash!
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:38 AM
just about Anything can fly
Australia, NSW, Coffs Harbour
Joined Aug 2012
236 Posts
you know i am not a fan of dry larger for my builds and it makes all the difference you know
but new "PINKY" is looking good,is there enough airfoil to move the servos forward and hide them though the pushrods would be longer and there is two layers of corflute overlaping in there isn't there so servo arms would not reach through?
AERIAL MADMAN is offline Find More Posts by AERIAL MADMAN
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:34 PM
Corflute Codger
Joined Feb 2011
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AERIAL MADMAN View Post
you know i am not a fan of dry larger for my builds and it makes all the difference you know
Was confused by this statement, but just realized you must be referring to the beer on the corflute sign I'm using. I didn't even read what is says because when I see a sign I think "what can I make from that?"

The servos can be located inside the wing if desired. There is plenty of space under the aerofoil for them, but I went for external location for simplicity and ease of repair/replacement. There is a lot of room for variation in this design. It wasn't carefully planned and drawn up with consideration given to wingloading, airflow, turbulence, drag, ect. It's was more like "wonder if it will fly if I do THIS"
Anyone who decides to make this "little ripper" can change whatever they like with the details, it's the basic airframe that makes it a good flyer.
I wonder if "little ripper" might be a better name than "Pinky" ? might have been used before, but if not, that's what I'll call this new one.
Last edited by flymess; Oct 31, 2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:49 PM
Corflute Codger
Joined Feb 2011
581 Posts
Time to make the vert stabs or fins. On pinky they were a bit random, about 100mm high and swept back to look cool. This time they are going to be the same height but a bit longer to start with because I want to see what happens. Maybe I will not need the V-tail.
You can see that the fins are held on with 2 zip ties (smallest you can get). They are not glued and can pivot down flat which is good when you throw it in the car. Push a thin skewer into the end flute of each wing top and also that part of the fin that sits on top of wing (you might need to sand them down a bit to get them in). Trim them flush with edges of corflute then poke holes thru' the wing and attach them at the end of the wing top with the ties. they should snap down when pushed and snap back up when lifted. pictures explain better
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:09 PM
Corflute Codger
Joined Feb 2011
581 Posts
Have just attached the vert stabs so here' the pics. I slide a piece of skewer cutt-off under the ties to prevent them from wearing thru' the corflute. There are a lot of zip ties used in this build so use the smallest you can get that will fit, except when mounting the motor because it will need to be strong.
Where you put the ties is up to you. I went for 40mm back from LE and about the same forward of wing top rear. This little part of the build really adds strength to the whole plane so pull those little ties nice and tight
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Aug 2012
236 Posts
looks great i think you can leave the v tail off it

chuck it in the car how about chucky paint it orange and put evil eyes on it
Old Nov 01, 2012, 01:15 AM
Corflute Codger
Joined Feb 2011
581 Posts
Motor mount.
There are a lot of opinions but mine is simple. I use a length of Aluminium, 20mm x 3.00mm flat bar. A whole metre costs 5 or 6 $, but we need only about 80 or 100 mm. I use a standard cross style mount as a template to drill the holes. position the motor on the mount so you can see where to bend it, allowing room for the motor to spin. Then bend the bar in a vice to an angle of about 85degrees. I'm still working with thrust angles but I find the plane wants to pitch up under acceleration if the angle is 90degrees. Anyway it can be bent again to get it right after a couple of flights. Big strong cable tie is used at the back of the mount because that's where the thrust hits. The forward tie doesn't need to be as strong because it just keeps the mount straight. Use skewers in the flutes of the wing top under the motor mount to prevent it being squashed. Do the same with a small length of corflute that goes underneath the plane. See pics
This mount is located for a heli style motor, the red one. If you use a motor like the gold one you will need to mount it forward more so that only the prop is hanging over the prop slot
Last edited by flymess; Nov 01, 2012 at 01:22 AM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:48 AM
Corflute Codger
Joined Feb 2011
581 Posts
If anyone is actually following this build I would really like some feedback on this bit. The nose cone can be made in a couple of ways.(maybe more). There are advantages and limitations to both. What do you want, sleek, cool looking? Or functional, easy access?
I know what worked so well with "pinky" but because it's a new version I thought I'd try the other option. The folds didn't work out so good but you will get the idea I hope.
I also stuff a bit of foam into the nose to cushion the battery when you have those "hard landings"
any duplication of pics is accidental or deliberate
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:41 PM
use the 4s luke, use the 4s...
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
861 Posts
I'd go functional. Unless you want to open it midair from so much speed. That could always be an aim
scrub monkey is offline Find More Posts by scrub monkey
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:46 PM
Corflute Codger
Joined Feb 2011
581 Posts
Some pics of nose cone and hatch flap. This is a bit experimental at this stage. The flap is hinged. It is held down with, you guessed it, skewers! Hope the pics explain. Pls ignore the shadow that makes the wingtop look wonky
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:28 PM
Joined Aug 2012
236 Posts
chucky looks great,no not working for you how about zippy works on two levels?
are the vert stabs glued or is it a fold away job

looking like a maiden flight is imminent
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:19 AM
Corflute Codger
Joined Feb 2011
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AERIAL MADMAN View Post
chucky looks great,no not working for you how about zippy works on two levels?
are the vert stabs glued or is it a fold away job

looking like a maiden flight is imminent
I don't know 1/2 what you're saying but I do like "Chucky" as a name for this plane.
btw the stabs are:
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:25 AM
Corflute Codger
Joined Feb 2011
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrub monkey View Post
I'd go functional. Unless you want to open it midair from so much speed. That could always be an aim
SM This thing is so fast that you couldn't open a window if you were in it. It's shear speed that keeps everything held down (that and zipties)